Big CF tonight and tomorrow (at least) in the SF Bay Area

Wacka

On Labor Day weekend, while schedule construction was being done, a cracked I-bar was found on another part of the Oakland- Bay Bridge. Quickly a bracket was designed, made , and put in place and the bridge opened only an hour behind schedule.

Today at 5:30, the bracket made in September and a cable attached to it fell onto the upper deck of the bridge. No one was seriously hurt (just auto glass fragments in eyes) and three vehicles were damaged. They are closing the entire bridge.

On Labor Day weekend, the closure was planned and it was a holiday weekend, so there wasn't much trouble. This closure will really cause a cluster **** tonight and tomorrow as about 500,000 cars go over it a day.

At least Chef Jim will have a quiet night, as he lives in the shadow of the bridge.

On Labor Day weekend, while schedule construction was being done, a cracked I-bar was found on another part of the Oakland- Bay Bridge. Quickly a bracket was designed, made , and put in place and the bridge opened only an hour behind schedule.

Today at 5:30, the bracket made in September and a cable attached to it fell onto the upper deck of the bridge. No one was seriously hurt (just auto glass fragments in eyes) and three vehicles were damaged. They are closing the entire bridge.

On Labor Day weekend, the closure was planned and it was a holiday weekend, so there wasn't much trouble. This closure will really cause a cluster **** tonight and tomorrow as about 500,000 cars go over it a day.

At least Chef Jim will have a quiet night, as he lives in the shadow of the bridge.

So the bridge is closed to all traffic?

Wonder how many bike riders are abiding by that decision by peddling over the bridge?

Took over two hours to clear the approaches.

Man, thats brutal. Gotta assume the whole metro area is whacked about now

About 10 years or so ago, guy was theratining to jump from the Wilson bridge.(.that is the draw bridge on the beltway south of DC that seperates VA and MD.) Police closed the beltway down as they tried to talk the guy down, and within two hrs the entire cioty in all directions was pure gridlock. Worst day of traffic in my 15 years there.

Anyway, it was really dumb as the wilson is only like 40 ft from the river anyway, dude finally jump, they plucked him from the river non the worse for wear :devil::thumbdown:

Man, thats brutal. Gotta assume the whole metro area is whacked about now

About 10 years or so ago, guy was theratining to jump from the Wilson bridge.(.that is the draw bridge on the beltway south of DC that seperates VA and MD.) Police closed the beltway down as they tried to talk the guy down, and within two hrs the entire cioty in all directions was pure gridlock. Worst day of traffic in my 15 years there.

Anyway, it was really dumb as the wilson is only like 40 ft from the river anyway, dude finally jump, they plucked him from the river non the worse for wear :devil::thumbdown:

It actually took almost 4 hours. The last cars crossed at 9 PM.

Took someone I know 1 hour and 45 minutes to get in this morning. That included getting a ride to a nearby BART station, changing trains and walking 6-7 blocks (she works next to the Bridge in SF, in fact a block from Chef Jim's house). The winds have been high, so the crews haven't been up there to work on it. The repairs are about 120 feet above the roadway and he winds have been about 20 mph with gusts to 30.

The alternatives are :

1) to take the BART

2) drive up to Richmond, across the Richmond San Rafael Bridge, down through Marin County (past San Quentin) and then over the Golden Gate Bridge into SF or

3) Down the east bay to the San Mateo Bridge (at least 15 miles), across the Bridge (10 miles) and back up the Peninsula to SF

It actually took almost 4 hours. The last cars crossed at 9 PM.

Took someone I know 1 hour and 45 minutes to get in this morning. That included getting a ride to a nearby BART station, changing trains and walking 6-7 blocks (she works next to the Bridge in SF, in fact a block from Chef Jim's house). The winds have been high, so the crews haven't been up there to work on it. The repairs are about 120 feet above the roadway and he winds have been about 20 mph with gusts to 30.

saw after I posted this was last night I guess Could not pay me enough to do those repairs...i way to scared of heights