an unexpected problem for the Bills this year:

Given the way they are playing, the Bills would seem to be in good shape, but they really have their work cut out for them given the competition. Quite simply, there are more than the usual number of very bad teams this year. The Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Redskins, Bucs, Jags, Rams, and Lions *all* could possibly finish with worse records than the Bills. That'd put them at 10th, and out of the blue-chip QB draft derby.

On the positive side, they did have a big victory yesterday, and it was gutty - that Browns team put on probably the best play-to-lose effort I've seen in some time by a team that failed to lose. The Bills were just tougher in the end. I'm hopeful about the Tennessee game as well given the coaching difference and because it's in TN, but I have big worries about Evans and Owens lighting up a devastated secondary that's about as good as the Bills current starting LB corps. I worry too that the Bills will face Vince Young instead of Collins, and it's worth noting that the Bills face the added disadvantage of coming off of a bye. Still, hope springs eternal.

My biggest concern, of course, is that JauronBall usually will get you four or five wins even in its worst seasons. For now, we can simply hope. Their schedule gets a little easier the next few weeks -- at the Jets, at Carolina, and at home against a good Texans offense. Following the bye, it gets a lot tougher: at TN, at Jax (Jauron has a winning record against them), and then at home against Miami.

Four of the final five are cakewalks: the Jets home-road game in front of an audience that'll probably lean toward the Jets, the Pats, the Colts, and the Falcons in Atlanta. It's the game between the Jets and Pats (the 13th of the season) that could prove decisive: a probable dogfight at KC. That's the one I'll be tuning into. How they do could easily determine whether the current season is a success or a failure. They did kill the Chiefs last year, but what makes me hopeful is that Cassell played well against them last year and the fact that the Chiefs -- like the Browns -- are in the first year of a new regime and will in all likelihood be playing hard. Also, I'm hoping the Chiefs have payback on their mind after the Bills ran up the score against them last year.

Of course, if they were smart they'd fire Jauron to prevent the resurgence of successful JauronBall (a very real threat - the guy hasn't lasted this long for no reason), but clearly, they aren't smart.

Given the way they are playing, the Bills would seem to be in good shape, but they really have their work cut out for them given the competition. Quite simply, there are more than the usual number of very bad teams this year. The Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Redskins, Bucs, Jags, Rams, and Lions *all* could possibly finish with worse records than the Bills. That'd put them at 10th, and out of the blue-chip QB draft derby.

On the positive side, they did have a big victory yesterday, and it was gutty - that Browns team put on probably the best play-to-lose effort I've seen in some time by a team that failed to lose. The Bills were just tougher in the end. I'm hopeful about the Tennessee game as well given the coaching difference and because it's in TN, but I have big worries about Evans and Owens lighting up a devastated secondary that's about as good as the Bills current starting LB corps. I worry too that the Bills will face Vince Young instead of Collins, and it's worth noting that the Bills face the added disadvantage of coming off of a bye. Still, hope springs eternal.

My biggest concern, of course, is that JauronBall usually will get you four or five wins even in its worst seasons. For now, we can simply hope. Their schedule gets a little easier the next few weeks -- at the Jets, at Carolina, and at home against a good Texans offense. Following the bye, it gets a lot tougher: at TN, at Jax (Jauron has a winning record against them), and then at home against Miami.

Four of the final five are cakewalks: the Jets home-road game in front of an audience that'll probably lean toward the Jets, the Pats, the Colts, and the Falcons in Atlanta. It's the game between the Jets and Pats (the 13th of the season) that could prove decisive: a probable dogfight at KC. That's the one I'll be tuning into. How they do could easily determine whether the current season is a success or a failure. They did kill the Chiefs last year, but what makes me hopeful is that Cassell played well against them last year and the fact that the Chiefs -- like the Browns -- are in the first year of a new regime and will in all likelihood be playing hard. Also, I'm hoping the Chiefs have payback on their mind after the Bills ran up the score against them last year.

Of course, if they were smart they'd fire Jauron to prevent the resurgence of successful JauronBall (a very real threat - the guy hasn't lasted this long for no reason), but clearly, they aren't smart.

On the realistic side, and after reading Brian Billick's book (which, I am glad no one is asking for him to come coach the Bills), we know that coaches salaries come out of the teams (and therefore the owner's) pockets. It makes sense that for a small market club like Buffalo, for Ralph to profit mightily he would have to go cheap on GM and on the coaching staff.

I am of the belief that Ralph is preparing the team for his demise. He is not doing what it obviously takes to win (stocking the front office with competent, winning football people), and does not appear to have any impetus to change this implosion any time soon.

Every one gives him so much credit for being a smart businessman, but how could you, for 10 years, put out such an inferior product and be at peace with it? How could you blame Tom Donahoe for taking you to the cleaners when all you had to do was check in every now and then? I feel bad for the guy. His health probably prevents him from tearing the place apart like he would like. But in the history of RW, with the exception of Bill Polian, has he ever done anything right in the hiring of a personnel department?

Sure, not going out at halftime of yesterdays abomination was shrewd. It was classy. But it was also somewhat about self-preservation, since it appears even though that he was at the game, and had to cancel his ceremony, the clunker he watched from his millions of dollars is not causing any changes at OBD.

And how about that cancelled ceremony? What a bunch of loser players we have. Can anyone honestly tell me, that the guy who is providing them with the paycheck and the opportunity to be a professional football player and live a dream and not one of them, not a single one, can get extra revved up to put on a good show to make their owner proud?

Not one?

Bunch of losers.