Ralphy's ceremony is on!

drhockey

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not as much of a fan of Mr. Wilson as I used to be, I wouldn't do anything that would make him less inclined to want to do what he can to keep the team in Buffalo. I think that he is an inefficient owner and quite frankly, I'm sick of feeling like a hostage and hope he dies sooner than later so we can just dicover our fate now instead of always worrying about it. That being said, I don't think booing could possibly accomplish anything at this point. If he got overwhelming boos he could just as easily say, "ya know what, screw these people, I don't care if the team stays here or not when I'm gone."

I think privately he has already said that.

What I just don't get is how does selling the team guarantee that the Bills stay in Buffalo?

It has happened in the past, that part of the stipulation agreed upon for a sale is that it not move. Sadly, Buffalo isn't a productive enough market for anyone to agree to that though.

It'd be wrong to boo RW this Sunday. That said, he's the reason this team is on the treadmill of mediocrity this decade and it won't shock me if people shower him with boos.

The PR department is definitely taking advantage of their winning streak, which is par for the course. Perhaps only the Washington Redskins have alienated their fans and established more of a bunker mentality than Buffalo.

BillsVet, Not only is this owner clueless, he is shameless. Over the past decade the Bills have ranked 29 out of the 32 teams in the league for its embarrassing record. During the same period of time he has made approximately a quarter of a BILLION dollars (Forbes estimates). This is the same classless owner who when he was at the podium in Toronto announcing the Toronta games made disparaging remarks about western NY. This is the same miserable baron who will put the team up for auction to the highest bidder when he passes.

Normally, I would find it distateful and unacceptable to boo such an elderly person. But if I were at the games I would boo my lungs out. When my lungs were exhausted I would dig deeper and boo my guts out.

I don't know what this narcisstic fool is thinking. Why would he expose himself to such possible humiliation? It is obvious he is out of touch. He needs to go. :unsure:

That is an interesting point ....

If you can take the emotion of being a long sufferering Bills fan out of the equation ...

Exactly what is Ralph's responsibilities as an owner (remember I said owner NOT fan)? His responsibility is to provide a product, in a market, that sells (and puts money in his pocket by the way).

I think we can all agree that he has done just that ... it may be an inferior product, I won't argue that, but it DOES sell. We fans want to win ... owners want to profit, that's just the way it is. We can blame him all we want for being a piss poor Bills fan but you gotta agree that he is a pretty darn good owner.

BOO all you want don't make the fact that I think it is pretty classless stop you .... but I think a more fitting "demonstartion" would be if the fans drowned out his speach with the chant "WE WANT A WINNER"

an even better demonstaration would be a dip in ticket sales to tell him an inferior product will NO LONGER SELL in Buffalo ... then again you have to worry if he can find another market willing to buy his inferior product.

Fine, if, as you say, he is only in it for the money at this point (and no one can persuasivley argue otherwise), than why wheel him out at halftime and put the onus on the fans he has shown contempt for to kiss his ass?

He's already had his enshrinement for crissakes.

He's venturing into Kim Jong Il territory.

Fine, if, as you say, he is only in it for the money at this point (and no one can persuasivley argue otherwise), than why wheel him out at halftime and put the onus on the fans he has shown contempt for to kiss his ass?

He's already had his enshrinement for crissakes.

He's venturing into Kim Jong Il territory.

WEO, I don't get it? What is the point of having the ceremony? Who was clamoring for it? What do you expect from some delusional baron who controls the naming rights to a stadium he didn't pay for and then names it after himself? :unsure:

Just because he has provided a product that the people of Buffalo have wanted in the past, and still seem to want.

I'm a big believer in "market place" economics. The fans buying tickets, T-shirts, hats, etc etc etc year after year are obviously satisfied with the product being presented ergo they keep buying and make the owner a profit. This provides no incentive to cut the profit margin to improve the end product. What does everyone think made Ralph open his wallet to allow the team of the 90's to be built ..... Ralph wanting a winner ..... or ..... the empty seats born of the dismal 70's and 80's?

The team was so bad the fans didn't worry about the the team moving enough to endure (and pay for) another bad game/season so they stayed away in droves which in turn hit Ralph in the only place he understands ... his wallet.

Today the people of Buffalo are so afraid the Bills will move they pack the stands each and every game ... so reap what you have sown .... be thankful Buffalo still has a team ... buy your ticket .... pay for parking ... eat a hot dog .... buy a beer ..... quit your whining and cheer for the owner

It'd be wrong to boo RW this Sunday.

The PR department is definitely taking advantage of their winning streak, which is par for the course. Perhaps only the Washington Redskins have alienated their fans and established more of a bunker mentality than Buffalo.

I agree. It's a bit cheesy that he will come down to accept his ring in front of the fans only after the team wins a couple games and the mood is lighter. That being said, it would be totally classless of Bills fans to boo the guy. Making the HOF is kind of an honor for the whole city. He reprsents Buffalo in a way.

The Redskins have banned paper bags and signage from being brought into FedEx Field. Now they have banned news reporters from interviewing fans and shooting stories from the parking lots around the stadium. They are trying to squash any public displays of negativity....which is funny because the more they try to control the flow of information, the more Redskins fans are becoming irate and alienated.

I agree. It's a bit cheesy that he will come down to accept his ring in front of the fans only after the team wins a couple games and the mood is lighter. That being said, it would be totally classless of Bills fans to boo the guy. Making the HOF is kind of an honor for the whole city. He reprsents Buffalo in a way.

