Draft's Biggest Question Mark: How Will 2010 NFL Rookies Get Paid?

Steely Dan

The 2010 Season  

4 members have voted

1. 1. The NFL Will Enter The 2010 Season....

• Without a new CBA because the union is taking a hard stance.
    • Without a new CBA because the NFL is taking a hard stance.
    • I'm not sure
  2. 2. The rookie salary cap for 2010....

• Will be waived by the NFL
    • Kept by the NFL
    • I'm not sure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ....html?eref=sihp

A league spokesman confirmed to SI.com this week that the rookie salary pool -- which operates as a salary cap for first-year players within the NFL's overall salary cap -- can be dropped at the league's option in an uncapped year. One potential ramification is that NFL rookies in 2010 might not have their potential contract value determined so tightly by their particular draft spot -- the so-called slotting system -- as has been the case with every other draft class under the current CBA.

"If there's no rookie pool ... it'll be more like baseball in that way, where teams may really like a player, but if they can't sign him, what good is he? Signability will be a big buzzword," the veteran agent said.

"Some teams will look at the Crabtree holdout as the example and say, 'Why do we need that [crap]? Let them go play in the UFL.' We're going to see teams say, 'Let's go after the guys we know we can sign.' They'll go after some really solid, signable players in the second and third rounds, and then the smarter teams and smarter front offices will save some money to spend on some proven veterans out there on the market next year.''

IMO, the idea that the NFL might waive the rookie cap is absurd. Trying to sign rookies from the first three rounds would be a nightmare. It would be funny as hell though to see all of Eugene Parkers' players slipping way below their normal rounds.

It is curious to me that the NFL has waited or is still waiting to get the CBA talks started. It seems like they believe that an uncapped year works far more in their favor than the union's. I'm trying to figure out how that could be. IMO, FA's will be expecting more money and most of it up front because teams won't have to amortize bonus'. This plays into the hands of big market teams, unfortunately.

The one positive, for the league, I can think of is that teams will use the uncapped year to make huge contract dumps. Players with huge contracts that aren't living up to them could be cut without any salary cap penalties. Those guys will be hard pressed to get that money back.

Since there would be no consequences as far as the salary cap goes a lot more trades may happen, I'm not sure that counts as a positive for the league though.

I think I'm right about that stuff but I may be missing some minutia.

With no CBA, the league cannot unilaterally impose a rookie pool without collusion / anti-trust problems.

It's an option of the CBA. Read the article. They have to inform the union at least 60 days before they decide to cancel it though. There is still a CBA just not a cap for 2010. IIRC, the cap comes back in 2011.