Some Raw Health Insurance Premium Numbers

I was wrong... I don't know why I said 80%... I was off by about 15-20%! :w00t::w00t: I looked at actual hard numbers on the back of various plan packets (we have in the office so one can make a choice) from this year and last year... And the %'s seem to vary. You would think that would all be the same %.

????

Why would the percentages all be the same?

If that were the case, the employees, such as yourself, who take the "Cadillac" plans would be costing significantly more than employees at the same grade who take a "bare bones" plan.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really complaining... Just wondering if it will go up 60 bucks every month for years to come?

Well, first ask yourself if what you pay is roughly what you consume over the course of the years (in the sense of paying for medical salaries and facilities). I'm guessing yes, so health care reform will not find vast reserves of fat from which to lower your rates.

But what it will do is add some number of uninsured to the rolls, and pay for them collectively. So yes, I would expect your rates to continue to go up, and at a faster rate.

A couple of years ago, I was looking to bring my family on to the health insurance I got through work. I would have had to pay out almost $1,300 per month. It was cheaper, fiscally smarter and risk... but we had to go with a lesser plan until I found a job with better benefits that covered my family as well.

So let's say this health insurance reform bill comes out with a stiupulation that you have insurance or pay a fine. So your fine is let's say $800. You drop your $1300 per month coverage and pay for minor medical expenses out of pocket let's say $2000 per year. So you've saved $15,600 in annual premiums, pay your fine and your medical expenses out of pocket. You come out $12,800 per year ahead. Then you or someone in your family comes up with a major illness. You go to a carrier and demand coverage. They have to give it to you, beacause it's a right even with the pre-existing condition which could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now do you see why the insurance industry is against this?

So let's say this health insurance reform bill comes out with a stiupulation that you have insurance or pay a fine. So your fine is let's say $800. You drop your $1300 per month coverage and pay for minor medical expenses out of pocket let's say $2000 per year. So you've saved $15,600 in annual premiums, pay your fine and your medical expenses out of pocket. You come out $12,800 per year ahead. Then you or someone in your family comes up with a major illness. You go to a carrier and demand coverage. They have to give it to you, beacause it's a right even with the pre-existing condition which could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now do you see why the insurance industry is against this?

english doesnt work with him. You have to type like this:

dfnoeigb,[eirg[ejvmuhbk[ba.uhvvijrjgjghjr!!puhkm bijbmobjl mlml;,.cmbgjdijgoj??ogjryhjojh-io;yyatrviohyg,jufgyioeghihjbo[ihbionjvknnlkjbglkhfjh......

english doesnt work with him. You have to type like this:

dfnoeigb,[eirg[ejvmuhbk[ba.uhvvijrjgjghjr!!puhkm bijbmobjl mlml;,.cmbgjdijgoj??ogjryhjojh-io;yyatrviohyg,jufgyioeghihjbo[ihbionjvknnlkjbglkhfjh......

Wow, still attacking for no reason. You truly are an a-hole. :w00t:

I never said that I did not understand why the insurance companies are against reform. I understand that. I also know that some change has to happen. I will admit I do not know what that change should be, but something has to be done to help people out.

And I am not just talking about people with no insurance. I am talking about people who can't afford to cover their family, their kids. People who lose their life savings or home because the insurance company stopped covering medical expenses.

Again, not to sure how this is done. I just hope something can be done.

I never said that I did not understand why the insurance companies are against reform. I understand that. I also know that some change has to happen. I will admit I do not know what that change should be, but something has to be done to help people out.

And I am not just talking about people with no insurance. I am talking about people who can't afford to cover their family, their kids. People who lose their life savings or home because the insurance company stopped covering medical expenses.

Again, not to sure how this is done. I just hope something can be done.

What I am asking of people PBills is for people to use good common sense. Look through the Bills that are being proposed and see if it makes sense, that's all.

If you see that they are proposing to tax health insurers and medical device makers higher than they already are, then you have to apply logic and ask yourself, "hmmm, will that tax get passed down to me, or will the insurance companies eat the cost?"

Or ask yourself, "If Congress and the W.H are proposing a government run Option to compete with the insurers, woudn't it be smart for them to allow health insurers compete across state lines, and if that doesn't work, then maybe we can try the government option?"

