QB Controversy

FIVE

Um...challenge. Did you watch any of the games this season? Fitz at least throws to his wide receivers. Granted some of those throws early didn't look very good, but at least he doesn't check down...every...single....time. Trent does not throw long passes to his receivers or give them a chance to get open, at the first sign of anything he checks down.

I agree with you 100%

My original post was poorly worded. What I was hoping for today was more of the 10-15 yard intermediate passes to receivers that Trent can't and won't throw--but Fitz at least attempted 2-3 of those.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitzy did little to generate a "controversy". However, he did do one thing that Trent absolutley needs to start doing: It was 3rd and long, first half. He gets rushed out of the pocket; looks and has the RB right in front of him for the checkdown. It's and easy pass to make. Of course, we'd be punting. Instead, Fitz stops, looks downfield and throws to a covered TO (a high throw). TO jumps and the ball goes right through his hands. We punt.

Same result as Trent, but completely different attitude toward the game. Trent should probably be the starter when healthy. But, he has to start throwing downfield more. Fitzy did more of that today than Trent has done all season. Yeah, the stat line wasn't good. But, the offense continued trying and never looked defeated. I think that's largely due to having a QB that doesn't give up on every play the moment the pocket collapses (which happens every play).

So, no, Fitzy doesn't look like the answer to anything. But, he's shown me enough to say Trent is checking down on his own; its not a coaching decision. Trent needs to wake up. Get out of his house. And go watch Fitz play. He could learn something.

LMAO at your claim...

You do realize that two of our measly 8 TD's while Trent was QB were from Moormans fake and Schobels INT return right?

You also realize that under Trent we had one offensive TD since week 2 right and none in our last 12 qtrs of play before Fitz hit Evans in the Jets game...

You also realize we had no offensive TD's in a game where we held the opposing QB to TWO completions right under Trent...and that it was a terrible D to boot...

the saints and dolphins are not the jets and panthers buddy... if you are excited about these wins, you are clearly a huge dick jauron fan. this is all he'll ever get ya...

I hate to say this, but the team just looks better with Edwards out. This doesn't mean Fitzpatrick is any good, it just means Edwards has really sucked this year since game 3. It sort of reminds me of when Edwards replaced Losman. You knew he was better than JP, but in reality it was just because JP was so bad.

Fitzy did little to generate a "controversy". However, he did do one thing that Trent absolutley needs to start doing: It was 3rd and long, first half. He gets rushed out of the pocket; looks and has the RB right in front of him for the checkdown. It's and easy pass to make. Of course, we'd be punting. Instead, Fitz stops, looks downfield and throws to a covered TO (a high throw). TO jumps and the ball goes right through his hands. We punt.

Same result as Trent, but completely different attitude toward the game. Trent should probably be the starter when healthy. But, he has to start throwing downfield more. Fitzy did more of that today than Trent has done all season. Yeah, the stat line wasn't good. But, the offense continued trying and never looked defeated. I think that's largely due to having a QB that doesn't give up on every play the moment the pocket collapses (which happens every play).

So, no, Fitzy doesn't look like the answer to anything. But, he's shown me enough to say Trent is checking down on his own; its not a coaching decision. Trent needs to wake up. Get out of his house. And go watch Fitz play. He could learn something.

Agreed.

I'd also add that I was really impressed with Fitz's pocket presence--moved around to buy time to try to throw downfield, got rid of the ball at the last split second, etc. His arm isn't great--but he's got about 100 times more moxy than Edwards. Now, if only he had a little chroise...

Guest dog14787

I've seen enough of Fitz to say I like him as our backup, but between Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick, Edwards has a bigger upside and a better chance of developing into a quality starter in the NFL.

No way we can face a high powered offense like the Pats or Saints and have any chance without Trent Edwards at the QB position in my opinion and I hope he's back next week because the Texans have an explosive Offense.

I've seen enough of Fitz to say I like him as our backup, but between Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick, Edwards has a bigger upside and a better chance of developing into a quality starter in the NFL.

No way we can face a high powered offense like the Pats or Saints and have any chance without Trent Edwards at the QB position in my opinion and I hope he's back next week because the Texans have an explosive Offense.

You mean the same Saints game we lost because Trent couldnt do squat? LMAO

Dude, two weeks ago you said bench Trent, he is done, bring on Fitz. Since then, all Trent has doen is play one half of football and get hurt. So what are you basing your flip flop on now considering Trent has shown nothing to indicate he would be better than he was when you said bench him he sux?

Trent has no upside, you are in a sorry place if you think he does. The Bills without a doubt better draft a QB with their 1st pick next year.

I am pretty sure we play two halves...

Fun note for you too...Trent is the lowest rated QB during the first halves of games in the NFL...so whats your point?

I am not defending Trent at all, so what's your point. My point is you sound like the people you bashed for defending Trent. He was 11 for 22 for 123 yards, that's my point.

I don't get how anybody can watch these 2 players play and not think Fitz is better. He actually reads defenses, makes decisions and tries to win. Trent finds the guy closest to himself and throws it to him. Trent is pathetic. Fitz did not put up great stats, but he ha 2 consecutive road wins. He also was not helped today by pretty terrible O-line play and 3 drops by T.O. With Fitz, we have a chance to win some games the rest of the year. With Trent we have a chance to pad Ryan Lindell's stats and get a high draft choice.

I pray I never see Trent play for the Bills again. Ever.

I don't get how anybody can watch these 2 players play and not think Fitz is better. He actually reads defenses, makes decisions and tries to win. Trent finds the guy closest to himself and throws it to him. Trent is pathetic. Fitz did not put up great stats, but he ha 2 consecutive road wins. He also was not helped today by pretty terrible O-line play and 3 drops by T.O. With Fitz, we have a chance to win some games the rest of the year. With Trent we have a chance to pad Ryan Lindell's stats and get a high draft choice.

I pray I never see Trent play for the Bills again. Ever.

Yep....if we get 9 picks every 2 games that will work.

I am not defending Trent at all, so what's your point. My point is you sound like the people you bashed for defending Trent. He was 11 for 22 for 123 yards, that's my point.

Hold on, I have not said Fitz to be good, not once. I said he is better than Trent, thats it. Dont lump me into those apologists who propped Trent up to rediculous levels.

I am simply saying he gives our offense more life than Trent and that our #1 off season priority in terms of players needs to be a QB...

Neither are any good, but Fitz at least gives us a chance because he tries to get the ball to our weapons...

Hold on, I have not said Fitz to be good, not once. I said he is better than Trent, thats it. Dont lump me into those apologists who propped Trent up to rediculous levels.

I am simply saying he gives our offense more life than Trent and that our #1 off season priority in terms of players needs to be a QB...

Neither are any good, but Fitz at least gives us a chance because he tries to get the ball to our weapons...

It's pretty sad when we have gotten to the point when we are happy that a QB tries to get the ball to out weapons. His passes were off the mark all day and try all you want if it is incomplete, it's the same result as not throwing the pass at all. I will be happy when we get a QB who actually GETS the ball to out weapons.

I agree with you. When i see Fitz play as compared to Trent they are very close. However, Fitz makes one or two plays per game MORE that are leading us to wins (i.e both TD passes to Evans). I don't believe we beat the Jets or Panthers with Trent at the helm. I'm not even sure the D gets all those picks with Trent leading the O. It's just a team vibe i get when watching the game. NOt that they are playing harder for Fitz,,,,but maybe the D sees some hope on the other side.

BTW- i knew TO had the dropsies in his career but he is really atrocious. He's a drive killer.