Microsoft Screws Up Again.

Steely Dan

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...t-upgrade-hell/

The $29 electronic version of Windows 7 Home Edition sold for Microsoft (MSFT) through Digital River (DRIV) doesn't seem to install properly on some 32-bit Vista machines.

Apparently the download files weren't properly packaged and when some users tried to "unload the box" they got an error that read:

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded"

Here's a question. Why don't they test these things before they put them out? I'm running XP and I didn't buy that until the vast majority of the bugs had been worked out.

Here's another question. Why are so many people hot to get the new operating system as soon as it comes out? With all of the problems each new operating system goes through why get it right away? Is there somebody who has that compulsion who can explain to me the reason for wanting it right away?

I'm guessing that most people who bought Vista would have preferred to stay with XP in hindsight. Nobody knows right now if seven is better or worse than Vista, why not wait til the jury comes in?

Unless seven gets rave reviews I'm gonna stick with XP for awhile.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless seven gets rave reviews I'm gonna stick with XP for awhile.

I don't mess with new Microsoft OS's for at least 6 months after their grand release. Give Microsoft time to work out the bugs

And Vista? :w00t: I'm still running XP

In fact I just got my first Vista machine about 2 weeks ago. My dad didn't want his laptop anymore so he dumped it off on me. I think I've turned it on twice so far

Here's a question. Why don't they test these things before they put them out? I'm running XP and I didn't buy that until the vast majority of the bugs had been worked out.

Typical answer, no matter what company....

"It worked fine in the lab"

I can understand the need to get it to market quickly but releasing these things so early just makes more fodder for the Mac commercials. At least have it 90% ready. JMO

Look they screwed up on the electronic download for one item. That's hardly 90% considering the other distribution setups are working.

As far as Windows 7 being ready, it is ready and was not rushed to market. As for the mac's, don't believe all the hype. I support both at work. They both have their pluses and minuses.

Look they screwed up on the electronic download for one item. That's hardly 90% considering the other distribution setups are working.

As far as Windows 7 being ready, it is ready and was not rushed to market. As for the mac's, don't believe all the hype. I support both at work. They both have their pluses and minuses.

Do you or someone you know work for Microsoft? You seem a bit touchy on that subject.

Seven things to know about 7

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/24/windows7.tips/index.html

Do you or someone you know work for Microsoft? You seem a bit touchy on that subject.

I agree with EC on this one. Win7 has been in beta for a long time -- lots of people have been using it for many many months. I even know a lot of UNIX guys who say it looks like MS got it right this time and actually LIKE Win7....

This might not even be a Windows mistake as much as a Digital River mistake.

I just bought a new laptop last month, so will probably upgrade it to Win7 since it's free, to see what I think about it first hand. It can't be worse than Vista, right? :censored:

I agree with EC on this one. Win7 has been in beta for a long time -- lots of people have been using it for many many months. I even know a lot of UNIX guys who say it looks like MS got it right this time and actually LIKE Win7....

I just bought a new laptop last month, so will probably upgrade it to Win7 since it's free, to see what I think about it first hand. It can't be worse than Vista, right? :censored:

What laptop did you get? Thinkpad?

What laptop did you get? Thinkpad?

The HP HDX16t.

Decent box, and I got a good deal - about $600. 17" monitor (1920x1080), 4G RAM, 320G 7200RPM drive, dual core CPU, etc. I want to use it as a portable Photoshop box -- but since I haven't started using it yet, I'll upgrade to Win7 before installing PS CS4 and see what happens. :censored:

I've been using the beta for about four months. It still doesn't perform on par with a good Linux installation, but it's probably the best job Microsoft has done with an OS.

The caveat being: I'm running it on a monster of a machine. I don't know how it'll run on a normal desktop. Can't be much worse than Vista, resource hog that THAT is.

The caveat being: I'm running it on a monster of a machine. I don't know how it'll run on a normal desktop. Can't be much worse than Vista, resource hog that THAT is.

It's supposedly much more streamlined and efficient than Vista, and therefore runs on lesser hardware. One of my Solaris instructors said he was using it for 4-5 months on a small netbook and it worked great - he was quite shocked. I'm still skeptical, but early reports are positive, even from traditionally anti-Windows folks I know.

Anyone else think that "snap" feature they talk about on the commercial is really lame though? "Look, if you drag this window all the way over here, then drag this window all the way over here, you can then see them both!" Ummm, yeah, and if you just sized your windows the way you wanted instead of dragging them off the screen, you'd see them too. :censored:

Anyone else think that "snap" feature they talk about on the commercial is really lame though? "Look, if you drag this window all the way over here, then drag this window all the way over here, you can then see them both!" Ummm, yeah, and if you just sized your windows the way you wanted instead of dragging them off the screen, you'd see them too. :censored:

I think it's lame marketing; but given how frequently I tile windows vertically on my display, I could actually get a lot of use out of that feature.

One thing MS is pretty good at is developing little features like that (another example is Intellisense in their development products). When they !@#$ up, it tends to be the big architectural things. And really...they don't !@#$ up as often as people think. Windows is just such an ubiquitous platform that it's far more frequently targeted with malware than anything else.

It's supposedly much more streamlined and efficient than Vista, and therefore runs on lesser hardware. One of my Solaris instructors said he was using it for 4-5 months on a small netbook and it worked great - he was quite shocked. I'm still skeptical, but early reports are positive, even from traditionally anti-Windows folks I know.

Commercial could definitely be better, My guess is that they are trying to show off some of the little things that would be immediately applicable to users. I am waiting to see if they show off the aero shake option.

Commercial could definitely be better, My guess is that they are trying to show off some of the little things that would be immediately applicable to users. I am waiting to see if they show off the aero shake option.

Never heard of that one. Interesting... Although I can't see myself ever needing it - I'd prefer the "desktop" button in the launch bar.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081103/...ith-aero-shake/

Typical answer, no matter what company....

"It worked fine in the lab"

"It's frustrating. We had a great week of practice with it right before the launch."