Or "If we force the health insurers to cover people with existing medical preconditions, wouldn't that mean that they will be at a much higher risk of having to pay out a very expensive medical reimbursement?", "wouldn't that logically make the rest of everyone elses premium have to go up, if they are forced to provide coverage?"

Or "If we are going to be covering 30 million more people, wouldn't the added demand for medical services, equipment add to the cost on my premium?"

Or "since it's proven that medical malpractice suits, litigation and defensive medicine is contributing to soaring insurance premiums, shouldn't we try to address this problem?"

These are the questions I believe we should be asking ourselves, instead, we see personal, sympathetic stories from Congress , W.H and ExiledIllinois, and many people automatically think "Ya, we have to do something about it, so let's just go with the idea that is being proposed by the government", without looking into the bill in detail to see if it actually does address the problem.

PBills, I've looked this bill in and out, and I created a thread specifically detailing the effects of the proposals, and I can gaurantee you that the Bills that are being proposed WILL NOT BRING DOWN COSTS!!!

We have to exercise good judgement and simple common sense. That's all I ask for people to do.

What I am asking of people PBills is for people to use good common sense. Look through the Bills that are being proposed and see if it makes sense, that's all.

If you see that they are proposing to tax health insurers and medical device makers higher than they already are, then you have to apply logic and ask yourself, "hmmm, will that tax get passed down to me, or will the insurance companies eat the cost?"

Or ask yourself, "If Congress and the W.H are proposing a government run Option to compete with the insurers, woudn't it be smart for them to allow health insurers compete across state lines, and if that doesn't work, then maybe we can try the government option?"

Or "If we force the health insurers to cover people with existing medical preconditions, wouldn't that mean that they will be at a much higher risk of having to pay out a very expensive medical reimbursement?", "wouldn't that logically make the rest of everyone elses premium have to go up, if they are forced to provide coverage?"

Or "If we are going to be covering 30 million more people, wouldn't the added demand for medical services, equipment add to the cost on my premium?"

Or "since it's proven that medical malpractice suits, litigation and defensive medicine is contributing to soaring insurance premiums, shouldn't we try to address this problem?"

These are the questions I believe we should be asking ourselves, instead, we see personal, sympathetic stories from Congress , W.H and ExiledIllinois, and many people automatically think "Ya, we have to do something about it, so let's just go with the idea that is being proposed by the government", without looking into the bill in detail to see if it actually does address the problem.

PBills, I've looked this bill in and out, and I created a thread specifically detailing the effects of the proposals, and I can gaurantee you that the Bills that are being proposed WILL NOT BRING DOWN COSTS!!!

We have to exercise good judgement and simple common sense. That's all I ask for people to do.

Thanks for a great post. :thumbsup:

I don't believe what magox stated above hasn't been stated many times prior here. Sometimes it's like carpet bombing though, after so much and so long finally the structure breaks and something gets through. :censored:

Wow you're smart. :thumbsup:

Just got my new 2010 health insurance packet from my insurance company. I work and my employer picks 80%... Here are the numbers and how much things are going up for family and self:

2009 I paid about 170 bucks every two weeks.

2010, that will go up to $207 every two weeks.

Now for the amount my employer will pick-up every two weeks in 2010: $367.

What is wrong with this picture considering that costs went up about $30 every two weeks last year. Will the costs ever stop climbing? And I still pay certain amount for co-pays and other deductibles...

That is a lot of money and still my health care provider (doctor) has been claiming I owe 25 bucks on my balance the insurance company will not pay... $25... :lol::lol: It has been so long that nobody knows why they are charging me this, I won't pay out of principle... Probably stupid on my part... I have always met my co-pays and what not, they just don't know why they are charging me this... :ph34r:

Oh well, I guess almost $1200 a month isn't bad for health coverage. :doh::doh:

Somebody is getting rich somewhere and and it isn't me or the US gov't (okay maybe THEY are) that I work for.

Are these numbers really out-of whack? should I still feel blessed and lucky? Or should I feel like I am being bent over? I guess I can get a lesser plan.

All I get from this is that you're simply not willing to pay for a service provided to you.

Wow, still attacking for no reason. You truly are an a-hole. :ph34r:

It (attacking) is SOP with mostly people on the right AND this board.

Notice post #2 of this thread... It is almost like VA whipped out his calculator and had an orgasm when he found out that my numbers were 17% off... Probably explains the spooge on the QWERTY that is post #2. Not even on the important side... It comes off that I have less benefits and pay more of a share... You would think he would be happy! So the new numbers can't even fit into the gov't bad mode that some are preconditoned to regurgitate at the drop of a dime.

