The Bleeding

shoretalk

Since a fall day in 1962, when my dad took me to see the Bills play the Dallas Texans play in the ROCK PILE ... I have told everyone I have met wherever I have lived that I "bleed Buffalo Bills' 'Red, White, and Blue.'" I can still see the seats we had this many years later. Like many fans I have survived ups and downs ... cheered the "Juice" and wallowed in the pit of the awful years ... and shouted with glee 'THE BILLS MAKE ME WANT TO SHOUT' during the Kelly years. I have overly defended coaches and the owner through the years because I wanted to believe in my team and I wanted every win I could celebrate and never would wish a loss on the team.

This season ... actually the second half of last season ... has pretty much emptied the blood out of my system. Watching a team coached by someone who strives not to lose rather than to win has led to our having a team whose most outspoken member (Whose signing I celebrated because I thought he'd be screaming if the fire continued to be missing.) isn't even screaming to the highest heavens about how bad we are. This team has lacked any fire in the belly for all too many years ... they go through the motions and then say they'll review film or it wasn't all that bad or it was close or the other team had a good day. No one is kicking in the walls of the locker room ... no one is challenging their non-productive team members ("They are all business-like and don't see a need to be emotional or 'fired-up.'"). For years, our team has suffered a greater percentage of injuries to our starters and their replacements than any other team in the league (Where have you gone Rusty Jones?) and is that due to the players not playing with a 100% attitude because my experience is that you are more likely to get hurt playing half speed than full speed.

We have an owner who is lifted up as someone whose most significant contribution to this world has been keeping a team in Buffalo yet he refuses to sign a binding legal commitment that will keep this team here in perpetuity ... his greed is sickening. He paid $25,000 for the team and his family even if selling the team to a low bidder who is willing to keep the team in Buffalo will still make hundreds of millions of dollars. Ralph ... prove yourself a Hall of Famer ... get the lawyers together and show that this fan base that you have abused emotionally will have a team in the future.

Yesterday may have been the final blow ... I recorded it but saw the score and knew I was going to be ill. If Jauron isn't fired or if he isn't man enough to resign (I know that is the most unrealistic expectation any of us could have because he plays to not lose ... the man will never be a winner.) then there is no reason to watch the rest of the games this season. The most significant thing the fan base can do is just stay away on a nice Sunday afternoon or what would have more impact would be to tail-gate let the nation know we didn't just forget the schedule but refuse tot go into the stadium.

A Bronco fan told me last night that through the years her team's management has "always been fair" to their fans. They have had bad years but those are addressed and the philosophy is always based on trying to field a winning team. Just look at their team this year ... not that talented but they are undefeated ... in the end it's attitude.

I am sad ... I am mad ... I am disconnected with a key element that has run through my veins for almost my entire life ...the Bills have kept me emotionally connected to Buffalo even though I have not lived there since the late 1980's.

Maybe ... maybe ... someone with wisdom will shake up Ralph but the rapid erosion is starting to pull all of us away ... it just may be too late now ...

I agree with you especially on the injuries. When you go half speed, you get hurt. It hurts more to get hit than to pop someone. An undersized defense is more vulnerable to injuries. Teams are lining up two tight ends and a fullback in front of our safeties and safety size linebackers, and we suffer the inevitable result.

Since a fall day in 1962, when my dad took me to see the Bills play the Dallas Texans play in the ROCK PILE ... I have told everyone I have met wherever I have lived that I "bleed Buffalo Bills' 'Red, White, and Blue.'" I can still see the seats we had this many years later. Like many fans I have survived ups and downs ... cheered the "Juice" and wallowed in the pit of the awful years ... and shouted with glee 'THE BILLS MAKE ME WANT TO SHOUT' during the Kelly years. I have overly defended coaches and the owner through the years because I wanted to believe in my team and I wanted every win I could celebrate and never would wish a loss on the team.

This season ... actually the second half of last season ... has pretty much emptied the blood out of my system. Watching a team coached by someone who strives not to lose rather than to win has led to our having a team whose most outspoken member (Whose signing I celebrated because I thought he'd be screaming if the fire continued to be missing.) isn't even screaming to the highest heavens about how bad we are. This team has lacked any fire in the belly for all too many years ... they go through the motions and then say they'll review film or it wasn't all that bad or it was close or the other team had a good day. No one is kicking in the walls of the locker room ... no one is challenging their non-productive team members ("They are all business-like and don't see a need to be emotional or 'fired-up.'"). For years, our team has suffered a greater percentage of injuries to our starters and their replacements than any other team in the league (Where have you gone Rusty Jones?) and is that due to the players not playing with a 100% attitude because my experience is that you are more likely to get hurt playing half speed than full speed.

We have an owner who is lifted up as someone whose most significant contribution to this world has been keeping a team in Buffalo yet he refuses to sign a binding legal commitment that will keep this team here in perpetuity ... his greed is sickening. He paid $25,000 for the team and his family even if selling the team to a low bidder who is willing to keep the team in Buffalo will still make hundreds of millions of dollars. Ralph ... prove yourself a Hall of Famer ... get the lawyers together and show that this fan base that you have abused emotionally will have a team in the future.

Yesterday may have been the final blow ... I recorded it but saw the score and knew I was going to be ill. If Jauron isn't fired or if he isn't man enough to resign (I know that is the most unrealistic expectation any of us could have because he plays to not lose ... the man will never be a winner.) then there is no reason to watch the rest of the games this season. The most significant thing the fan base can do is just stay away on a nice Sunday afternoon or what would have more impact would be to tail-gate let the nation know we didn't just forget the schedule but refuse tot go into the stadium.

A Bronco fan told me last night that through the years her team's management has "always been fair" to their fans. They have had bad years but those are addressed and the philosophy is always based on trying to field a winning team. Just look at their team this year ... not that talented but they are undefeated ... in the end it's attitude.

I am sad ... I am mad ... I am disconnected with a key element that has run through my veins for almost my entire life ...the Bills have kept me emotionally connected to Buffalo even though I have not lived there since the late 1980's.

Maybe ... maybe ... someone with wisdom will shake up Ralph but the rapid erosion is starting to pull all of us away ... it just may be too late now ...

Well said and I can add no more.