Fat a$$

Ok, let's look at this objectively. At the end, the article says:

Like many ambulance companies, Keller's unit in Topeka recently spent about $10,000 to retrofit an ambulance with equipment that accommodates patients weighing up to 1,600 pounds.

Earlier in the article, we saw this:

the Shawnee County Commission last summer to raise ambulance fees from $629 to $1,172 for critical-care patients and people who are 500 pounds or heavier.

and

In Colorado Springs, Colo., and the Nebraska cities of Omaha and Lincoln, the fees are $1,421 for an extremely obese patient, compared with $758 for a typical patient.

So in Shawnee County, they are now charging $543 extra, and in Colorado Springs, they charge $863 extra.

That means in Colorado Springs, they paid for the extra equipment with only 12 uses. In Shawnee County, they paid for the extra equipment with only 18 uses.

So if they can pay for the retrofitting with so few uses, why do they need to charge so much extra...? :rolleyes:

Gotta say that I'm on the side of the people saying that it's discriminatory. If it were only slightly higher, say $100-$200, then I might understand it, but this looks like nothing more than a money grab. And based on previous responses I've read on the board about the subject, I'm guessing the officials feel that they can get away with it because many people who aren't obese seem to have no problem hating on people who are.

Ok, let's look at this objectively. At the end, the article says:

Earlier in the article, we saw this:

and

So in Shawnee County, they are now charging $543 extra, and in Colorado Springs, they charge $863 extra.

That means in Colorado Springs, they paid for the extra equipment with only 12 uses. In Shawnee County, they paid for the extra equipment with only 18 uses.

So if they can pay for the retrofitting with so few uses, why do they need to charge so much extra...? :rolleyes:

Gotta say that I'm on the side of the people saying that it's discriminatory. If it were only slightly higher, say $100-$200, then I might understand it, but this looks like nothing more than a money grab. And based on previous responses I've read on the board about the subject, I'm guessing the officials feel that they can get away with it because many people who aren't obese seem to have no problem hating on people who are.

I hear ya Fez but man we have to do something in this country about people that are simply too big for their own good.

No doubt that obesity is one (among many) of the factors that drives up health care costs in the U.S. While people should not be punished through money grabs I have no issue cost shifting an appropriate amount of expense to individuals who are obese.

Operating costs are higher - heavier loads are harder on vehicles. That's probably a very minor difference in cost, though. The most likely reason is because there just aren't that many morbidly obese people. How many 400 lb people do you know? (I'm the heaviest person I know, at 280. The next-heaviest I know is maybe 240). How many do you think get transported to the hospital in an ambulance in Topeka each year?

I think the better question is: why did they retrofit the ambulance to have the capacity to carry a horse? How many 3/4-ton people do they cart around ever year? :wallbash:

You can have all the reasonable arguements you want about the cost of healthy food or how much time people have to work out, but we're not talking over weight people here. This is morbidly obese. When someone hits 500lbs, they are asking for things to be different for them.

"Discrimination" is a gross over exageration here.

You can have all the reasonable arguements you want about the cost of healthy food or how much time people have to work out, but we're not talking over weight people here. This is morbidly obese. When someone hits 500lbs, they are asking for things to be different for them.

"Discrimination" is a gross over exageration here.

Of course, not everyone's obese by choice.

Still...I have absolutely no idea what kind of medical condition drives someone's weight past 400 without that person aiding and abetting their condition through diet of lack of exercise.

Of course, not everyone's obese by choice.

Still...I have absolutely no idea what kind of medical condition drives someone's weight past 400 without that person aiding and abetting their condition through diet of lack of exercise.

I'd bet (no, I'm not a medical professional) the medical condition that would cause such a thing would be considered a marvel. Even conditions like Cushings syndrome or hypothyroidism, where "extreme weight gain" can be expected, would consider an extra 100lbs to be exorbitant and cause for immediate medical treatment.

And if that person happens to have a such a problem, I'm sure it could be worked out that they dont' have to pay extra. My guess is they won't run into that situation often.

When I worked at Strong there was a story in the operating room about a guy who weighed over 500lbs. coming in for a heart operation. This happened, supposedly, several years before I was there.

Anyhoo, if anyone has seen an operating table they are thin. Well this guy was put on the table and during the operation he fell off the table and onto the floor. It took several people to get the fat load back up on the table. He died but they say not from that. I can believe it.

Hospitals are burdened with a lot of extra costs in dealing with these people. A lot of people know my stance on healthcare but this goes beyond the pale, IMO. This is something "caused" by that person and not some sort of bad luck.

Dom Irrera has said his cousin claims that he's not fat he's just big boned. "Yeah, that's a mighty big bone ya got in your ass there."

In our local paper a couple months ago they had an article with the local ambulance squad showing side by side their new equipment they purchased for bigger patients. New ambulance, stretcher, wheelchairs, etc. If I can find it online with the pictures, I post a link.

Why don't we charge more for medical care for smokers? Lung cancer, breathing apparatus, and the use of hospital facilities for smokers is very significant. Why not charge more for diabetics? A lot of diabetics don't follow medical advice regarding diet and exercise? Why not charge pregnant mothers who drink more than mothers who take care of themselves? We could easily charge alchoholics who are duffering dt's much more than we do... Wait a minute..I think we are onto a way of dealing with the health care crisis! :rolleyes: