Microsoft Screws Up Again.

Steely Dan

right, morons.

so what do PC users have to look forward to in support of their product by comparison. i'm guessing those arguments, to use your post, would sound something like: "microsoft is the greatest, it often crashes, it always needs updates, it has numerous security problems."

yay.

jw

Wow John, I expected more from you... You're making yourself look like a moron, just like I said in my post.

If you actually read my posts, you'll see me constantly saying that Windows actually does not crash very often (and when it does, it's generally because of either bad hardware, or people installing bad, non-MS software -- stuff that probably isn't even available on Mac, thus adding to the "Mac never crashes" fallacy). Yeah, back in the Win95, Win98, WinME, and Win2k days, it did crash quite frequently. Not so with WinXP and Vista (and Win7). Even your Motorola software comment points to bad 3rd party software, and has nothing to do with the OS itself, now does it? (of course you'll also see that I'm not really a Windows or Mac guy, but rather do most of my daily work on UNIX).

Mac actually has a high number of security issues and updates as well, but Mac folks seem to just brush them off. I'll even do your research for you:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

But it's pointless arguing with people who aren't willing to actually open up their eyes. Like I said - it's a tool; use what you like, but must people always bash other options? Each platform has its pluses and minuses.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal preferences aside (I've owned nothing but PCs, because I learned to loathe the Apple II at a young and impressionable age), most of the design people I know are strongly in the Mac camp -- I gather from them that both Quark and InDesign (which is what our shop uses) tend to bog down on a Windows platform.

I mostly use mine for a word processor, though, so that doesn't concern me. Can't tell you the last time this Vista rig locked up, and I only reboot it when I absolutely have to (installing updates). 17" widescreen monitor, multiple USB ports, and all the memory I need, for well under the price of even a basic Apple laptop.

As for the GUI, I was using a drag-and-drop interface on a C64 in the mid-eighties. GEOS, anyone?

Personal preferences aside (I've owned nothing but PCs, because I learned to loathe the Apple II at a young and impressionable age), most of the design people I know are strongly in the Mac camp -- I gather from them that both Quark and InDesign (which is what our shop uses) tend to bog down on a Windows platform.

I mostly use mine for a word processor, though, so that doesn't concern me. Can't tell you the last time this Vista rig locked up, and I only reboot it when I absolutely have to (installing updates). 17" widescreen monitor, multiple USB ports, and all the memory I need, for well under the price of even a basic Apple laptop.

As for the GUI, I was using a drag-and-drop interface on a C64 in the mid-eighties. GEOS, anyone?

Part of it is comfort as well -- Quark was released on Mac first and not ported to Windows for ~5 years if I recall. So people who first used Quark did so on a Mac -- and generally people don't like change.

GEOS brings back some memories.... :worthy:

Wow John, I expected more from you... You're making yourself look like a moron, just like I said in my post.

If you actually read my posts, you'll see me constantly saying that Windows actually does not crash very often (and when it does, it's generally because of either bad hardware, or people installing bad, non-MS software -- stuff that probably isn't even available on Mac, thus adding to the "Mac never crashes" fallacy). Yeah, back in the Win95, Win98, WinME, and Win2k days, it did crash quite frequently. Not so with WinXP and Vista (and Win7). Even your Motorola software comment points to bad 3rd party software, and has nothing to do with the OS itself, now does it? (of course you'll also see that I'm not really a Windows or Mac guy, but rather do most of my daily work on UNIX).

