Interesting article on bicycles and traffic laws

Beerball

Why can't the road be the same? My guess is that you would see mass carnage all over the place... Well until all the douchebag cyclists got run over leaving only the cyclists that can handle the responsibility of being burdened. If a bike is acting like a douchebag and breaking all kinds of rules, and I am obeying everything in a car... They get hit, why should it be my problem?

The rules on the road can't be the same because bicyclists are spandex wearing Marys incapable of shouldering any responsibility.

Bicyclists are special because they have to worry about so many things. A sailboat does not have to worry about falling off the lake into a ditch.

Bicyclists have to worry about the color schemes of their spandex, if their helmet is aerodynamic enough to cut a second off their 12 minute mile, if they have enough water in their special little bottles and if they will ever pedal enough to churn away the angst of never making a sports team since they were eight years old. You really can't expect them to worry about rules of the road when they have much bigger fish to fry.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules on the road can't be the same because bicyclists are spandex wearing Marys incapable of shouldering any responsibility.

Bicyclists are special because they have to worry about so many things. A sailboat does not have to worry about falling off the lake into a ditch.

Bicyclists have to worry about the color schemes of their spandex, if their helmet is aerodynamic enough to cut a second off their 12 minute mile, if they have enough water in their special little bottles and if they will ever pedal enough to churn away the angst of never making a sports team since they were eight years old. You really can't expect them to worry about rules of the road when they have much bigger fish to fry.

:unsure:

They (bikes) are special and can act anyway they want to... Just don't get in my way when you and your bike are not adhering to the rules of the road... If I am adhering to the rules... Then I can run your ass over.

:lol:

Yet, youre the dude behind me pulling your hair out because an itty bitty bicycle ridden by a "spandex clad mary" is getting between you and your NAMBLA meeting.

Oh.....I forgot...youre gonna "run me over."

Again....no, youre not.

Too many jokes. I think I'm going to go with "Only when you're wearing mittens."

I am not Helen Keller and didn't answer the phone... The joke is: What did Helen Keller say when she answered the phone? Nothing, her mittens were on?

Anyway... I did give everybody carte blanche to run with that statement I made.

Yet, youre the dude behind me pulling your hair out because an itty bitty bicycle ridden by a "spandex clad mary" is getting between you and your NAMBLA meeting.

Again....no, youre not.

See Rk... You get it. You won't die, you will survive! I say go to my system I proposed above. That is exactly the way a cyclist should be thinking!

Again....no, youre not.

Ever see anyone run over? It's not pretty when your head get lodged in the wheel well. Makes a real mess.

Again....no, youre not.

So there's no room to go around you? Hmmm, I thought you didn't ride in the sidewalk.

Oh ya... When it comes to train crossings at road grade... Those should be abolished and they should make them all viaducts. Somebody I work with and has lived in England said that is how they do it there... Well I at least more than we do (viaducts)... I am not sure if this is really true.

Where I grew up there was a track that they built a hill on either side and had a bridge going over the tracks. Well, when it came time to replace the bridge, to save money, they decided to not replace it, take out the hills, and make a crossing instead.

Again....no, youre not.

Bicylists are the ones constantly defending their indefensible behavior so it is far more likely the bicyclist, not the driver will be headed to a NAMBLA meeting.

Where I grew up there was a track that they built a hill on either side and had a bridge going over the tracks. Well, when it came time to replace the bridge, to save money, they decided to not replace it, take out the hills, and make a crossing instead.

Ya... I hear you. That is the whole problem with facilitating this problem. If we go down that route like the article says, it is very costly. Who is going to pick up the tab? At least with roads, gas taxes can go into maintaining the road infrastructure. How are they gonna do that with bikes? Is it like the Amish riding their buggies on the roads? It is the fuel vehicles that are picking up more of the tab. So one should abide by their rules. What is going to happen when there are more and more alternate energy vehicles? How will the roads be maintained? Will they just get worse and worse? Some how they have to co-exist, that is why I proposed the survival of the fittest approach. Like on the water, if you are small and being a dumbass, you die and nobody is to blame except your own dumbass and the lack of any comprehension of physics.

Facilities are expensive and usually the best apporach to providing facilities is to tag them on to the back of commercial sources. Like here on the inland waterways... You can basically travel everywhere around the east, actually take a boat from BFLO to PITT... Yes, PITT! Figure that one out. Yet, those waterways are available because commercial shipping pays about a $.20 surcharge on every gallon of fuel the company uses. If you have a pleasure boat (could be the same as a bike)... You get to enjoy all the infrastructure (say locks and dams that provide proper water/pool levels) basically for free (except the taxes one may pay into the general fund). That is a pretty nice deal... But the recreational operators (like bikes... Even if they do use it for business, they may have to kick into the fund) have to follow the rules of the road on the water knowing that they are not the big dog and have to stay out of the way or get hurt. Land Roads should be the same way... Off the backs of commerce.

:lol:B-)

From the little bit of info I could gather from the articles, it sounds like the cyclists were following at an unsafe distance if they were unable to stop in time to avoid the vehicle in front of them. I always thought that the vehicle that rear ended (giggity) another was always at fault?