Lost in the last 2 victories role of huddle offense

everyone's talking fitz vs trent, and byrd's picks ... certainly worthy discussion points. but the only real change to approach has been abandonement of no huddle. it does seem like the oline is playing better and taking far fewer penalties. and how about the defense getting a bit more rest on the sidelines? i always questioned the logic of running the no-huddle with a down tempo QB and highly inexperienced o-line. do the last 2 games prove it was a fail?

everyone's talking fitz vs trent, and byrd's picks ... certainly worthy discussion points. but the only real change to approach has been abandonement of no huddle. it does seem like the oline is playing better and taking far fewer penalties. and how about the defense getting a bit more rest on the sidelines? i always questioned the logic of running the no-huddle with a down tempo QB and highly inexperienced o-line. do the last 2 games prove it was a fail?

I still do not like all the audibles and every time looks like we audible to simple pitch sweep or run. When will this offense start getting creative with screens to RB and WR also more play action??

The last two games only prove that the Bills can eek out victories against teams/QBs that gift-wrap the football and give them away as presents.

I love this. Of course, it was the other teams that screwed up and the Bills did absolutely nothing to screw them up at all. It is more important to be negative than give credit to the fact that the Bills have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Of course, there's this: http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees/gamelogs?id=BRE229498

His worst game of the season stat wise was against us. But I guess Brees just decided not to try that day either. :devil:

Although huddling up may have helped the line get their heads in the game regarding the snap count, the Bills' no huddle was not a hurry up offense. In other words, it did not lead to less time of possession - that is yet another falsehood that is rampant on this board.

week 1 - Bills -22:52 Pats* -37:08

week 2 - Bills -29:33 Bucs -30:27

week 3 - Bills -26:26 Saints -33:34

week 4 - Bills -22:51 Fins -37:09

week 5 - Bills -31:34 Browns -28:26

week 6 - Bills -39:03 Jets -33:13

week 7 - Bills -25:20 Pants -34:40

source: nfl.com

In the no huddle, we lost TOP in 3 games, won TOP in 1 game, and 1 game was essentially equal. So, 3/5 or 60% of the games we lost TOP. In the last 2 games we huddled up, but only had the TOP advantage in the first game. So, 50% of our games we lost TOP.

Yeah, yeah, not enough games, stats are flawed, did I watch the games, all of that. But, the end result is the same. The Bills did not run a hurry up no huddle; they routinely hiked the ball with 10 seconds or less on the clock. Hence, they did not lose TOP in every one of their games.

However, I do believe going back to a huddle offense has helped the offense the last two weeks. The line seems to be much more on the same page and making fewer fundamental mistakes. But, I there's no reason to think it's given them an edge in the TOP statistic.

I finally got to watch the Carolina game and have a few observations.

1) Fitz played pretty good. He only made three bad passes. The rest were catchable.

2) TO was not trying all that hard to make catches at the start of the game. Dropping easy balls. Then later on started catching the ball for whatever reason.

3) The O-line couldn't open a tuna can let alone open a rushing lane for Marshawn.

4) The D-line did OK considering the Panthers O-line is seasoned and the running game is their bread and butter.

5) The bottom line is the O-line has to improve for this team to improve.

Following up Dan's post, TOP wasn't the issue. Not converting 3rd downs is and has been the issue. It seems we're always on the wrong side of our 20 yrd line because our D is 'bending' enough to give the opposition a couple first downs, move to/past mid field, then bury us deep. The last couple weeks, our opponents gave us turnovers which kind of turned the tide the other way- allowing Moorman to bury the other team deep.

Huddle, no huddle, it didn't make a difference without moving the chains. As for a more settled OLine, I figured that would come in time. I don't think the No-huddle had anything to do with the penalties they were getting early on.

JMO.

Did anyone yet mention the striking resemblence between Jake Delhomme and Rian Lindell? I'm sure there's a lot of things we can still cover besides "who's your favorite all-time Bill?". If I have to see that one again, I'm gonna hurl.