Damage Control

sjjr

The Bills are obviously not looking like a playoff team now. In fact, right now, they may be the worst team in the league. Now its time to look at the team, play to win now and look at the future. Everyone on this site is looking forward, but I'd like to put my own 2 cents in I guess. Here are my thoughts....

The Bills now:

Offense: The no-huddle offense is not working and its costing them games. It cost them 45 key penalty yards in a bad football game with a bad team. There is not enough experience playing together to pull that off, especially on the disasterous offensive line. Edwards is not a good QB on the move and he is just flustered every play, expecting to not have time. Right Tackle is a disaster, sign someone! The talent on offense is concentrated in two RBs and two WRs. The Bills should make a 180 and run a ball control offense around the run game and play action. Try to shorten games and have a shot at the end. Hopefully, the new front office will have an idea of who can play on that offensive line and who can't.

Defense: Someone needs to inform the Bills that the cover 2 defense is not a novelty in the NFL anymore. It was 10 years ago and only 1 team has won a superbowl with it and the Bills D doesn't resemble the Bucs of 02. The cover 2 is a predictable defense that doesn't work in the AFC East. Its like playing chess when you're opponent knows all of your moves. Not even the Colts and Bucs, the 2 teams that have played it best, play it anymore. Let's bring more pressure, and play more man. Also, can Nic Harris get on the field?? If Mitchell and Buggs are gone, then lets move Ellison to MLB, Harris to strong side LB and sign D. Brooks to share WLB with Palmer. With a small style change, this defense could be real good.

Personnel: If the Bills can get value in trading TO or Parrish then they should do so immediately. Trading overpaid players like Kelsay, Schobel, Evans or Whitner will only result in cap penalties that will handcuff the franchise. I still say Edwards and the entire team need the year to give the next front office a fair evaluation of what is there.

Future: Mr. Wilson hopefully will hire a competent football person, to run football operations. Guys like Holmgren, Shanahan or B. Polian's son come to mind. Hopefully, after evaluating current personnel they will conclude that with a few key FA signings and a solid draft that the Bills can be competitive immediately. A smooth transition to west coast offense and a pressure 4-3 D could do it. A total overhaul would be painful after everything both the Bills and fans have invested in these players.

As for Jauron, let him finish the year. He's a good guy, but he's not getting it done. And Bobby April is not the answer, he's not really handling Special Teams all that well at this point. Its easy to blame it all on Jauron, but the Bills have been failing to be a good team for a long time before he got here.