Steve Phillips former Mets GM, now ESPNer

Beerball

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention spending tens of millions on the likes of Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar and Bobby Bonilla. But hey, at least he traded away Jason Bay.

:w00t:

Was the Kazmir for (not that) Zambrano deal his to or was he already gone at that point?

You'd think a guy who had already been put through the ringer for screwing around at the office while with the Mets would have learned his lesson.

Mike Vaccaro has a GREAT story to tell about that. I'll see if I can find it ... ah yes, here it is (although the coding is messed up. I'll edit.)

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2091#more-2091

The ugliest incident I ever took part in happened in the Mets clubhouse in Miller Park in Milwaukee a few years ago. This was when the Mets had Roberto Alomar and Mo Vaughn, that group. I'd been in Milwaukee covering a Nets-Bucks playoff series and my boss suggested I stay the weekend because the Mets were falling apart already and it was only May. So I did. And in the Saturday paper I wrote a column that basically said the Mets weren't just a lousy team, they were one of the most impossible-to-like teams New York had seen since -- well, since the last time the Mets had gotten a bunch of stooges in the Bobby Bo/Vince Coleman era. In the column I'd been especially critical of the GM, Steve Phillips, whom I never thought very highly of and had occasionally been somewhat vicious in saying so.

Well, Phillips blew his stack, and he had the PR guy, Jay Horwitz, bring me into an office off the clubhouse, made sure he kept the door open and started to curse me at the top of his lungs, a show that was clearly designed to make him look like a tough-guy in front of his players and an act that, to me, is the height of insecure foolishness. I let him rant and rant and rant. Finally he said, "My wife read that piece of junk! You made her cry!" After which I'd had enough and said, "That makes two of us, doesn't it Steve," a not-terribly-subtle reference to his past life as an admitted adulterer. I thought he was going to take a swing at me. He didn't. About two weeks later he was fired.

Its one thing to have an affair with a girl half your age. Its another thing to have this mistress contact your son using Facebook to probe him into divulging intimate details about your marriage.

I know he's suspended for a week, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him let go because of this. Just see the precedents that Harold Reynolds and Sean Salisbury have set with their dismissals from the WWL.

Its one thing to have an affair with a girl half your age. Its another thing to have this mistress contact your son using Facebook to probe him into divulging intimate details about your marriage.

That's the problem with having an affair with a girl half your age. She's immature and might not 'get' that you have no intention of falling in love with her and you're just having fun because you're bored sleeping with your wife. When she figures that out, she just might go a little crazy. See also: McNair, Steve.

good god steve, i understand Clinton being a very busy guy and having to go hoggin'... but youre a baseball analyst. you cant find something a little better than that?!?!

That's what happens when you've been married for a long time. When I go out to bars with my married friends, they are the horniest dudes in the places and have the worst eyes for talent. Don't get me wrong they are always faithful, but they will chat up anything just for some interaction.

I also read that ESPN has some legendary parts but there isn't much else to do in Bristol. She was probably pretty easy and if you're an old guy, you give her bonus points for being young.

Mike Vaccaro has a GREAT story to tell about that. I'll see if I can find it ... ah yes, here it is (although the coding is messed up. I'll edit.)

Thanks for that. I do like Vaccaro's column in the Post.

Stories like that remind me of reading (through tears) Klapisch & Harper's infamous 'Worst Team Money Could Buy'. Always thought that was a facinating account not only of the destruction of the Mets but of the daily routine of the ballclub and local media that followed it in the pre-net age.