Health Care Costs and US Manufacturing

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be !@#$ing kidding me right? <_<

No. Right now, the system is much worse than it can ever be. It can't be worse. I am not a conspiracy nut like you and Darin. I don't believe that the politicians are just out to screw people. The people want change. People either don't have insurance or are like me... Paying way too much for service that is going down the tube.

Folks, it won't be any worse. Both my employer an me are paying well over 12,000 bucks into the system for ONE family policy and we are getting crappy service and that is one of the best plans in all the unGodly choices I have.

How much worse can it be? It can only get better. The only people that it can get worse for are the ones that are leaching off the system.

Hey... The industry made their own bed... Now unfortunately mommy and daddy has to clean it up.

I have Humana and I work for the federal gov't. They have been raising their prices 60 bucks a month every year for the last couple of years. My share next year is gonna be 207 every two weeks... My employer, the US gov't will be picking up around 370 every two weeks... That is a whole ton of cash for one family, 400 bucks a month.

My son broke his arm in 2005 and it cost about 11,000 dollars... I guess I am still getting my money's worth... Ya right... That isn't even one year of premiums... And my healthcare provider is still squabbling about 15 bucks I owe them and how it turned into 25 bucks this year... I won't pay them one cent more, no matter how little or trivial it is... <_<:wallbash:

I know a guy with an artifical and that has a 60,000 dollar chip in in... Oh, and a guy with two 40,000 dollar heart valves.

:blink::blink:

Boy... If if this was good ole Chevy we would be crucifyiing them for Dev's leaky oil pan on his Cavalier.

So yes... I think they are making ridiculous profits... They just aren't disclosing it.

Oh, and service keeps on getting worse... More out of pocket money, co-pays, what not.

I have had Humana for a bunch of years now and they are going right down the sewer with over pricing. Evey year it is the same old slick marketing campaign and you get nothing except declining service.

Something doesn't add up here. Based on your numbers your policy costs $15K per year and you're telling us that a broken arm (even a bad break that required surgery) under that plan costs the policy holder $15K? Doesn't sound right. Sounds like an error was made somewhere. The coverage we buy for my family of 5 has a $2K annual deductible and the premium is under $7K per year. I'm also in Illinois. My son broke his upper arm 2 years ago playing football and had surgery to have it pinned. A very bad break. We paid about $2k. No big deal. Something is wrong with your picture there.

The insurance carriers are public companies for the most part and you can easily look up their profitability. The industry overall is not a high profit industry.

No. Right now, the system is much worse than it can ever be. It can't be worse. I am not a conspiracy nut like you and Darin. I don't believe that the politicians are just out to screw people. The people want change. People either don't have insurance or are like me... Paying way too much for service that is going down the tube.

<_<

Something doesn't add up here. Based on your numbers your policy costs $15K per year and you're telling us that a broken arm (even a bad break that required surgery) under that plan costs the policy holder $15K? Doesn't sound right. Sounds like an error was made somewhere. The coverage we buy for my family of 5 has a $2K annual deductible and the premium is under $7K per year. I'm also in Illinois. My son broke his upper arm 2 years ago playing football and had surgery to have it pinned. A very bad break. We paid about $2k. No big deal. Something is wrong with your picture there.

The insurance carriers are public companies for the most part and you can easily look up their profitability. The industry overall is not a high profit industry.

No... I am sorry. My son also had a bad break... Surgery and pins... The TOTAL bille was around 11 grand... I didn't pay nearly that much... I think the deductible was 150 at the time... YES 150... Ya, the insurance picked it up, that was 4 years ago... They have been raking in the dough ever since without a lick of trouble.

Ya, thank God I had insurance... I would still be paying today... Or maybe not? Maybe if everybody didn't carry (fee for service)... Prices would be cheaper??

Again... I am sorry... The insurance did pick up the bulk... Yet they are getting over 12k from my employer and me.

Laugh all you want... Is it better for you? You must be one of the lucky ones. <_<

You heard it hear in 2009... The industry is pricing themselves right into gov't regulation/change.

I think what you meant to say was that government regulations were forcing the industry to price themselves right into gov't regulation/change. It's the perfect storm for the liberals who have been trying to take over health care for years.

