The implosion of what remains of the Republican party

I understand what you're saying, I just don't see the need for private ownership of assault weapons, and I never really understood why they were legal in the first place.

Now maybe you can educate me, since I get the feeling that you have some knowledge on this topic, why shouldn't assault weapons be illegal? For what practical purpose do they serve?

Maybe I will change my opinion, it's not as if that I have a strong opinion about it one way or another.

Why should whatever your definition of a assault weapon is [ I suspect you have no idea beyond what the media tells you] be illegal? As far as "need" a defensive weapon[as they should be called-I am not "assaulting" anyone-that implies a aggressor] could save your life,or your families-what more of a "need" do you require? The police have no obligation to protect you-only investigate after the fact,if they even do that in a Katerina or LA riots situation.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should whatever your definition of a assault weapon is [ I suspect you have no idea beyond what the media tells you] be illegal? As far as "need" a defensive weapon[as they should be called-I am not "assaulting" anyone-that implies a aggressor] could save your life,or your families-what more of a "need" do you require? The police have no obligation to protect you-only investigate after the fact,if they even do that in a Katerina or LA riots situation.

Ok, relax Jim, no need to get your panties all up in a bunch. It's just a difference of opinion, that's all. Fine, if you think you need a Tec 9 to protect yourself from someone, then who am I to tell you what you believe you need to do to protect yourself. I happen to believe it is overkill, but that's just my opinion. I would think that a revolver or a shotgun would be all the protection that you would need from someone trying to loot your home, but hey, that's just my opinion.

The future of the GOP is to be more socially liberal on issues such as abortion, gay rights, gun control and immigration and be much more conservative on fiscal policies.

When I was a Republican-5 years ago-I could understand your logic, and it holds up to this day. Question is can the party change from the splintered fragments it has been reduced to.

Ya know I honestly hope so.

Ok, relax Jim, no need to get your panties all up in a bunch. It's just a difference of opinion, that's all. Fine, if you think you need a Tec 9 to protect yourself from someone, then who am I to tell you what you believe you need to do to protect yourself. I happen to believe it is overkill, but that's just my opinion. I would think that a revolver or a shotgun would be all the protection that you would need from someone trying to loot your home, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Fine, if thats your opinion, protect yourself with whatever you wish[or not at all] it's up to you.

The problem comes from phrases like"why shouldn't they be illegal" Now you are forcing your opinion on me.

Fine, if thats your opinion, protect yourself with whatever you wish[or not at all] it's up to you.

The problem comes from phrases like"why shouldn't they be illegal" Now you are forcing your opinion on me.

I'm not forcing any opinion on anyone, and I don't feel passionately enough to vote for it one way or another. It is a non issue to me and if someone feels that they need to protect themself with an assault weapon, then so be it.

The future of the GOP is to be more socially liberal on issues such as abortion, gay rights, gun control and immigration and be much more conservative on fiscal policies.

I'm not forcing any opinion on anyone, and I don't feel passionately enough to vote for it one way or another. It is a non issue to me and if someone feels that they need to protect themself with an assault weapon, then so be it.

Fine, leave it at that, but are you not somewhat undercutting your own post?

Fine, leave it at that, but are you not somewhat undercutting your own post?

It's just my belief, and I think the Hoffman/Owens race is a microcosm of the point that I am trying to make. Look, Hoffman is a Conservative in every issue, including the social ones such as being against abortion, gay rights and etc. and look what is happening. He is in a moderate/Republican leaning part of the state, and the voters aren't being swayed by him. I would venture to guess that if he was a staunch fiscal conservative, but wasn't so conservative in the social issues, the race would be different.

I happen to believe that the future of the country is being more moderate when it comes to these issues, but remaining very conservative in fiscal policies. That's not forcing my opinion on anyone, it's just my view.

Jersey gets a bad rep for North Jersey, Trenton, and Camden.

Hey hey hey.

Wait. You're right.

On a related matter, so long mr. snake oil selling investment banker. You won't be missed.

