The Start Shane Matthews thread!

The feelings which I had this past off-season were confirmed in that the Bills should have obviously looked for another answer at QB this year rather than resigning Bledsoe, but I think the calls to throw JP Losman to the wolves such as last night strike me as silly.

Benching Bledsoe comes to late for this season though he should not be cut until after June 1, 2005 when his dead space on the cap can be distributed over several years. However, the idea of starting Losman before he is ready to properly learn to be an NFL QB and contribute to the team seems foolhardy to me.

We have pursued a strategy of QB development of throwing a QB in to start meaningless games before he was ready previously, this QB was Todd Collins. Some will argue that a U Mich QB will never perform in this league (and they would be wrong see Tom Brady) but he certainly will not perform if he is taught to develop losing habits and is thrown to the dogs by fans who want to see Bledsoe killed before JP is ready physically (we need to see how his broken fibula responds to getting game stress), mentally (his reads and communication need to be analyzed to make sure he is developing NFL knowledge and control of the game. and intellectually (he needs to have mechanics that maximize his chances of success because off-blance wrongfoot throws which worked at Tulane will not work in the Pros.

Playing in the field is something an NFL QB MUST do to develop, but this is different than saying that he is best developed as our QB of the the future (the future is 2005) by throwing him to the wolves now. On field play is not the ONLY thing Losman needs for his development and we got a taste of that last night with his Bledsoe like play when he was thrown to the wolves.

I do not think Shane Matthews can win in this league. However, for now as the Bills passed on signing aa back-up QB capable of winning in this league the question is can he be better at practicing for the 2005 season.

I don't know if he can be good, but I find it hard to believe he cannot be a better 2005 pre-season QB than Bledsoe and that it isn't better for JPs development to haver him focus on the mental and intellectual parts of the game first before we worry about him learning (as he must) at NFL speeds and against NFL opponents.

Sorry dude. I completely and respectfully disagree. Bledsoe needs to start the next 2 games at least. I'd prefer if he saw out the season.

Matthews is an emergeny option that I'd rather not see on the field at all. Its got to be Drew all the way with little flashed of JP to help his development. Come January - Matthews goes to be replaced by a proper long term backup and Drew can see out his contract until 2006 to do the same job on JP as he did on Brady.

I just don't see how starting Matthews makes any sense at all. This St. Louis game is the perfect scenario to start our QB of the future. The game is at home, it's against a mediocre St. Louis defense. The playoffs aren't even a remote possibility. Put the kid in there. Puuting Matthews in does absolutely nothing in helping Losman develop.

If Bledsoe starts next week, (and we'll probably know by Thursday at the latest) then we should put our heads together and make some kind of statement to let TD and the coaches know that they're wasting our time and Ralph's $.

Drew's attitude is so infuriating. He has no self awareness. He is a beaten, defeated man. And he's our "leader".

Shaun Alexander torched them for 176 rushing yards. JP can hand off as well as Bledsoe can.

118020[/snapback]

Exactly. Putting him in last night was a recipe for failure, but if it makes the kid put that much more effort into it this week, so be it. Start him at home.

Sorry dude. I completely and respectfully disagree. Bledsoe needs to start the next 2 games at least. I'd prefer if he saw out the season.

Matthews is an emergeny option that I'd rather not see on the field at all. Its got to be Drew all the way with little flashed of JP to help his development. Come January - Matthews goes to be replaced by a proper long term backup and Drew can see out his contract until 2006 to do the same job on JP as he did on Brady.

118008[/snapback]

Nick, what do you base this opinion on? The fact that everyone thinks Shane Matthews could somehow be worse than Drew Bledsoe? The only way that could be is if the Bills could score in the negative numbers!

Drew Bledsoe is PUTRID! He does not desere to start another game. Let me ask you this: Everyone knows how MM handled benching Travis Henry. What does it say to the team when Drew Bledsoe is killing this team, yet gets to start?

PTR

118008[/snapback]

no fuggin way bledsoe sees the field again period. he is done and has been done. Let JP have ALL the damn snaps this week and lets see what happens.

no fuggin way bledsoe sees the field again period. he is done and has been done. Let JP have ALL the damn snaps this week and lets see what happens.

118046[/snapback]

Yep. Anyone but Drew, get him out of town pronto, deactivate the POS. :blink:

Drew's attitude is so infuriating. He has no self awareness. He is a beaten, defeated man. And he's our "leader".

118030[/snapback]

He's looks very frusterated. Especially against his old team. But give the guy some credit. He goes out there and gives it his best. He doesn't have someone that he can talk to on the sidelines. Where is the QB coach?

Nick, what do you base this opinion on?  The fact that everyone thinks Shane Matthews could somehow be worse than Drew Bledsoe?  The only way that could be is if the Bills could score in the negative numbers!

Drew Bledsoe is PUTRID!  He does not desere to start another game.  Let me ask you this:  Everyone knows how MM handled benching Travis Henry.  What does it say to the team when Drew Bledsoe is killing this team, yet gets to start?

PTR

118032[/snapback]

Who leads the O in the absence of Bledsoe? Shane Matthews may not be WORSE than Bledsoe - but I am convinced he will not be any better - so why bother? It may be that Drew has lost the respect of the team - and if that is the case, then sure bench his ass. But if they rally around him, the why hurt what little chemistry they already have??

MM has benched Travis and sent the right message there. By bringing in JP at the end of the game there he sent another message. Drew alone cannot be solely blamed for killing the team. He just can't. Its a different situation to Travis/Willis as we have no 'prospect' to bring in other than JP - and bringing in a Rookie QB now just fills me with dread.

Maybe I am wrong - but I say we stick with Drew and ride out the storm. There is no need to deploy the inflateable liferaft when we know that the tide will overpower it. (Was that a naval analogy?? Egad :blink: )

Only thing getting us in the playoffs is a disaster happening to other teams. I mean like their team bus gets hit by a meteor or something. Something trully terrible. We are finished for this year.

Start Losman at home against the Rams and see what he can do.

Do you really think Bledsoe will be the starter next year?

Do you really think Matthews will be the starter next year?

The answer to both of those questions is NO! If you think otherwise you are drunk, drugged, crazy or all of the above.

Start Losman and let him learn. We may not win, but at least we would be moving in the right direction. (AWAY FROM BLEDSOE)

118046[/snapback]

Exactly! Let's see what happens when the Kid gets all the Reps in Practice...

Look, the Bar is not set that high right now! Go out and play a little better than Bledsoe and JP is an instant Hero...Not exactly asking the Kid to solve World Peace...Wait until next Season and the pressure is built up and immediate. Right now the pressure on JP is as low as it's going to get for his entire career... B)

Either way, a change is overdue. But I'm a bit wary, watching the likes of David Klingler and Akili Smith get thrown to the wolves. I have difficulty putting "Losman" and "Mature Individual" in the same sentence. I noted his petulant pout .

I'd start Matthews. I know that many on the board have a low opinion of him, but I think they are in error. He's had a good number of starts, certainly doesn't throw bullets, but is reasonably mobile, avoids both sacks and interceptions, and spreads the passes around. Consider him a Van Pelt that has many more starts and completed games.

I'd worry that if JP finished out the season, either he'd be shell-shocked or launch a blame game, and more importantly that the team would get more disheartened than they are at the moment with the mistakes that would be inevitable.