The Redskins have banned paper bags and signage from being brought into FedEx Field. Now they have banned news reporters from interviewing fans and shooting stories from the parking lots around the stadium. They are trying to squash any public displays of negativity....which is funny because the more they try to control the flow of information, the more Redskins fans are becoming irate and alienated.

zow2, Do you want to know what is really more cheesy? Putting the team on the auction block when you pass away and expect to be embraced by the fans in the region who have supported you for half a century. It is bad enough that he has continued to provide an uncompetitive and unentertaining product on the field while he is enriched beyond imagination, but to have a cermoney in front of the abused fans is tasteless in itself.

If Art Modell had an award ceremony in Cleveland how do you expect he would be received? If Robert Irsay, the former owner of the Baltimore Colts, who moved the franchise in the dead of night to Idianapolis, how do you think he would be received in Maryland?

I don't know for sure how the people at the games will respond. But what I do know is that people who don't show respect usualy won't get respect in return. Whatever he gets he deserves. :unsure:

As far as I'm concerned, this piece of **** owner deserves all the boos our little lungs can deliver for the single reason that he refuses to secure the franchise's future in Buffalo.

Do you have proof of your allegations? A rumor came out well over a year ago that there was already a plan in place to keep the team in Buffalo after his passing. Unless you have definitive proof that the rumor is false, you're blowing hot air.

WEO, I don't get it? What is the point of having the ceremony? Who was clamoring for it? What do you expect from some delusional baron who controls the naming rights to a stadium he didn't pay for and then names it after himself? :lol:

He didn't name it after himself, genius. :unsure: The governor of New York and the Erie County Commissioner chose the name

zow2, Do you want to know what is really more cheesy? Putting the team on the auction block when you pass away and expect to be embraced by the fans in the region who have supported you for half a century. It is bad enough that he has continued to provide an uncompetitive and unentertaining product on the field while he is enriched beyond imagination, but to have a cermoney in front of the abused fans is tasteless in itself.

If Art Modell had an award ceremony in Cleveland how do you expect he would be received? If Robert Irsay, the former owner of the Baltimore Colts, who moved the franchise in the dead of night to Idianapolis, how do you think he would be received in Maryland?

I don't know for sure how the people at the games will respond. But what I do know is that people who don't show respect usualy won't get respect in return. Whatever he gets he deserves. :unsure:

I'm not defending the product on the field. Personally, i don't think they should have a ceremony on the field at all after they cancelled it once for obvious reasons. IMO, i don't agree with booing the guy for something like this. You don't have to cheer either. Go get a beer and take a pee. How do you compare Ralph with Art Modell and Irsay?!? He hasn't moved the team as far as i can tell. I'm under the (possibly misguided) illusion that when the team goes up for sale, some big conglomerate (i.e. Kelly running the show with Golisano's money)....will step up to keep the team in B-Lo. Sorry if i have hope.

I'm not defending the product on the field. Personally, i don't think they should have a ceremony on the field at all after they cancelled it once for obvious reasons. IMO, i don't agree with booing the guy for something like this. You don't have to cheer either. Go get a beer and take a pee. How do you compare Ralph with Art Modell and Irsay?!? He hasn't moved the team as far as i can tell. I'm under the (possibly misguided) illusion that when the team goes up for sale, some big conglomerate (i.e. Kelly running the show with Golisano's money)....will step up to keep the team in B-Lo. Sorry if i have hope.

You obviously missed the point of his rant. He's already written Ralph off as having moved the franchise years ago because he hasn't sold the team for a buck fifty to Kelly with the promise that the team will forever stay in Buffalo - even if Kelly sells the team again in 5 years. See basically, either Ralph does something right now to absolutely guarantee the team stay in Buffalo for another 50 years or he sucks and has no loyalty. Understand the beauty of the arguement now?

by the way we can speak about why we should or shouldnt boo the guy right?

RW doesnt care if you boo him or not! duh!

if you do, he will think this, "fans bood me. so what i'm rich b&&@@ch. after all i did for them...why????oh yeah the team has sucked for a long time"

he wont even remember he was booed the next day.

fans do what you like. i wouldnt do it. i also understand why others would.

(i prefer you booed him so much, he decides to move team to la-but thats just me) :unsure:

if nothing else, he deserves to be booed for selling a home game to toronto.

Or cheered for making the effort to expand the team's market, thereby increasing profits and making the team more economically viable in a less-than-stellar-to-put-it-kindly area.

But go ahead and be short sighted.

Do you have proof of your allegations? A rumor came out well over a year ago that there was already a plan in place to keep the team in Buffalo after his passing. Unless you have definitive proof that the rumor is false, you're blowing hot air.

He didn't name it after himself, genius. :unsure: The governor of New York and the Erie County Commissioner chose the name

Erie County owns the stadium. Ralph Wilson has SOLE control of the lease. All the advertisements within the stadium go to RW. The owner has the ability to sell the naming rights to the stadium and receive income. For whatever reason he doesn't want to do it. When the Penguins and Sabres played at the outdoor game at the stadium he received the rent for the game. Again, my point is that he controls the lease and because of that control over the facility he is the person who won't allow the naming rights for the stadium.

Erie County owns the stadium. Ralph Wilson has SOLE control of the lease. All the advertisements within the stadium go to RW. The owner has the ability to sell the naming rights to the stadium and receive income. For whatever reason he doesn't want to do it. When the Penguins and Sabres played at the outdoor game at the stadium he received the rent for the game. Again, my point is that he controls the lease and because of that control over the facility he is the person who won't allow the naming rights for the stadium.

Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that tax money from ordinary people paid for this stadium and , consequently, rw's profiteering, Yet Buffalo may lose the team because this same cheap billionaire jerk wants to avoid paying his fair share of taxes on his enormous wealth? No one should feel guilty about donning a Mr. Banks mask or booing or doing whatever to show their displeasure.