The disappointment of non-playing staff of years gone by

Juni

Probably a bit deeper than most people's first posts so perhaps forgive me for that, but here goes anyway. Watching SNF last night, it struck me how impressive the Atlanta offense is, their execution, their variation, their depth and their overall effectiveness. Of course, their OC is Mike Mularkey. Earlier in the day I'd watched Gregg Williams' Saints D do a superb job on the Giants.

You know where this is going...

Head Coaches:

Wade Phillips - whilst he might not have fully delivered in Dallas, he has a winning season for every HC year since he left Buffalo. The Bills have had one since he left.

Gregg Williams - put together a strong D unit in Washington and has turned the Saints D into one of the better in the league this year.

Mike Mularkey - had a bit a struggle with a diabolical offense in Miami but is back on his feet leading a superb Falcons offensive unit.

Offensive Co-Ordinators:

Joe Pendry - is part of the offensive coaching team at #1 Alabama

Mike Sheppard - is the Bengals WR coach and has been for three years, helping Ochocinco and Housh become and stay elite receivers in this league, whilst developing the likes of Henry and Caldwell.

Kevin Gilbride - Giants Offensive Co-ordinator, is a fantastic and productive unit which has gotten even better since Plax disappeared. Before that was QB coach, is responsible for the development of Eli, one of the league's elite QBs

Tom Clements - Packers QB coach, has helped develop Aaron Rodgers into a top end QB

Steve Fairchild - is doing a pretty good job at Colorado State, bit outside of this discussion though

Turk Schonert - wait and see....

Defensive Co-ordinators:

Ted Cottrell - ran a strong Minnesota D, then a superb Chargers D before it went wrong, definitely talented but it does seem to fall apart a bit over time.

Jerry Gray - Washington Secondary Coach,

"Gray’s secondary played a key role in the 2008 Redskins defense finishing the season ranked fourth overall in yards allowed per game (288.8) and sixth overall in points allowed per game (18.5)" - he always runs a very solid unit.

Fair enough, there were reasons for their departures from Buffalo, poor performances/production and whatever else, but the fact that the vast majority of them have landed on their feet elsewhere and in the main part have done a superb job in new roles suggests that maybe it wasn't them, but it was the Bills? It just does a little bit more to add credence to the notion that the whole organisation is rotten and needs blowing up from the very top. I dunno, maybe I'm over-analysing it, but it's disappointing to see so many ex-Bills staff doing well elsewhere when it should/could have been here.

The cherry on top of this very sour cake though? Bill Polian.

Gilbride and Cottrell are the only ones who have really had any success in the same jobs we had them in. There rest of them got demoted and had a modest amount of success.

Exactly my thoughts.

Jerry Gray was a d-coordinator who was touted to be the next great head coach candidate. Gee, what happend to that career path? Obviously, he was in over his head and is probably where he belongs at this time - as a position coach.