Whitner/Byrd

Coach Klein

does anybody know if Whitner is indeed back is he going to play SS and Byrd FS this week?

after the way Byrd played sunday I sure hope that is the case.

Why does everyone love Byrd all of a sudden? He has made some nice tackles, and it is good to know he can tackle. But when a FS makes that many tackles it means the other 10 guys suck, not that he is that great. Was it the interception? If so that ball was throw 10 yards off target, to the middle of the field, and Byrd just BARELY got there for the pick. If it was a half decent throw he is burnt for a TD. Not an impressive play. His tackling is nice to see, I just wish someone would make a tackle before the ball carrier got to Byrd.

Why does everyone love Byrd all of a sudden? He has made some nice tackles, and it is good to know he can tackle. But when a FS makes that many tackles it means the other 10 guys suck, not that he is that great. Was it the interception? If so that ball was throw 10 yards off target, to the middle of the field, and Byrd just BARELY got there for the pick. If it was a half decent throw he is burnt for a TD. Not an impressive play. His tackling is nice to see, I just wish someone would make a tackle before the ball carrier got to Byrd.

:devil:

Hey it's really early to anoint the kid already but I think what people are picking up on is that he has made some plays. Personally I am too used to our safeties being invisible, missing tackles or chasing down WRs and TEs after they have already made a reception.

Donte seems to be around the ball sometimes and occasionally makes a play that makes a difference. More often than not he seems to just be somewhere in the vicinity or in on a gang tackle. Byrd being just a rookie shows some promise in that there could be some play maker in him that could develop with time on the field.

Hey it's really early to anoint the kid already but I think what people are picking up on is that he has made some plays. Personally I am too used to our safeties being invisible, missing tackles or being nowhere near the play. Donte always seems to be around the ball but doesn't seem to get there in time to make the play, rather just somewhere in the vicinity or in on a gang tackle. Byrd being just a rookie shows some promise in that there could be some play maker in him that could develop with time on the field.

True, and one of them was a #8 pick.

well you figure since scott isn't back yet...it'll either be whitner and byrd or whitner and wilson. both byrd and wilson played solid stepping in but i think overall byrd outplayed wilson. so thats what got my curiosity.

well you figure since scott isn't back yet...it'll either be whitner and byrd or whitner and wilson. both byrd and wilson played solid stepping in but i think overall byrd outplayed wilson. so thats what got my curiosity.

I agree Byrd is solid and is a better coverage option than Scott. Byrd seems to be right there with run support as well. I wasnt trying to rip on Byrd, just point out that this week seemed to be the week to really jump on his bandwagoon, and I wasnt sure if it was because of that pick or not. Maybe we will get a QB hurry out of Maybin this week. Babysteps....

I agree Byrd is solid and is a better coverage option than Scott. Byrd seems to be right there with run support as well. I wasnt trying to rip on Byrd, just point out that this week seemed to be the week to really jump on his bandwagoon, and I wasnt sure if it was because of that pick or not. Maybe we will get a QB hurry out of Maybin this week. Babysteps....

Ya right! This is a Byrd Whitner thread but the problem with Maybin right now, as was said when we drafted him, is that he is a situational pass rusher. We never get ahead of opponents to the point where we can get them into a pass every down mode. Right now teams have just been running our asses over as our offense can't put any points on the board to necessitate passing to keep up with us.

I used to think Jauron was modeling us after his early turn of the millennium Bears. I have since realized with the installation of the no huddle he has been trying to model us after the Colts all along! Problem is we don't have their offensive or defensive lines and Trent Edwards is NOT Peyton Manning. Honestly he couldn't even hold Peyton's sweaty old jock.