What would YOU do

So I owe 3 private loans to Sallie Mae.

Here are the balances and % rates:

1) 9000 - 11%

2) 9500 - 9%

3) 4500 - 7%

Wells Fargo would take all of these loans and give me an interest rate (around 4-6%) with consolidation which is wayyyy better than Sallie Mae.

this is what I'm paying... how weird is this?! (this includes my federal loans also)

1 months @ $188.41

7 months @ $309.86

95 months @ $472.49

1 months @ $473.88

192 months @ $121.45

Would you consolidate the private loans?

Would you also consolidate the federal loans with another company?

1) 9000 - 11%

2) 9500 - 9%

3) 4500 - 7%

Wells Fargo would take all of these loans and give me an interest rate (around 4-6%) with consolidation which is wayyyy better than Sallie Mae.

this is what I'm paying... how weird is this?! (this includes my federal loans also)

1 months @ $188.41

7 months @ $309.86

95 months @ $472.49

1 months @ $473.88

192 months @ $121.45

Get rid of that Sallie Mae loan because the interest is going to eat you alive. Here's my question, How many private loans do you have? Is Wells Fargo looking to consolidate all your public and private loans or just the private?

1) 9000 - 11%

2) 9500 - 9%

3) 4500 - 7%

1 months @ $188.41

7 months @ $309.86

95 months @ $472.49

1 months @ $473.88

192 months @ $121.45

I take it you were not a math major.

It has nothing to do with math if you paid attention to the original post

Its based on consolidation of interest rates

Re-read it again and then come back to me, please!

You are paying between 7-11% and you can lower that interest rate to 4-6%. How is that not a math question?

1) 9000 - 11%

2) 9500 - 9%

3) 4500 - 7%

1 months @ $188.41

7 months @ $309.86

95 months @ $472.49

1 months @ $473.88

192 months @ $121.45

This is good info, but just a start - I'll need more, if you want my help.

Please give me your full name, date of birth, current address, SSN, tel #, email address, and bank account #'s - I'll wire you enough money to pay off all your balances.

This is good info, but just a start - I'll need more, if you want my help.

Please give me your full name, date of birth, current address, SSN, tel #, email address, and bank account #'s - I'll wire you enough money to pay off all your balances.

Shouldn't you require him to send you a small payment in advance first? Say 2 or 3 thousand? After all, you'll incur some expenses on his behalf - like stamps and envelopes and such.

Shouldn't you require him to send you a small payment in advance first? Say 2 or 3 thousand? After all, you'll incur some expenses on his behalf - like stamps and envelopes and such.

Good point - thanks! :devil:

Stampede, $3K should cover my out-of-pocket costs - and please don't forget to include all relevant PINs.

1) 9000 - 11%

2) 9500 - 9%

3) 4500 - 7%

1 months @ $188.41

7 months @ $309.86

95 months @ $472.49

1 months @ $473.88

192 months @ $121.45

You should seek out an online loan calculator and do the math for both scenarios - multiple loan payment schedules and a single loan with the interest rates your provider will give you. Pay attention to the total amount of money that you're going to pay the financial institution over the duration of your loan(s).

What do you think is better - making payments on three separate loan schedules simultaneously or making a single payment at a lower interest rate for (perhaps) a longer period of time? Don't know what your income generating power is like and what amount of your budget you can spare for debt service.

Short answer: Do a roll up of all the loans for as long a time period as you can - and then make payments in excess of the minimum required, i.e., pay the damn thing off early. You'll be glad you did.

A couple years ago some a-hole running that scam used a mock-up of our company's check as the lure.

They sent random people checks for $3,000 drawn on our company account with a letter telling them to deposit the check and send the proceed to the 'tax clearinghouse' for release of their lotto winnings. They must have grabbed a random check out of the mail to get our bank info. So next thing you know, people are either a) trying to cash these checks on us (banks are pretty good at catching this stuff now) or b) calling us up and asking about it. Obviously the scam is hoping people will forward the $3k before the check is returned.

It didn't cost us any money, but was a pain in the ass to deal with. Had to close our operating account and set up a new one.

You should seek out an online loan calculator and do the math for both scenarios - multiple loan payment schedules and a single loan with the interest rates your provider will give you. Pay attention to the total amount of money that you're going to pay the financial institution over the duration of your loan(s).

What do you think is better - making payments on three separate loan schedules simultaneously or making a single payment at a lower interest rate for (perhaps) a longer period of time? Don't know what your income generating power is like and what amount of your budget you can spare for debt service.

Short answer: Do a roll up of all the loans for as long a time period as you can - and then make payments in excess of the minimum required, i.e., pay the damn thing off early. You'll be glad you did.

It's actually a one single payment on a shorter period of time!