Pondering the game and future of the team.

Steely Dan

Some thoughts, in no particular order; (JMO)

* This win was deserved and not just lucky. The offense actually capitalized on interceptions this week.

* Jarius Byrd looks like a tremendous pick

* Fitzpatrick got the job done but I believe that (A healthy) Edwards would have done just as well if not better. I did like Fitzy's ability to see the receivers open on the long ball. It seems that backup QB's who start do pretty well the first week they start, in most situations. I think it's because teams don't have a lot of film on that player. Is that what happened to Fitzy today?

* The Jests game was a horrendous outcome. They made a ton of mistakes and yet still took the Bills into OT. I'm hoping this game is the way they play the rest of the year. They didn't dominate but they didn't have any offensive turnovers and the defensive turnovers were more valuable to the team this week it seems. The defense gave up 425 yards but made the plays when they needed to.

* Chris Ellis hasn't played in one game this year. God I hate that pick. (I'm betting he doesn't make the team next year) Since being drafted in the third round 2008 he's only played in seven regular season games and gotten 3 tackles.

* What is Roscoe's future on this team? The trade deadline has passed He's a great PR but they aren't even activating him to do that. I thought last week's inactive status was to give him a week to think about his fumbles. This weeks inactivity makes me wonder what's going on and what's going to happen.

* When will Hardy be reactivated? Who will be cut to make room for him? I'm guessing Todd Johnson.

* I'll tell you what I think about this teams ability to improve enough for the rest of the season after the Houston game.

* It looks like the bye week, coming after next week, is a good place to have it.

* I really want to know who the next HC will be. Will Ralph realize that if he wants to hoist a SB trophy he'll need to get a coach with a great track record?

* There is something I don't understand about the draft. (All of these are JMO)

1 11 (11) Maybin, Aaron (DE) - I believe that he will eventually catch on and be a stud. (In my best Yoda) Patience you must have, patience.

1 28 (28) Wood, Eric C

(From Panthers through Eagles) - I think this was a super solid pick. (Thanks JP)

2 10 (42) Byrd, Jairus (CB) - I love this kid. It's barely the beginning of his career but I see a better future rather than a worse one.

2 19 (51) Levitre, Andy OL

(From Cowboys) - He's no Eric Wood and he definitely needs to improve. I'm not saying he's a bust, I'm saying I believe he can and will get better, but he's under starting caliber at his position right now.

4 21 (121) Nelson, Shawn TE

(From Eagles) - I like this pick too. This entire season he's had six catches for sixty yards and a TD. However, I think some of his contribution doesn't show up on the stat sheet. His presence won't allow full attention on any one guy. The Bills are bringing him along slowly and that's probably good for him. Given his draft position he seems like he will end up being a semi-steal. (Thanks JP)

5 11 (147) Harris, Nic S - He's a big time project and I don't know if he's a bust or a boom yet. I guess we'll have to wait til next year to make a better judgment.

6 10 (183) Harris, Cary CB - Practice Squad

7 11 (220) Lankster, Ellis DB - Looks like a great pick, especially when his draft position is considered.

So out of eight picks it seems that two (Wood and Byrd) are immediate impact players. It also seems that three players (Lankster, Levitre and Nelson) are going to be solid contributors next year and for a few years after that. Two picks (Maybin and Nic Harris) are on hold right now. Too early to tell about either of them. Maybin having only four tackles to show for his play so far this year is a little bothersome but I'll wait until the end of next year to reserve full judgment on him and NH. Cary Harris made the PS and so every draft pick has made the team. Some are immediate upgrades and others will be.

So after taking all of that into account why is there such a large fire Brandon contingent? It looks like they finally have a good GM in place and I'm willing to give him another year before they go out and hire someone else for that job.

great assessment top to bottom.

I'm somewhat in agreement on Brandon. I think, sadly, Ralph/Marv are responsible for DJ still being here.

I'm also not totally against Modrak staying on. he has done a decent job drafting talent. across theNFL, we have a decent number of starters off draft picks - not necessarily at the top of "homegrown" talent, but pretty good. I think more has to do with coaching/schemes then talent. He's a decent college evaluator that is our only real knowledgable football guy.

Who I have a major problem with is John Guy. His pro scouting is atrocious. Mitchell has been well below average as a SSLB. I have a feeling the Stroud trade was more Brandon then anyone, and its not rocket science to know he was good. Spencer johnson is adequate. I also put Melvin Fowler, Langston Walker, Derrick Dockery, Will Harris, etc all on him. He clearly has done a poor job in scouting the pro's for "talent at a bargain." his only hit that I can think of recently is maybe Hangartner and Florece, but again, it was known Florence was good and just played poorly in the Jax scheme.

Bottom line.. finish season 7-9, show RW that continuity sucks and fire Jauron and Guy. Allow Brandon to be the "new" donahoe, and let him run the show with Modrak staying on OR bring in a "senior analyst" ala a bruce allen, carl peterson, etc. Someone to help steer this team.

I'd love to see Marty Schott come in or a legit GM liek Holmgren (and keep brandon on as COO) but knowing ralph, he's not going to eat 6mil on Jauron and then shell out $10 -15 more for a HC/GM. Sadly, I think this is a pretty realistic scenario.

But on the bright side the more we suck the more the NFL in toronto experiment fails and the better the odds are we keep the team. I'm willing to suffer 2 more 7-9 season to know that when I ship back from Japan we'll still be playing games in the Ralph...