Interesting article on bicycles and traffic laws

Beerball

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would throw this in the mix since you guys enjoy discussing these things. A 63 yr. old man was hit and killed on his bicycle yesterday just a couple of blocks from my house. He was hit and killed by a police officer responding to a call. The cyclist suddenly turned in front of the police car and was run over. The officer was deemed not at fault. Not surprizing here since the police are never found at fault. They could walk in your house, empty six rounds into your chest and it would be your fault somehow.

Anyways here's the link.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/no...d-monday-morni/

OK resume arguing.

I wonder if they have a dash cam on this?

If the cop was answering a call, obviously the sirens and lights were on... Why didn't the cyclist pull over and stop? Isn't that state law to do that? That is coutesy for everything on the road, BOTH sides of the street.

And of course if this happened the way they sad, the officer is not at fault. Again, I believe that bikes can get out of the way faster than a car, they are more maneuverable... They need to get out of the way of the bigger, less maneuverable vehicle... ESPECIALLY an emergency vehicle answering a call.

Again... Why did the cycle swerve in front of the cop car ON A CALL? I guess he made a bad choice, a fatal choice.

Ya... I was wondering too... :thumbsup::P

Ok , got a better article with all of the details about what happened.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/no...ills-bicyclist/

I'm not pissed at the police, I was just commenting about the police in San Diego that they are never found to be at fault about anything. San Diego police are the most shoot first ask questions later police force I have ever seen. There have been numerous cases where they park behind someone at night in an apartment parking lot, then when the person pulls out they hit the police car, police then jump out and shoot the person to death. The people shot have no criminal history, no weapons, no arrest warrants, their only mistake is to not have seen the police car and backed into it.

A former SD Charger player, was followed home by an off duty police officer in plain clothes and in his own car. When they stop at his house the guy says lay down on the ground, the player doesn't know who this guy is so he walks towards him. The cops shoots him multiple times, not at fault in any of these cases.

This has nothing to do with the cyclist incident, but I was explaining my 'It's not surprizing the cop was found not at fault'

Ok , got a better article with all of the details about what happened.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/no...ills-bicyclist/

I'm not pissed at the police, I was just commenting about the police in San Diego that they are never found to be at fault about anything. San Diego police are the most shoot first ask questions later police force I have ever seen. There have been numerous cases where they park behind someone at night in an apartment parking lot, then when the person pulls out they hit the police car, police then jump out and shoot the person to death. The people shot have no criminal history, no weapons, no arrest warrants, their only mistake is to not have seen the police car and backed into it.

A former SD Charger player, was followed home by an off duty police officer in plain clothes and in his own car. When they stop at his house the guy says lay down on the ground, the player doesn't know who this guy is so he walks towards him. The cops shoots him multiple times, not at fault in any of these cases.

This has nothing to do with the cyclist incident, but I was explaining my 'It's not surprizing the cop was found not at fault'

Update, well they did it again. One block from my house a police cruiser hits head on with another car it flips over and there are injuries. Not sure how bad. Sheesh a cluster of events. I heard sirens again tonite I wonder if that makes three?

Update, well they did it again. One block from my house a police cruiser hits head on with another car it flips over and there are injuries. Not sure how bad. Sheesh a cluster of events. I heard sirens again tonite I wonder if that makes three?

What did I kill this thread? I showered this morning!

• 4 weeks later...

im bringing this thread back!!

big news today as Jews have taken a shocking stance against bicycles....

actually, against people riding bikes.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brookly...EZktV3IlNUJosQM

Groups of bicycle-riding vigilantes have been repainting 14 blocks of Williamsburg roadways ever since the city sandblasted their bike lanes away last week at the request of the Hasidic community.

The Hasids, who have long had a huge enclave in the now-artist-haven neighborhood, had complained that the Bedford Avenue bike paths posed both a safety and religious hazard.

The Jews didn't commit a crime in the middle of the night. Sounds pretty !@#$ing smug to me.

You think a cyclist coming to a traffic light, looking both ways, then rolling through it at five in the morning with no vehicular traffic within a fifteen mile radius is an example of "smugness," so who are YOU to comment?

You think a cyclist coming to a traffic light, looking both ways, then rolling through it at five in the morning with no vehicular traffic within a fifteen mile radius is an example of "smugness," so who are YOU to comment?

No you schmuck I think a cyclist coming to a traffic light and blowing through it (you know that's what you do...so did I when I rode a bike) but saying they don't break the rules is smugness. I think cyclist riding on the sidewalk and ringing their little bells so WE can get out of THEIR way is smugness. I think that cyclists running a red light and almost getting hit by a car and then flipping off that car is smugness. I think that a shitload of bikers taking over city streets once a month and not obeying any traffic laws while they do so is smugness. I think that cyclist demanding that cars share the road but don't share the road with pedestrians is smugness. And lastly I thing that repainting bike lanes in the middle of the night after the city government decided that the area was not safe for bike lanes it the epitome of smugness. :thumbsup:

No you schmuck I think a cyclist coming to a traffic light and blowing through it (you know that's what you do...so did I when I rode a bike) but saying they don't break the rules is smugness. I think cyclist riding on the sidewalk and ringing their little bells so WE can get out of THEIR way is smugness. I think that cyclists running a red light and almost getting hit by a car and then flipping off that car is smugness. I think that a shitload of bikers taking over city streets once a month and not obeying any traffic laws while they do so is smugness. I think that cyclist demanding that cars share the road but don't share the road with pedestrians is smugness. And lastly I thing that repainting bike lanes in the middle of the night after the city government decided that the area was not safe for bike lanes it the epitome of smugness. :thumbsup:

i was with you up until that last line. the city didnt decide it wasnt safe. the locals complained about it (for various reasons) until the city removed it.

...when cops arrived, no one was arrested and no summonses were issued, police said.

A source close to Mayor Bloomberg said removing the lanes was an effort to appease the Hasidic community just before last month's election.

i was with you up until that last line. the city didnt decide it wasnt safe. the locals complained about it (for various reasons) until the city removed it.

The reason it was removed is not the point. The point is the smug bicyclists took it upon themselves to put it back. Now I don't agree with the governement removing it in the first place but there are systems in place to reverse rulings. And BTW there are only two groups of people I hate more than smug bicyclists, politicians and Hollywood actors.

And lastly I thing that repainting bike lanes in the middle of the night after the city government decided that the area was not safe for bike lanes it the epitome of smugness. :censored:

In fairness to the smug, hippie, bike-riding douchebags, the only reason the bike lanes were removed was because the neighborhood fathers called Bloomberg just before the election and told him they didn't want smug, hippie, bike-riding douchebags riding through their neighborhood. I can appreciate the rationale for the request, but I can also appreciate the civil disobedience here.

The bolded part may be part smugness but it is primarily bad aim.