I was diagnosed with the flu on Friday and so was my older son on Satu

Peter

My seven year old and I were both diagnosed with the flu. Because it is not the time for the seasonal flu, we were told that we both probably have H1N1. Fortunately, we both are feeling better. I just hope that my 20 month old does not get it.

I was wondering whether any of you have been diagnosed with it?

Be well.

Peter

Both my kids (11 yrs old) tested positive for Type A last week, the morning after we flew in to Buffalo for the weekend. My son had a fever, but my daughter did not (but still tested positive). We caught it early - my son's fever was gone in 24 hrs - and they both got better quickly. Basically just quarantined them in a room in my Dad's house - forced them to drink constantly and do nothing but rest. Didn't realize the common test really doesn't isolate to H1N1, but same thing they basically just assumed that's what it was (the Dr. actually told us flat out it was swine flu - wasn't until I talked to a nurse after she explained the test really diagnoses Type A)

I am absolutely amazed my wife and I didn't get it - they say only mostly contagious in first 48 hrs so looks like we dodged a bullet.

Both my kids tested positive for Type A last week, the morning after we flew in to Buffalo for the weekend. My son had a fever, but my daughter did not (but still tested positive). We caught it early - my son's fever was gone in 24 hrs - and they both got better quickly. Basically just quarantined them in a room in my Dad's house - forced them to drink constantly and do nothing but rest.

I am absolutely amazed my wife and I didn't get it - they say only mostly contagious in first 48 hrs so looks like we dodged a bullet.

I am glad everything worked out for you guy. I just hope my 20 month old does not get it. So far, so good . . . .

My seven year old and I were both diagnosed with the flu. Because it is not the time for the seasonal flu, we were told that we both probably have H1N1. Fortunately, we both are feeling better. I just hope that my 20 month old does not get it.

Be well.

Peter

I just got over the H1N1. So did my GF. We both had symptoms that ranged from mild to medium for about three and a half weeks. 99% of the cases of flu, nationwide, being diagnosed right now are H1N1. Our symptoms weren't identical to one another's, either, and I found that weird. I had a stronger cough, and my fever spiked one night at 102 and I put myself on alert to go to the ER in case that lasted more than 24 hours, at the behest of the nurse's hotline I called. It only lasted overnight, maybe because I drank about a half gallon of water before I went to bed, I dunno. And that high fever that one night wasn't even accompanied by major body aches or headache, just sorta this weird grogginess and loopiness. Totally unlike any flu I've ever had before. My lungs never got full of "stuff", and the cough was only triggered by real deep breaths.

The thing, I think, that's worrying people about this H1N1, aside from the hype being generated by our outlandishly uneducated media, is the way it affects the body's internal thermostat, making the body temp just shoot up at the drop of a hat to maybe 100-101, then go back down to normal, and making one's hands and feet super cold while your forehead registers a low fever, totally, totally bizarre. That and the immense fatigue. That's a doozy. Makes you feel like falling asleep while driving. Bad stuff.

A friend's son DID have a really bad fever and strange neck stiffness that worried the doctors enough to get him a spinal tap to test for meningitis. It turned out negative, and eventually, his temp went down, but that was really worrisome for all.

I would warn you that the doc WE saw when we went in to get my GF checked out told us something that seemed to not make alot of sense, but kind of explained why the deaths that are occurring from H1N1 are happening to supposedly healthy people. He said that the body, when it's in really good shape, produces a chemical when it's fighting off viruses, and ironically, the more in shape the body started off, the more of this chemical can be produced, and in HIS opinion (so far I have yet to corroborate this), this chemical is what has been responsible for messing with the organ systems and shutting them down in the RARE cases where this is happening.

Just watch the fever, keep the nurse hotline phone number handy, and drink TONS of water, and try to relax and know that, although this H1N1 is hitting EVERYBODY (high communicability), it's symptoms are VERY mild (low mortality) in almost everyone.