Calling for something to be illegal [as you did]is forcing your opinion. On the other issues I agree the GOP needs to reassess the whole anti abortion/stem cell research position. It probably costs them 10 votes for every one it gains. It is a negative vote getter, which is why you rarely hear a Dem. mention gun control any more. Gay marriage is irreverent to 98% of voters. Fiscal conservatism should define a Republican,but unfortunately it does not always play in areas long accustomed to feeding at the public teat. The voters worry more about their gov't paychecks and pet projects then taxs.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/sbal11031.htm

So okay, according to Gekko here the two republican nominees were trouncing the democratic nominee by a 2 to 1 margin last week.

What's the story now morning glory?

Plus it pisses off the supporters of the far right conservative axis of whack job Palin, drunk bawler Boner, and addicted lard ass Limbaugh.

Good to see that ever present ACORN factor made a difference!

Calling for something to be illegal [as you did]is forcing your opinion. On the other issues I agree the GOP needs to reassess the whole anti abortion/stem cell research position. It probably costs them 10 votes for every one it gains. It is a negative vote getter, which is why you rarely hear a Dem. mention gun control any more. Gay marriage is irreverent to 98% of voters. Fiscal conservatism should define a Republican,but unfortunately it does not always play in areas long accustomed to feeding at the public teat. The voters worry more about their gov't paychecks and pet projects then taxs.

Abortion should be VERY relevant, as that is a political issue, Gay marriage should be irrelevant, because that is a religious issue raised by the fundamentalist zealots.

I am all for gum control....people should chew with their mouths CLOSED!

When I was a Republican-5 years ago-I could understand your logic, and it holds up to this day. Question is can the party change from the splintered fragments it has been reduced to.

Ya know I honestly hope so.

Splintered fragments???? And you're calling other people delusional? A republican won by 20 points in Virginia and by 5 points in the deep deep blue democratic state of New Jersey. That was a supreme ass kicking my friend. The sane majority of the people of these states just gave Obama, Pelosi and Reid the official middle finger yesterday.

:devil:

BTW, the sound you just heard was a canary hitting the floor of a coal mine.

I don't think that's true, unless you're talking about the Bosnian Civil War.

Just to clarify, I don't know if the district numbers changed over the years, but...

"The outcome made history in the rural House district covering Northern and Central New York, one of the geographically largest east of the Mississippi. It is the first time someone other than a Republican has represented the heart of the region – Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Franklin counties – since the GOP was established in 1856 and the first Republicans were seated in the House in 1857.

The last Democrat elected to a House seat from the region was Frances E. Spinner, who represented St. Lawrence County in Congress from 1855 to 1857."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200...wins_hard-.html

"A battle for a vacant Republican U.S. House seat worked against the GOP in upstate New York. The contest to fill the seat sparked a vicious internal fight between GOP conservatives and moderates. The struggle was viewed as a proxy for a national struggle between activists arguing the GOP slipped by betraying conservative values and officials warning a rightward move would further alienate an increasingly independent-minded electorate.

The split resulted in the election of Bill Owens -- the first Democratic congressman from that region since the late 1800s."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/04/ele...aces/index.html

Like I said, I don't think the races yesterday were a referendum on Obama for either side, but dealt more with state/local issues. The moderate Republicans in the 23rd probably looked at Hoffman's social views, and considered what impact he would have on Fort Drum and revitalizing the former Griffiss air base area, and decided to go with a moderate like they had represent them before.

If anything, this win will enbolden Democrats in Congress that they can still win in a Republican district while advocating Democratic policies. But I expect it will also energize the far right, as they set their sights next on Charlie Christ in Florida, who is in a Republican Senate primary with conservative Marko Rubio.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/sbal11031.htm

So okay, according to Gekko here the two republican nominees were trouncing the democratic nominee by a 2 to 1 margin last week.

What's the story now morning glory?

Plus it pisses off the supporters of the far right conservative axis of whack job Palin, drunk bawler Boner, and addicted lard ass Limbaugh.