No... I am sorry. My son also had a bad break... Surgery and pins... The TOTAL bille was around 11 grand... I didn't pay nearly that much... I think the deductible was 150 at the time... YES 150... Ya, the insurance picked it up, that was 4 years ago... They have been raking in the dough ever since without a lick of trouble.

Ya, thank God I had insurance... I would still be paying today... Or maybe not? Maybe if everybody didn't carry (fee for service)... Prices would be cheaper??

Again... I am sorry... The insurance did pick up the bulk... Yet they are getting over 12k from my employer and me.

You're a good example of the post I left last night. You don't have a choice of coverage. You get whatever the Federal Government offers to you. If you're not happy with the insurance company, you can't go elsewhere. Because I shopped independently for my insurance, I chose a higher deductible plan at half the cost of yours. If nobody in my family breaks an arm or has some other emergency, I win to the tune of $8k per year. I had the choice because I own my own business and chose this type of coverage for our company. If people could make individual choices not tied to employment, they would find less expensive ways to provide coverage. On the other hand, some of our employees might not like the coverage we have selected and they cannot easily make another choice. We don't offer one.

You're a good example of the post I left last night. You don't have a choice of coverage. You get whatever the Federal Government offers to you. If you're not happy with the insurance company, you can't go elsewhere. Because I shopped independently for my insurance, I chose a higher deductible plan at half the cost of yours. If nobody in my family breaks an arm or has some other emergency, I win to the tune of $8k per year. I had the choice because I own my own business and chose this type of coverage for our company. If people could make individual choices not tied to employment, they would find less expensive ways to provide coverage. On the other hand, some of our employees might not like the coverage we have selected and they cannot easily make another choice. We don't offer one.

Yes I understand. I can still choose what they offer and part of the problem what I choose that has alwys worked itn eh past. I have to retstart thinking what I choose. It always worked in the past, but I can see it not working in the furture.

Why are prices going so high and service going down?

And to LA, there is still the same gov't rules that there was two years ago... Are we headed to the cliff like when gas prices shot up and caused all sorts of problems within the system? It is the free-market that if allowed to run its course unchecked, creates the perfect storm.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the free-market... I just don't think it can be blindly trusted. We have seen historically what happens when one puts their trust solely in the free-market, the 1920's come to mind... The Dust Bowls of the 1930's then follow. Same thing will happen to health care if it is allowed to run its course. We are beginning to see the gathering droughts link themselves together.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the free-market... I just don't think it can be blindly trusted. We have seen historically what happens when one puts their trust solely in the free-market, the 1920's come to mind... The Dust Bowls of the 1930's then follow. Same thing will happen to health care if it is allowed to run its course. We are beginning to see the gathering droughts link themselves together.

Ahh but we don't have a free market in health insurance today. It's regulated state by state and it's dominated by employment with employers making the coverage choices for their employees. If the system allowed insurance companies to sell across state lines and was sold to individuals directly and insurance companies could bundle health, life, auto and homeowners together, you'd see more choices, competition and lower costs. Don't be fooled by the Obama rhetoric. He is simply looking for a way to give coverage to many at the expense of some and to create a framework in which to control who gets benefits and who pays for it.

Are you the only person still alive who thinks that the Depression was the reuslt of the free market? Really?

Are you the only person still alive who thinks that the Depression was the reuslt of the free market? Really?

You can say yes... It didn't help. Not sure about you, but my parents lived during it.

There was a nice documentary on the History Channel on the dust bowls and what the free market (wheat) did worsen the situation.

You gotta admit... Where was gov't when we need it most in out history before the worse ecological disaster this country ever has seen.

You think you understand the situation better than the rest. To me that is scary because you do not understand it.

You're projecting, as usual. I understand the situation quite well, with all of the typical entities to blame. With all of those players, it's pretty obvious that NO SINGLE party can act alone to solve it, yet that's exactly what you're advocating because "it couldn't possibly get worse (the most laughable thing you've ever posted).

I also understand that the government will not solve a problem that they've had a huge hand at causing by giving them a bigger stake in the proceedings. That's obviously tough for you to get from the five foot view you're taking (which is typical).

We will just agree to disagree.

Why should this issue be different than every other one that you're totally wrong about?