I just got over the H1N1. So did my GF. We both had symptoms that ranged from mild to medium for about three and a half weeks. 99% of the cases of flu, nationwide, being diagnosed right now are H1N1. Our symptoms weren't identical to one another's, either, and I found that weird. I had a stronger cough, and my fever spiked one night at 102 and I put myself on alert to go to the ER in case that lasted more than 24 hours, at the behest of the nurse's hotline I called. It only lasted overnight, maybe because I drank about a half gallon of water before I went to bed, I dunno. And that high fever that one night wasn't even accompanied by major body aches or headache, just sorta this weird grogginess and loopiness. Totally unlike any flu I've ever had before. My lungs never got full of "stuff", and the cough was only triggered by real deep breaths.

The thing, I think, that's worrying people about this H1N1, aside from the hype being generated by our outlandishly uneducated media, is the way it affects the body's internal thermostat, making the body temp just shoot up at the drop of a hat to maybe 100-101, then go back down to normal, and making one's hands and feet super cold while your forehead registers a low fever, totally, totally bizarre. That and the immense fatigue. That's a doozy. Makes you feel like falling asleep while driving. Bad stuff.

A friend's son DID have a really bad fever and strange neck stiffness that worried the doctors enough to get him a spinal tap to test for meningitis. It turned out negative, and eventually, his temp went down, but that was really worrisome for all.

I would warn you that the doc WE saw when we went in to get my GF checked out told us something that seemed to not make alot of sense, but kind of explained why the deaths that are occurring from H1N1 are happening to supposedly healthy people. He said that the body, when it's in really good shape, produces a chemical when it's fighting off viruses, and ironically, the more in shape the body started off, the more of this chemical can be produced, and in HIS opinion (so far I have yet to corroborate this), this chemical is what has been responsible for messing with the organ systems and shutting them down in the RARE cases where this is happening.

Just watch the fever, keep the nurse hotline phone number handy, and drink TONS of water, and try to relax and know that, although this H1N1 is hitting EVERYBODY (high communicability), it's symptoms are VERY mild (low mortality) in almost everyone.

Thanks. My temp was at 102.9. My seven year old had 103. Our temps are much better now. I had the worst case of the chills a couple of days ago. That returned the next day. That is when I got checked out. I have been on the Tamiflu since then. My son is not on the Tamiflu because it was beyond 48 hours for him and my wife did not want to risk the side effects for kids with the Tamiflu. Thank God, he seems to be pretty stable now. We are both staying home tomorrow.

I am glad everything worked out for you guy. I just hope my 20 month old does not get it. So far, so good . . . .

My 4 yr old nephew had it. He was over it in a day and a half. Didn't transmit it to his 2 brothers, one of which was about 5 months old at the time.

I got a 6 month old myself, so i worry about this a lot.

Hoping for the best for you....

My 4 yr old nephew had it. He was over it in a day and a half. Didn't transmit it to his 2 brothers, one of which was about 5 months old at the time.

I got a 6 month old myself, so i worry about this a lot.

Hoping for the best for you....

Thanks.

I have always had a very strong immune system (I have only gotten sick once in 8 years). But my girlfriend was recently sick (She always gets sick and takes even the common cold as a threat to her life) with a fever and she went to the doctor who said she had H1N1. My mom heard about this and thought I should go to the doctor. But I felt fine no signs of sickness and I even gave my girl a kiss the day before she went to the doctor.

Its been over a week and i feel fine. I wasn't worried about my health (As I said I am very fortunate to never get sick knock on wood) but was really concerned about my mom and dad getting sick as I could have carried it but just not having had the symptoms. So far so good I have been extra cautious while being around my parents and my girl friend feels much better after about two weeks of being down.

When she mentioned me to her doctor she said that he was shocked that I didn't get sick.

I have always had a very strong immune system (I have only gotten sick once in 8 years). But my girlfriend was recently sick (She always gets sick and takes even the common cold as a threat to her life) with a fever and she went to the doctor who said she had H1N1. My mom heard about this and thought I should go to the doctor. But I felt fine no signs of sickness and I even gave my girl a kiss the day before she went to the doctor.