Mac actually has a high number of security issues and updates as well, but Mac folks seem to just brush them off. I'll even do your research for you:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

But it's pointless arguing with people who aren't willing to actually open up their eyes. Like I said - it's a tool; use what you like, but must people always bash other options? Each platform has its pluses and minuses.

i've extensively used both for work and for play since the mid-1980s, and i prefer the easy, relatively care-free use of the Apple product. it is, to a degree, indestructible. the only thing that i've used that ever came close in reliability and indestructibiliy were those Trash 80s, which held like 20K of memory.

my wife was completely the opposite, wary of using a Mac, which is why our first computer purchase proved to be some HP product working on some windows version put out in early 2000.

well, the money we "saved" on buying the HP, was spent on buying security updates and other programs and essentially led to the thing working slower than a sloth. that doesn't include many of the unresolvable glitches that took place that caused crashes because one program or patch seemed to conflict with another.

there was also a limit on how much additional memory you could load up on that thing, which made it even a bigger boat anchor once the Internet really took hold.

as a result, we had it 4 years, and got, at best 2 years use out of it.

we then went the Mac way in 2005, and still have the same machine now. it's cost us nothing more than what we paid for it. it still works fast, has no history of crashes, is adaptable to keep up with technology, and has no conflicts that i've discovered between any programs.

my point to my original post was what i find curious about all the new microsoft ads, is that none of the actors ever talk about how they wanted microsoft to make a more reliable program that didn't freeze up its machines, which is one of the big knocks against their systems. since that was not contained in the ads, i'm then assuming that 7 is much like the rest, a common-denominator system for the masses, that will have the masses buying more patches and programs to keep the never-ending cycle of commerce going. it's not a bad business model, but might actually represent some kind of ponzi scheme when you take a closer look at it.

as for my phone, the fact that the freeze-ups happen mostly involving my e-mail program, which is directly connected to Outlook on my machine, i'm guessing there is a technical glitch between the microsoft-developed programs on my phone and Outlook. and that is all too common, one program having issues with something microsoft has produced, and an issue that requires dozens of patches to address.

j (guess i'm a moron) w.

ADD: by comparison, my work laptop, which has what's now the previously most recent microsoft operating system loaded in it, crashes or freezes at least twice a month. again, it's a natural glitch between the programs i have loaded on it. it ain't bad, but it's not always reliable.

Indestructible...

When a Macbook owned by a mutual friend (think you know who I'm referring to, JW) bounced off his dashboard during an auto accident, I believe the LCD screen was the only part that suffered any damage. He ended up with a new 'puter, but only because it made more sense to go that route than to fix the nine-year-old one.

Still and all, I can't complain about my PC-based products, either. Got four years out of the first one (which still runs) before upgrading, six out of the second (which still runs, albeit after an HD replacement). My only issue? Wearing the letters off the keyboards. Neither of my brothers can use the one I'm typing on right now without referring to the keyboard hooked up to the ancient, dust-gathering desktop at my right elbow...

Enjoy the MAC O/S and save yourself a bundle on H/W at the same time - for around 400 bucks you can build yourself a...

Hackintosh

Our tech writer swears by her home-built Hack (instead of swearing AT it, which would be a different thing entirely, of course).

Same thing with new model year cars... Why are some people so eager to get the new model? Why not wait a bunch of years till they work the bugs out for the new design/model.

This is an American thing. I remember reading how people in other countries try not to fall for the hype. I think it said how Germans notoriously DO NOT tend to jump and buy new model year cars as much as their crazy American counterparts.

Just look at the dolts when the I-Phone came out.

:worthy:

Indestructible...

When a Macbook owned by a mutual friend (think you know who I'm referring to, JW) bounced off his dashboard during an auto accident, I believe the LCD screen was the only part that suffered any damage. He ended up with a new 'puter, but only because it made more sense to go that route than to fix the nine-year-old one.

When I was working at the County, there were two Dells that the Sheriffs dept had mounted in cars that were involved in accidents, and the airbags went off, smacking them. Hook up a keyboard and monitor, they were fine. Just needed replacement keyboard, lcd, and plastic case pieces.

Indestructible...

When I was working at the County, there were two Dells that the Sheriffs dept had mounted in cars that were involved in accidents, and the airbags went off, smacking them. Hook up a keyboard and monitor, they were fine. Just needed replacement keyboard, lcd, and plastic case pieces.

Macs, Dells, HPs, Toshiba's, doesn't matter. I've seen some laptops go thru some crazy schitt and still come out with only cracked LCDs, missing keyboards, or superficial plastic damage