Tonight on ESPN (8pm) : Who Killed the USFL?

Just Jack

Why would you think that the NFL would merge with the USFL? Many of the cities already had NFL teams. A handful would merge if any.

The USFL was before my time. I actually thought the XFL was better than people thought. If they had gotten rid of the WWF bs but kept the innovative rules, I thought they might be on to something.

before your time? Moses wasn't before your time...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched it, didn't realize how weak Trump is as a business man. You never ever ever acknowledge true competition, which is what Trump did with pursuing a fall season. Set yourself apart.

I just watched it also. And I still think Trump was right, but so were the others who thought the USFL could make it if they would have stayed the course.

Bottom line: Everyone on the show blames Donald Trump for pushing the issue way, way too fast. If they would have taken their time the USFL probably could have switched to the fall in 10 years. Sports is basically name recognition and I think the teams did develop followings and the fans knew the players.

But the USFL failed in the big markets. Tampa didn't have a baseball team back then, so I wonder how the Bandits would do if they had a baseball team to compete against. Plus, NASCAR is alot stronger now than in the past.

The reason the UFL can't draw fans is they have no clue what they're doing. Outside of Las Vegas, the other franchises are too close to NFL teams for people to spend close to major league prices for minor league football. Why would anyone in NY pay $50 to sit on the sidelines of a minor league football game? Ditto for San Francisco-both cities have two teams, why did the UFL put teams in those 2 places? Even the Orlando team is too close to the Tampa Bay Bucs & even is playing one game in far too close St Petersburg at Tropicana Field. Making things worse, the NY team plays each of its home games in a different stadium. One is at Giants Stadium, one at Citifield, which is designed for baseball, not football & one is at Rentschler Field in East Hartford Ct.

Marketing has been horrible. Until a few weeks ago, individual game tickets weren't yet available. You can't get much, if any coverage in the newspapers, the NYC papers have basically ignored the UFL. The only thing I saw was a point spread listing for their games in the NY Post. Do any of these teams have any local radio coverage? I haven't seen anything in the NY papers about the Sentinals games on the radio, I doubt they have a broadcast.

The league is a joke. Sure some guys like K Graham Gano will find a job in the NFL next season, if not sooner, but the talent level is has beens and never beens. The best QB in the league is Brooks Bollinger, who has washed out with 3 NFL teams. 2nd best QB of 4 is JP.

I think you summed this up pretty well. I watch the UFL, but I'm wondering if anyone else does. They need more teams. Four teams is a joke regardless of it being a premier season or not. I can't find stats on the UFL website. The tickets should not be more than 20 dollars each. They also need to find better QBs and Dennis Green did just that, benching his starting QB (Boyd) after one game and going with McMahon.

Hang on to your hat, the new USFL is coming.

Valid points in the documentary and EVERYONE (except Trump) said going head-to-head with the NFL in the Fall was a mistake.

Very good documentary. The highlight was the interviewer handing Trump the $3 settlement check from the NFL and Trump getting pissed and walking out of the room! :doh:

You know he waited until everything else had been taped to pull that one!

37. Meat Loaf (Buffalo Bills) – His album Bat Out of Hell has sold over 37 million copies. He’s also appeared in films ranging from Fight Club to Spice World. But despite being born and raised in Dallas, Texas, the artist known as Meat Loaf is actually a die-hard Buffalo Bills fan.

ROCK ON :doh:

The highlight was the interviewer handing Trump the $3 settlement check from the NFL and Trump getting pissed and walking out of the room! :doh:

You know he waited until everything else had been taped to pull that one!

Trump obviously is still insecure about his position on the fall season. He even asked the guy as he stormed out if he was "on his side".

I would tend to agree with you except for starting with 8 teams. No one will watch an 8 team league. Not going to happen.

You start with 8 teams and a 10 game schedule (you play the 3 teams in your division twice and the other 4 teams in the other division once). You only do 8 teams so that you have a high talent level and don't oversaturate the league. You gradually expand to 10 than to 12 and so on and so on. You can't build a league with too many teams (Its just too hard to get the right markets and owners) you have to be willing to be patient when building a league.