Its been over a week and i feel fine. I wasn't worried about my health (As I said I am very fortunate to never get sick knock on wood) but was really concerned about my mom and dad getting sick as I could have carried it but just not having had the symptoms. So far so good I have been extra cautious while being around my parents and my girl friend feels much better after about two weeks of being down.

When she mentioned me to her doctor she said that he was shocked that I didn't get sick.

It is the young that will have a harder time... There were pandemics in the 1950's... One they said in 1968 and one in 1976... If one was born after 1976, I take they are more at risk this time!

And on another note... Does this mean the one's that totally let themselves go will fair better! :P:lol: Ain't that cool!!! :lol:

as i said a couple times, I came down with a nasty bug about 3 weeks ago, but did not go to the doctor, because (A), I had an idea what I had, and (B), I was not part of any of the at risk groups. Mine was fever, aches and dizziness, no stomache issues at all...lasted 3.5 days with fever, then the coughing for about 10 days after wards...none of my kids got it...from what i have read, my symptoms matched those of others that had confirmed H1N1

Be well.

Peter

The thing, I think, that's worrying people about this H1N1, aside from the hype being generated by our outlandishly uneducated media,

Can you possibly reconcile these two statements, beyond the fact that you're not media?

Stop feeding the hype machine.

Can you possibly reconcile these two statements, beyond the fact that you're not media?

Stop feeding the hype machine.

This is an open forumn, are you saying we are all "media?"

Hey! power to the out-of-shape fat slobs! They will fair better with this flu!

:P:lol:

Ah... How life and disease work its little twists...

:lol:

Oh... The analogy with this flu can be the one of the over pursing football defense... The flu just runs around these over active, strong immune systems... That is why we are probably seeing the extremely healthy get it along with of course the extremely comprimised indivduals.

Strange if this is really true!

It's called "cytokine storm". The immune system produces cytokines that in turn stimulate the immune system to produce more cytokines...when that feedback look gets out of whack (becomes unregulated, however it's regulated to begin with), the immune system runs out-of-control. If it happens in the lungs, you get acute pulmonary edema.

It's the postulated mode of mortality for the 1918 flu - it's not the virus itself that kills, it's the body's haywire response to it. It's also why otherwise healthy people can get so sick - unhealty people with weaker immune systems have a weaker cytokine feedback loop, hence are less likely go into hypercytokinemia.

It's also why I'm not worried...I'm not that healthy.

are you considering getting the vaccine for your 20 month old? or have you consulted a doctor in regards to that?

It's called "cytokine storm". The immune system produces cytokines that in turn stimulate the immune system to produce more cytokines...when that feedback look gets out of whack (becomes unregulated, however it's regulated to begin with), the immune system runs out-of-control. If it happens in the lungs, you get acute pulmonary edema.

It's the postulated mode of mortality for the 1918 flu - it's not the virus itself that kills, it's the body's haywire response to it. It's also why otherwise healthy people can get so sick - unhealty people with weaker immune systems have a weaker cytokine feedback loop, hence are less likely go into hypercytokinemia.

THANK YOU. See, whoever it was who yelled at me, I wasn't just feeding the hype machine. I just couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that chemical or whatever.

On one end, where does Darwin's survival of the fittest fit into all of this?

:bag:

THANK YOU. See, whoever it was who yelled at me, I wasn't just feeding the hype machine. I just couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that chemical or whatever.

John Adams I believe... He is probably super fit... :bag::doh:

And with regard to infants, aren't their immune systems not full up to snuff util about 3 years old?

John Adams I believe... He is probably super fit... :bag::doh:

And with regard to infants, aren't their immune systems not full up to snuff util about 3 years old?

The reports seem to support this, though, with the most deaths happening in the 4-5-year-old age group, and then young adults.