Report: Shanahan was offered and turned down the Redskins job

According to one report, it would've happened already if Mike Shanahan was willing to take his job right now. Thomas George at FanHouse quotes "a Redskins management source" who says that the Redskins have already made a play for Shanahan, but that he didn't want the job in mid-season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,196993

Any coach with an ounce of self-worth is a fool to take the Washington job. The Skins are destined for mediocrity until Snyder gets a GM who isn't a yes-man and takes his hands off the football aspects of the team. Sounds a lot like the Bills, actually -- but Snyder is in his early 40s. I feel sorry for Skins fans.

He is most definitely waiting for the San Diego job to open up so he can enjoy a great city an shove it up Denver's pooper twice a year.

Well said. the chargers job will be the one all the coaches want. Shanahan will be the front runner. Gruden a close second, although Jax a possibility for him. Other than Cowher. He will take the Carolina job without question. None of these will come anywhere near TBD. Bet on that.

According to one report, it would've happened already if Mike Shanahan was willing to take his job right now. Thomas George at FanHouse quotes "a Redskins management source" who says that the Redskins have already made a play for Shanahan, but that he didn't want the job in mid-season.

Didn't they offer him the job before the season as well when the Broncos gave him the axe? Could've sworn there was somthing like that reported.

If I were a head coach with a super bowl resume I know I'd never ever want to coach for certain teams, because the owners have their noses embedded into everything that goes on in the organization.

Jerry Jones, Dallas. Daniel Snyder, Washington. Al Davis, Oakland. Ralph Wilson, Buffalo.

Although Wilson is different in regards to every day operations like Davis and Jones are involved in, he will never win a super bowl because he won't allow a GM to bring in the players needed to win. Also, no matter what coach they have in place in Buffalo, as soon as a player makes the pro bowl and ascends to a higher pay scale he will be allowed to leave in free agency.

Other teams used to be nightmares, the Cardinals with Bill Bidwell and the Colts with Robert Irsay. Now that those owners have passed the leadership to real football people those franchises have done very well. So,there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for Buffalo Bills fans, it just might be a while.

Living here in the DC area, this was reaffirmed on Monday as it was stated on the local Redskins sports radio show that Shanahan turned it down for a second time.

Gave me some hope that maybe he would be available for the Bills.

If I were a head coach with a super bowl resume I know I'd never ever want to coach for certain teams, because the owners have their noses embedded into everything that goes on in the organization.

Jerry Jones, Dallas. Daniel Snyder, Washington. Al Davis, Oakland. Ralph Wilson, Buffalo.

Although Wilson is different in regards to every day operations like Davis and Jones are involved in, he will never win a super bowl because he won't allow a GM to bring in the players needed to win. Also, no matter what coach they have in place in Buffalo, as soon as a player makes the pro bowl and ascends to a higher pay scale he will be allowed to leave in free agency.

Other teams used to be nightmares, the Cardinals with Bill Bidwell and the Colts with Robert Irsay. Now that those owners have passed the leadership to real football people those franchises have done very well. So,there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for Buffalo Bills fans, it just might be a while.

Don't forget the Buccaneers with Hugh Culverhouse.

As soon as Culverhouse passed away, and new ownership took over, the Bucs were in the playoffs and Super Bowl champions.

In that case, as in the case with Arizona, it is clear that the owner was/ is the one who short changes the franchise. In Oakland, more and more reports surface on the fading mental functions of Al Davis. Its unfortunate, but the NFL should step in and help someone close to Davis ease him into stepping down and allowing somebody else to run the team business with little interference from Davis.

I don't know what the case is with Ralph. He certainly doesn't skimp on players salaries (Owens, Parrish, Kelsay, Evans), but hires on the cheap with coaches, coordinators, and front office staff and scouts. Having read Brian Billick's book, and now understanding that coaches and management salaries come directly out of Ralph's profits, and compounded with the fact that Buffalo is a small market club, I can understand why those decisions are made.

Does that mean that Ralph is cheap? I don't think so. Nor do I think it fair to claim him to be a meddling owner along with Bidwell, Davis, Snyder, Jones, etc. But for him to fill his front office with "yes men" like Brandon, and to fail to pull the plug on Modrak and Guy and hire a real GM like Bill Polian, AJ Smith, etc (all former Bills guys, ironically), all out of supposed fear of what Tom Donahoe did to his trust during his reign of terror, is what is truly holding this team back.

Buddy Nix is back with the Bills, and this coming draft should see some of his influence now that he will have 1 full year with the club. But he only scouts the SEC. He was with the Bills when they were going to all of the Super Bowls. He left with the late John Butler and AJ Smith in the exodus to San Diego, and helped turn them into a powerhouse. Perhaps Nix could fill Modrak's shoes?

Whatever the solution, I believe that the Bills futility will continue until Ralph fills the front office with a proven GM, and a professional scout who knows what he is doing.

Mariucci said on NFL TA, no coach wants to take over mid season because there's nothing you can do but watch the guys. There's not enough time to make the changes you want. So, it's best to wait until the end of the season.

Plus I would guess that anyone with any sense would want to wait for the season to end so he could have more options/offers available.

Other teams used to be nightmares, the Cardinals with Bill Bidwell and the Colts with Robert Irsay. Now that those owners have passed the leadership to real football people those franchises have done very well. So, there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for Buffalo Bills fans, it just might be a while.

The hammer hit the nail.

But the intimation of that last sentence will get a lot of posters up your snit and snizzle. Suggesting that things will get better after Ralph dies (barring a change from previous statements that he will hold the reigns until the bitter end) is like touching the third rail on TBD. You 'bout get accused of everything from being a 'Death Panel' administrator, that you're cheering for an old man's death with glee, and getting placed on then terrorist watch list.