Good to see that ever present ACORN factor made a difference!

Sorry, the stars aren't aligned Ms supernova. Your standard bearer got less than 50% of the vote. Please wake me when this lefty takeover of the country is over.

Like I said, I don't think the races yesterday were a referendum on Obama for either side, but dealt more with state/local issues. The moderate Republicans in the 23rd probably looked at Hoffman's social views, and considered what impact he would have on Fort Drum and revitalizing the former Griffiss air base area, and decided to go with a moderate like they had represent them before.

If anything, this win will enbolden Democrats in Congress that they can still win in a Republican district while advocating Democratic policies. But I expect it will also energize the far right, as they set their sights next on Charlie Christ in Florida, who is in a Republican Senate primary with conservative Marko Rubio.

It is far more likely that Hoffman's loss, which I admit disappointed me, will help the Republicans realize that they shouldn't just pick a person and shove them into a race without a primary. DeDe made sense to the right because they realized what Obama was doing and, like a bunch of McCain-loving pussies, figured it was easier to go with a Snowe-/Specter-like R for the sake of keeping an R there. I would argue that the left didn't win anything up there so much as the right lost because they were too busy looking at letters and not listening to the people.

When you see the absolutely ass-stomping that took place in VA and NJ, it made for an interesting night for everyone interested.

But my favorite headline coming out of this election was this one: Gibbs tells Politico that Obama isn't watching the returns.

Let me get this right: you make five visits for Corzine, three for Deeds and send Biden to Watertown, NY...but you're NOT paying attention to the returns? It's like Paris Hilton is our president. :devil:

I agree with this part

If anything, this win will enbolden Democrats in Congress that they can still win in a Republican district while advocating Democratic policies.

Not at all, the only ones it will enbolden are the liberals who are safe in their districts, the moderate democrats in red states are nervous about how the Virginia race turned out. It wasn't just a victory, but a 18 point landslide, in a state that was steadily moving to the left over the past 8 years. The district 23 race was an anomaly, and this sort of distinct situation won't be the norm. In regards to Marko Rubio, I live here in Florida, and this guy has got a very bright future. Don't let Tingles fool you into believing he is some sort of right wing wack job. The guy is very with it, he is young, energetic, and extremely charismatic. The perception that MSNBC is painting (which I'm sure is where you are drawing your conclusions) is very different from what reality is. The people here in Florida like him, and I have a feeling that he may beat out Crist. I happen to also like Crist as well, although I wasn't too happy with him supporting the Stimulus Sham, but all in all, he's a good guy that is well liked here, even though his popularity ratings have been going down. I believe some people are starting to get the feeling that his only interest is to keep climbing up the latter until he gets to the top, disregarding his post. The decision to not run for governor again was a bad one in my view, and he definitely is losing support because of it. I don't know who I will vote for out of those two, my main concern is the fiscal conservative issues, as I don't give a flying rats ass about the social ones.

But I expect it will also energize the far right, as they set their sights next on Charlie Christ in Florida, who is in a Republican Senate primary with conservative Marko Rubio.

I would argue that the left didn't win anything up there so much as the right lost because they were too busy looking at letters and not listening to the people.

Absolutely!

But my favorite headline coming out of this election was this one: Gibbs tells Politico that Obama isn't watching the returns.

:blink:

Let me get this right: you make five visits for Corzine, three for Deeds and send Biden to Watertown, NY...but you're NOT paying attention to the returns? It's like Paris Hilton is our president. :blink:

:devil::lol::censored:

Splintered fragments???? And you're calling other people delusional? A republican won by 20 points in Virginia and by 5 points in the deep deep blue democratic state of New Jersey. That was a supreme ass kicking my friend. The sane majority of the people of these states just gave Obama, Pelosi and Reid the official middle finger yesterday.

<_<

BTW, the sound you just heard was a canary hitting the floor of a coal mine.

Coulda swore the title of the thread had something to do with NY's 23rd.