Further Proof that TV and Movie Writers

/dev/null

I saw a preview for a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street the other day too. Writers are definitely out of ideas and the majority of society definitely has accepted repackaged garbage for entertainment.

I am not sure people could handle a truly original idea anymore.

I agree. Remaking remakes is getting very old, IMO. Believe me, there are enough original ideas out there to make but studios want the tried and true, until somebody has the balls to make a fresh idea that does well and then everyone tries to copy it. Remember "Fish Police"? It wasn't the cartooning people like about "The Simpson's" it's the writing. Trying to make a show off the Geico cavemen was a big stretch. If it was written well people would've watched it, not because it was the Geico cavemen.

If a network tried to make a Seinfeld ripoff it would suck. The writing and acting are what made that show. Jason Alexander, Julia Louis Dreyfuss and Michael Richards were born to play those characters, IMO.

Delving back to Dallas is no surprise since "Melrose Place" or one of those effing shows was remade. I don't even know if that's still on.

I'm awaiting the Happy Days, Three's Company, Laverne and Shirley and all of the other 70's show remakes. :rolleyes:

If it was written well people would've watched it, not because it was the Geico cavemen.

Writing an original show does not guarantee people will watch, unfortunately. See Firefly as the perfect example - the show was perfectly written, had great acting, was a lot of fun... And then Fox pulled the plug after a few episodes. :rolleyes:

That said, I am really looking forward to the remake of V that's coming out next month.

Writing an original show does not guarantee people will watch, unfortunately. See Firefly as the perfect example - the show was perfectly written, had great acting, was a lot of fun... And then Fox pulled the plug after a few episodes. :rolleyes:

That said, I am really looking forward to the remake of V that's coming out next month.

Good point, Firefly was a great show that no one watched.

And I am looking forward to the V remake too. That was a favorite as a kid so I hope they don't f' it all up for me.

Good point, Firefly was a great show that no one watched.

And I am looking forward to the V remake too. That was a favorite as a kid so I hope they don't f' it all up for me.

Firefly actually had more people watching than Fox realized. Back then, they didn't use DVR stats at all -- but TiVo announced that Firefly was the 2nd most TiVo'd show -- with roughly 800,000 people recording it. Add that to the 1-1.5 million people who watched it live, and you have a decent amount of people. Unfortunately, networks never looked at DVRs back then.

In addition, Firefly gained a lot of acclaim after it was canceled - meaning Fox did a crappy job advertising it.

Oh well, life goes on. :rolleyes:

And I agree with you on V -- don't screw it up!

How many law enforcement and medical shows are on primetime television now in the Top 20?

NCIS

NCIS: LOS ANGELES

CSI

CRIMINAL MINDS

GREY'S ANATOMY

HOUSE

CSI: NY

CSI: MIAMI

8 out of the top 20, and 5 of them are the same damn show! This above all tells you how bad things have gotten.

I remember watching V as a little kid. The scene where the aliens human skin peels off and shows the lizard skin underneath freaked me out :rolleyes:

Why bother coming up with creative, intelligent ideas when the public is always willing to lap up any recycled crap that is put on the screen?

I don't see a lot of 'new ideas' on this list:

Top grossing movies for 2009 in the USA

Gross..........Movie

399,416,040 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

294,258,075 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

289,639,811 Up (2009)

270,237,753 The Hangover (2009)

256,673,273 Star Trek (2009)

198,255,437 Monsters vs Aliens (2009)

193,250,211 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)

179,863,544 X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

176,461,908 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)

160,154,402 The Proposal (2009)

Why bother coming up with creative, intelligent ideas when the public is always willing to lap up any recycled crap that is put on the screen?

We already pretty much know this... but when a movie or television show comes along that just blows me away, I hold onto it tightly LOL

Directors like Martin Scorcese can only make so many movies! :censored:

Writing an original show does not guarantee people will watch, unfortunately. See Firefly as the perfect example - the show was perfectly written, had great acting, was a lot of fun... And then Fox pulled the plug after a few episodes. :censored:

TV also canned Journeyman, and an old favorite of mine- Space ABove and Beyond. Let's not forget MST3K

Yes, there is an unbelievable wealth of garbage. But there is some good stuff too--you just have to look out for it.

There are a couple things that I'm thinking about going to see this weekend…

A Serious Man - The new Cohn Bros. movie. No stars in this one. I'm hearing good things. If nothing else, you know this movie will be something directly from the artist. No tweaked ending based on douchebag demographics or any of that crap.

Where The Wild Things Are - Yes, it's based on a familiar story, but Spike Jonz always brings a real artistic vision. The previews look very very good to me.

I also want to see Zombieland, but I'm not going to try to defend that one. I just like zombies and this movie looks fun to me.

I remember watching V as a little kid. The scene where the aliens human skin peels off and shows the lizard skin underneath freaked me out :censored:

Never could figure out how the human mask reshaped the lizard skull

I also want to see Zombieland, but I'm not going to try to defend that one. I !ust like zombies and this movie looks fun to me.

I saw Zombieland a few weeks ago - it was extremely funny. Go watch it, you won't be disappointed. :censored:

TV also canned Journeyman, and an old favorite of mine- Space ABove and Beyond. Let's not forget MST3K

MST3K was stopped by the producers IIRC.

Don't forget Family Guy getting canceled and then coming back because Fox didn't realize how great it was. They just gave Seth McFarlane $100 million so I guess he's doing something right.

Yes, there is an unbelievable wealth of garbage. But there is some good stuff too--you just have to look out for it.

There are a couple things that I'm thinking about going to see this weekend…

A Serious Man - The new Cohn Bros. movie. No stars in this one. I'm hearing good things. If nothing else, you know this movie will be something directly from the artist. No tweaked ending based on douchebag demographics or any of that crap.

Where The Wild Things Are - Yes, it's based on a familiar story, but Spike Jonz always brings a real artistic vision. The previews look very very good to me.

I also want to see Zombieland, but I'm not going to try to defend that one. I just like zombies and this movie looks fun to me.

I Saw Zombieland, I enjoy zombie movies and this one was definitely a fun ride and was pretty damn funny, although nothing can beat George Romero's zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead).

Where the Wild Things Are looks visually stunning and interesting. It's already gotten solid reviews on imdb and I'm looking forward to checking it out...more than likely when it hits DVD.

MST3K was stopped by the producers IIRC.

Don't forget Family Guy getting canceled and then coming back because Fox didn't realize how great it was. They just gave Seth McFarlane $100 million so I guess he's doing something right.

Family Guy is awesome. 'Nuff said. :censored: