Notes and Musings...

Well, I thoroughly enjoy reading the bulleted observations that some of you post after the games. It's nice to get a glimpse of how someone else viewed the Bills performance, and, even if I don't always agree with the points being made, I still always enjoy reading posts of that style.

So I will throw my hat into the ring and try to do my own version each Monday after a game. Let's go!

-His hands can be seriously questioned but his speed cannot -- T.O. can still consistently run by corners, and I think we have witnessed this on a nearly weekly basis. Now, I won't claim we have a high probability of completing said attempts, given his giant frying pans and our QBs questionable accuracy, but I still see an elite burst from Owens and am not sure exactly what anyone is watching who claims he has been reduced to a possession receiver only.

-Fitz, at this point, gives this team a better chance to win than Trent -- and I'm not sure how this could be logically argued otherwise. He moves better in the pocket, sees the middle of the field and is capable of taking a simple drop and releasing the ball when it needs to be. Those reasons alone are plenty for me.

-My theory on the O-Line: I think we are going to continue to improve each week, and I'm holding out hope that this incredibly-young unit could still be the long-term future as it exists now. I think the reason we struggle with run blocking but are adequate in pass protect is simple. A young line means less time in a professional strength and conditioning program, which equates to less developed bodies. We aren't seeing the explosion in run blocking because they simply have not developed the raw strength it takes to get a consistent and explosive push. I think the talent is there, and, if they can stay intact everything else will come together.

-Jairus Byrd is fantastic. It's nice to have a first-day draft pick completely live up to and exceed the hyoe in the exact areas he was expected to provide help.

-Somehow, we have managed to develop a bit of a nasty streak on 4th and short. I have no idea why, as it completely defies all logic in regards to our defensive unit.

-Moorman and the coverage teams easily had their finest day. Maybe this is a sign that there's some cohesion on our special teams. Ahem, sorry Mr. Parrish, you are in fact done here.

-Poz is active, but he really does not provide any pop in the middle. I am increasingly underwhelmed with his athleticism and raw, play making ability.

-Once again, guys, it wasn't pretty, but Tricky Dick has inexplicably been able to make these guys compete. And, if we can get into the BYE at 4-4, with all our remaining divisional match-ups at home or in Rodgers, look out. This could be exciting.

Good day, and Go Bills! We're not circling yet, but we're starting to cluster.

Ironically the special teams issue does tend to get overlooked. The Bills ST were fantastic yesterday on coverage and were hammering the returners the minute they touched the Ball. It's not surprising that Carolina fumbled one away, the guy probably thought he was going to get leveled.

That was some of the best ST coverage I've seen since Tasker and Pike were playing.

Ironically the special teams issue does tend to get overlooked. The Bills ST were fantastic yesterday on coverage and were hammering the returners the minute they touched the Ball. It's not surprising that Carolina fumbled one away, the guy probably thought he was going to get leveled.

That was some of the best ST coverage I've seen since Tasker and Pike were playing.

I agree it's somewhat overlooked, but I think they only have themselves to blame. We were all so used to seeing stellar special team play that the fall off early this year was incredibly disappointing. Hopefully, Bobby April has gotten that under control.

I doubt it's a coincidence that the turnaround aligns itself with Roscoe's benching. Maybe the message has been sent: if you don't do your job, you won't have your job.

Well, I thoroughly enjoy reading the bulleted observations that some of you post after the games. It's nice to get a glimpse of how someone else viewed the Bills performance, and, even if I don't always agree with the points being made, I still always enjoy reading posts of that style.

So I will throw my hat into the ring and try to do my own version each Monday after a game. Let's go!

-His hands can be seriously questioned but his speed cannot -- T.O. can still consistently run by corners, and I think we have witnessed this on a nearly weekly basis. Now, I won't claim we have a high probability of completing said attempts, given his giant frying pans and our QBs questionable accuracy, but I still see an elite burst from Owens and am not sure exactly what anyone is watching who claims he has been reduced to a possession receiver only.

-Fitz, at this point, gives this team a better chance to win than Trent -- and I'm not sure how this could be logically argued otherwise. He moves better in the pocket, sees the middle of the field and is capable of taking a simple drop and releasing the ball when it needs to be. Those reasons alone are plenty for me.

-My theory on the O-Line: I think we are going to continue to improve each week, and I'm holding out hope that this incredibly-young unit could still be the long-term future as it exists now. I think the reason we struggle with run blocking but are adequate in pass protect is simple. A young line means less time in a professional strength and conditioning program, which equates to less developed bodies. We aren't seeing the explosion in run blocking because they simply have not developed the raw strength it takes to get a consistent and explosive push. I think the talent is there, and, if they can stay intact everything else will come together.

-Jairus Byrd is fantastic. It's nice to have a first-day draft pick completely live up to and exceed the hyoe in the exact areas he was expected to provide help.

-Somehow, we have managed to develop a bit of a nasty streak on 4th and short. I have no idea why, as it completely defies all logic in regards to our defensive unit.

-Moorman and the coverage teams easily had their finest day. Maybe this is a sign that there's some cohesion on our special teams. Ahem, sorry Mr. Parrish, you are in fact done here.

-Poz is active, but he really does not provide any pop in the middle. I am increasingly underwhelmed with his athleticism and raw, play making ability.

-Once again, guys, it wasn't pretty, but Tricky Dick has inexplicably been able to make these guys compete. And, if we can get into the BYE at 4-4, with all our remaining divisional match-ups at home or in Rodgers, look out. This could be exciting.

Good day, and Go Bills! We're not circling yet, but we're starting to cluster.

All interesting takes US...I'll give you a couple of counters..

1) TO-- TO had the corner on the 3rd and 2 play when we up 17-9 and trying to ice the ball with about 5 minutes left. The play happened right in front of us. He got beat to the corner by the safety and the corner who had both momentarily bit on an inside run fake that was nicely executed by Fitz. I was shocked. I agree he still has wheels but he looked like he had a piano on his back on that play.

2) The O-line is also suffering from a lack of continuity from week to week. The starting group has changed every week but the last two. I agree strength needs to be improved -- but its tough to play well -- even with a group of strong vets-- when you trying to synchronize with a guy that you basically just met. The Panthers stunted, run blitzed and pass blitzed the hell out of the Bills yesterday. All things that are tough to adjust for when you are just being introduced to the guy next to you. The Bills best games were the first two when Butler was in there. I guess the good news is that we are building depth...the bad news is the Bills may run out of QB's as a sacrifice.

3) Poz had the penetration and the stop on the 4th and 1 in the 4th Q..he made a great play.

4) Someone else said that this game may have been the Bills best special teams effort since the Tasker and Pike days. I would concur....Kick and Punt coverage were amazing. Moorman, Justin Jenkins, Derek Fine, Corey McIntyre, Ashton Youboty, Ashlee Palmer--the list goes on....all shone brightly. The Panthers had to go a whole lot of yards just to get out of the shadow of their own goal.

5) Until the Offense kicks in and sustains drives the Bills need what they had yesterday. Virtually no mistakes (Turnovers and Penalties); excellent special teams; great execution of the Tampa 2 strategy of bend (bend a freakin' lot) and don't break. The offense will kick in --unfortunately the D may be exhausted when it does.

I thought he looked greatly improved this year before the injury. Since then I'd say he looks pretty galdanged good for a guy playing Middle Linebacker with one arm.