Do the Bills have the deepest secondary in the NFL?

Big Turk

We might not have the best secondary in the NFL, but I think it would be hard to argue against the Bills having the deepest secondary...

how many teams are able to withstand losing 3 of their starting 4 players, and for much of the Jets game had their entire starting secondary out, and not only don't they lose the game for us, they play what might be one of the best 2 game stretches in Bills history, limiting one QB to 2 of 17 for 23 yards and an INT, and the other to 10 of 25 with 5 INTs...

I don't care that they weren't the greatest QBs in the league, they shut down Brees also, who just put up ridiculous numbers against the Giants...

What makes it even MORE impressive is the teams are running the ball so well, and that usually opens up big plays off the playaction pass, but not against these guys...

I mean really...what team loses their entire starting secondary, and actually plays BETTER?? Its almost mind boggling to me, but the Bills have at least done something right on D...Byrd is a freaking beast, that kid is gonna be a pro-bowler within a few years...Wilson has gotten much better and has good ball skills as well...Florence has been in everyones hip pocket this year, and Corner is playing like he was in the preseason, which means he is in everyones hip pocket as well..

Most teams try and hide their secondary if they lose 2 starters, but the Bills lose all 4 and not only don't hide them, they flaunt them...

remember when New England lost all those DB's a few years ago? They played smoke and mirror defense the rest of the year hoping they didn't get torched too bad...not only are the Bills not getting torched, they are keeping them in the games...

why are other teams throwing the ball when they run it so well?

We might not have the best secondary in the NFL, but I think it would be hard to argue against the Bills having the deepest secondary...

how many teams are able to withstand losing 3 of their starting 4 players, and for much of the Jets game had their entire starting secondary out, and not only don't they lose the game for us, they play what might be one of the best 2 game stretches in Bills history, limiting one QB to 2 of 17 for 23 yards and an INT, and the other to 10 of 25 with 5 INTs...

I don't care that they weren't the greatest QBs in the league, they shut down Brees also, who just put up ridiculous numbers against the Giants...

What makes it even MORE impressive is the teams are running the ball so well, and that usually opens up big plays off the playaction pass, but not against these guys...

I mean really...what team loses their entire starting secondary, and actually plays BETTER?? Its almost mind boggling to me, but the Bills have at least done something right on D...Byrd is a freaking beast, that kid is gonna be a pro-bowler within a few years...Wilson has gotten much better and has good ball skills as well...Florence has been in everyones hip pocket this year, and Corner is playing like he was in the preseason, which means he is in everyones hip pocket as well..

Most teams try and hide their secondary if they lose 2 starters, but the Bills lose all 4 and not only don't hide them, they flaunt them...

remember when New England lost all those DB's a few years ago? They played smoke and mirror defense the rest of the year hoping they didn't get torched too bad...not only are the Bills not getting torched, they are keeping them in the games...

SO when the opposing teams ar rushing for almost 300 yards a game we can say we have depth at CB?????

The secondary is not as good as you are making them out to be. Bad Qb throws like yesterday and teams running more succesfully and passing less might make them look like there are atleast capble of looking adequate.

Its amazing when this team wins we are suddenly great at certain things and positions. I dont know what game you watched yesterday but i was watching a game and thought to myself if the bills were playing them selves they would still lose. The game was pathetic and we were LUCKY to come away with a win.

SO when the opposing teams ar rushing for almost 300 yards a game we can say we have depth at CB?????

The secondary is not as good as you are making them out to be. Bad Qb throws like yesterday and teams running more succesfully and passing less might make them look like there are atleast capble of looking adequate.

Its amazing when this team wins we are suddenly great at certain things and positions. I dont know what game you watched yesterday but i was watching a game and thought to myself if the bills were playing them selves they would still lose. The game was pathetic and we were LUCKY to come away with a win.

What was Drew Brees excuse then? They really didn't get run over until the 4th quarter on defense...

The depth is ok, not great, actually our starters aren't great either. Could it be that the DBs are playing well because the opponents can run at will and rarely HAVE to pass?

The depth is ok, not great, actually our starters aren't great either. Could it be that the DBs are playing well because the opponents can run at will and rarely HAVE to pass?

that should make it EASIER to pass, not more difficult...

It certainly would appear that way. When Fouts (maybe it was him) were feigning concern when McGee and Whitner were out, I shrugged and thought we have a few more than capable guys to step up.

Wilson played a whole season (and did a pretty good job when he was in there), Youboty has been pressing for playing time the past 2 years before injuries cut short his attempts, and Reggie Corner is a solid CB that could probably be starting on 1/2 the teams in the league.

Real solid depth. There's one thing Jauron did right.

I would trade the last decade with Tennessee's in a heartbeat. Also, note that their struggles began after they let the best defensive lineman in the league walk away.

I don't think losing haynesworth caused Collins to not be able to hit the broadside of a barn with the football.

Yep... :w00t:

2 games where the opposition completed such a low percentage is a freak occurrence. And what level of run support are these CBs providing? That's part of the job. I don't expect them to get a bunch of run tackles, but they have to recognize a run and come into the action at least, and make a runner jive or pause or whatever, so that the lbs can zero in.

Especially with the C2 they tend to play. They're ten yards up, but they are close enough to make run stops.

Edited by stuckincincy

What was Drew Brees excuse then? They really didn't get run over until the 4th quarter on defense...

the saints had 222 yards on the ground why throw when you can run that well?

I like that it wasnt till the 4th QTR so the means they are not conditioned enough to play 4 qtrs of the game?

THE BEST is able to play ALL 4 QTRS.

The losers and winners are typically found in the 4th QTR when the games on the line and Im not sure what games you have been watching this season but this team loses in the 4th qtr and its mostly on the defense.

I don't think losing haynesworth caused Collins to not be able to hit the broadside of a barn with the football.

you mean that 2 for 12 performance for -7 yards isn't what you are looking for in an NFL QB?