It is what it is pBills. They are what they are. Live with it.

It is a great post! I am not sold on any one thing... That is why I am asking and letting some of my personal numbers out. What will bring down costs? There are so many heads and leaches to this industry. I just don't see numbers ever stabilizing until I (my generation) start to retire.

WARNING: A jump to conclussion/genralization rant below:

And I am not gonna start to rail on the decrepit and aging baby-boomer (BB) problem... Okay, maybe I will. :lol::doh: But knowing those vain bastards (BB's), they are gonna wanna do nothing (retire) and live forever making the health issues ever more compounding in our society during the coming years... Especially when the big number of people in that age group hit their ancient stride. You have seen in history how our society has dealt with that very strong force (BB's) to be reckoned with. From the womb, diapers and the infantcy of TV, to the mud filled hills of Bethel, New York, to them pumping out their own Echo Boomers and now lastly this mess we are in... What does the future hold? It surley will be dictacted by their old-age and need to stay healthy and live... Back to diapers I guess... :ph34r::doh:

Wow... I sound like a new-age Cincy!

:lol:

All I get from this is that you're simply not willing to pay for a service provided to you.

True... I am starting to think exactly that Tom. It really isn't a service that I have been using in the past... Since every year the cost goes up and the service down...

I can go through the whole policy and show where I have to pay more out of the pocket and show where I get less service or more grief where the company won't pay for things like they did in the past.

Again, the crux of the matter isn't really the price if you can still get what you have been getting... The problem is that you are getting less.

Health care is like buying the same box of cornflakes every year with the price of that box going up drastically every year. Then every year the amount of cereal in the box you get goes down... And to hide that, the manufacturer throws in all kinds of pretty advertising and graphics on the box. So yes, one is getting a prettier box but less substance (or if you want the substance, you pay out of pocket)! What are you really getting, except a fraud?

You are absolutely right Tom... I am having a hard time paying for a service that is provided that I have enjoyed in the past, cost me less, and I got a lot more.

You have to admit, it is quite a unique situation that the consumer has to deal with. As a consumer we are so conditioned to think the exact opposite way, that is what I am having to critically rethink.

Service is going down, price is going up with all plans. I don't mind paying for something I think is fair... I don't mind even paying more, much more. I am really not at that point now where I do not want to pay the higher costs... I am starting to think wher those prices may go. But, I am concerned because I have a threshold in the coming years where I am going to have to piss or get off the pot. Think of it like cars and soaring gas prices... The industry STILL came up with fuel efficient alternatives that can provide you the same level of enjoyment as the gas-gusslers... They also did their main job, get you from point A to point B. Where is health care going to go? What are we going to do when service is half of what it was five years ago and the price is double? I am concerned about the future and reaching that threshold. No doubt it is a bitter pill to swallow, especially if wages keep going down or stagnate. I agree it may just have to be swallowed, but there can be objection.

Notice post #2 of this thread... It is almost like VA whipped out his calculator and had an orgasm when he found out that my numbers were 17% off... Probably explains the spooge on the QWERTY that is post #2. Not even on the important side... It comes off that I have less benefits and pay more of a share... You would think he would be happy! So the new numbers can't even fit into the gov't bad mode that some are preconditoned to regurgitate at the drop of a dime.

It's a sad existence isn't it?

17%....... You sound like the administration. You know if you are 17% off on a trillion dollar program that is 170 BILLION extra dollars. Not sure what world you live in but 17% is a huge margin of error. if you don't want to be called on the carpet for sob stories and falsities then post accurate deails. Don't get on me for noting some obvious flaws in your weak excuse for sympathy.

17%....... You sound like the administration. You know if you are 17% off on a trillion dollar program that is 170 BILLION extra dollars. Not sure what world you live in but 17% is a huge margin of error. if you don't want to be called on the carpet for sob stories and falsities then post accurate deails. Don't get on me for noting some obvious flaws in your weak excuse for sympathy.

Dude, I swing gates for a living and push buttons... See operating engineer... Not crunch numbers.

I OVERESTIMATED what the AGENCY kicks in... That means the gov't is saving that much more!

Good gov't. You should feel good I made that mistake... It is YOUR money!

Now shouldn't you be on a bridge harassing some billy goats?