Take it easy on the defense

Justice

Many of you are slamming the Defense today. Don't. They really are a talented group. Charlie Weiss just has our number. Ever play Madden? Well if you do you know that if you call the wrong defense on any given play the offense will make you pay. Jerry Gray isn't good enough for Weiss yet.

Take a look at an offense that couldn't generate yardage. That often comes back to bite a defense in the ass.

A team like the Patriots can win rather easily when:

1. They are able to shut down the opposing offense and

2. Let Corey Dillon run the ball 26 times getting good yardage.

Typical Belichek game.

Add in 3. that Lady Liberty in Foxboro is akin to going to a Haunted House.

This thread is stevestojan. The defense sucked badly last night. We can't defend them. We hammer the offense and Drew when they play badly and then apologize for the defense because it was the Patriots? Bull - stevestojan!!! The defense sucked last night and they need to get better. It was like a post I read earlier. We have padded our stats against poor offenses. Our defense, although talented, is overrated....

Many of you are slamming the Defense today. Don't. They really are a talented group. Charlie Weiss just has our number. Ever play Madden? Well if you do you know that if you call the wrong defense on any given play the offense will make you pay. Jerry Gray isn't good enough for Weiss yet.

Dude... this defense is seriously flawed, and we as bills fans, need to admit this. We beat a very poor and demoralized Dolphins team at home. Then we beat two teams, one in the same boat as us and one that was ripe for the picking. Both of those games were in the wind swept ralph... and the defense had a huge advantage because of that... they didn't really have to defend or honor the pass. The Bills are above average in the middle, but are going to need serious help after this year... Sam Adams will not cut it without a near dominant tackle playing beside him. The linebacking corps, except for Posey is solid... we need a LB that can run and hit... Posey is only in there because we don't have bonafide DEs. The DEs are below average... I don't care what schobels sack numbers are... there are 32 left tackles in the NFL including Jonas Jennings, and I guarantee you none of them fear Schobel... and probably schobel doesn't command even minimal attention on an opponents scouting/game planning for the bills... unless their plan is to abuse him (like last night). Denney and Kelsay are career journeymen. The secondary is ashambles... Milloy is the only player above average. The only consistency Vincent has shown is that he is consistenly injured. Even when he played he wasn't a factor. Clements is an average corner with return skills... he is not allpro or "lock down" material. Reese just flat out sucks... career backup material, and McGee... I don't know just yet because he's young and kind of just been thrown in there... and ain't doing the job. So, we've got serious issues on the defensive side of the ball... and I don't even want to get into the offensive side... the thing that pisses me off is that Teflon Tom has had 4 years to turn this around and we're still rebuilding... it must be a phase one of a twelve year plan.

Wha??? The defense blew goats last night. No pressure on Brady, secondary sucked out loud, linebackers running around letting players break through their wimpy arm tackles, the defense really schit the bed last night.

117734[/snapback]

That's pretty much how I saw it, but I'd add their inability to turn outside running plays back inside hurt us too.

This thread is stevestojan. The defense sucked badly last night. We can't defend them. We hammer the offense and Drew when they play badly and then apologize for the defense because it was the Patriots? Bull - stevestojan!!! The defense sucked last night and they need to get better. It was like a post I read earlier. We have padded our stats against poor offenses. Our defense, although talented, is overrated....

117727[/snapback]

Agreed - precisely why I advocated making DE a priority in the offseason. You know your offense is more than one or two players away when you fail to score a TD in 7 out of 16 games. So why not try to get a dominating defense? That was our only chance to win this year. Obviously, you cannot be dominant when 4 out of 11 starters suck.

117649[/snapback]

Take it easy on the Defense?! :blink: Are you fuggin' crazy? If we can slam the Offense for putrid play we sure as hell should slam the Defense for playing just as bad! We couldn't even stop Kevin Faulk when he came in after Dillon was shaken up!

This is for you Defense! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Hell, I'll throw one in for the Offense too. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

One more for the coaching. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

And one last one for the whole team for embarrassing themselves on national TV once again. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

117649[/snapback]

I don't think the defense's poor play last night had anything to do with Charlie Weis having our number. We basically shut down Corey Dillon last time we played. There was no good excuse for Dillon and even Faulk to run the ball down our throats all night. Plain and simple: the Pats offensive line just pushed us around yesterday. They were more physical and they beat us up front all night.

I still think we have an excellent defense--but last night they layed an egg.

Guest BillRebound

The defense gave up 6 points in the 1st 20 minutes. New England has an excellent offense. Our offense had to do something early on. You can only expect to hold an offense like that down so long in that type of environment (Sunday night game on the road). As bad as they were, the defense kept us in the game as long as could be reasonably expected. The offense is another story. They stink. It all started with what appeared to be a harmless drop of a 5 yard pass by Neufeld/Euhus? That put as at 3rd and 8 and stopped our 1st drive at the 35 yard line. We needed points early in the worst way. New England sold out to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and Drew and the passing game could do nothing. Drew wasn't patient enough to take the 5 yard passes and march down the field as illustrated by his throw it up for grabs pass to Moulds on the 2nd or 3rd series.

The defense gave up 6 points in the 1st 20 minutes.  New England has an excellent offense.  Our offense had to do something early on.  You can only expect to hold an offense like that down so long in that type of environment (Sunday night game on the road).  As bad as they were, the defense kept us in the game as long as could be reasonably expected.  The offense is another story.  They stink.  It all started with what appeared to be a harmless drop of a 5 yard pass by Neufeld/Euhus? That put as at 3rd and 8 and stopped our 1st drive at the 35 yard line.  We needed points early in the worst way.  New England sold out to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and Drew and the passing game could do nothing.  Drew wasn't patient enough to take the 5 yard passes and march down the field as illustrated by his throw it up for grabs pass to Moulds on the 2nd or 3rd series.

117967[/snapback]

New Englands first 3 or 4 drives were all for over 70 yards. Hardly a steller performance for the defense. I don't think they punted until the second half.

Sorry but the defense sucked last night. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Players that had a solid outing: Sam Adams.

Players that got their ass handed to them and gave up: everybody else. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Go ahead and make excuses for some of these guys. Claiming Takeo, London, or Schobel had a good game is to ignore reality. Those guys made a play here and there while spending most of the game on their backs. They got steamrolled and Dillon destroyed them. The Patriots ran right at the those guys all game long and it was easy.

The Bills secondary is putrid. Even the "great" Lawyer Milloy. That guy can't run anymore and is woeful in coverage. Talk is cheap when you can't get it done anymore. So why not shut up? Just like Bledsoe, he's but a shadow of what he was as an All-Pro Patriot.

USMC is completely right. Our defense laid down last night and laid down bad!! They were terrible. Brady just has our defenses' number and the only way we will ever beat the Pats is to outscore them. And the likelihood of that is laughable! Our defense cannot stop Brady. We can't stop Dillon or there bunch of receivers. No Pro Bowlers just a bunch of middle round picks. Their best receiver is a 7th round pick. We play 10 yards off the receivers in an offense that consists of WR screens and 5-10 yard outs. That is it!

Hmmmm....the defense sucked but yet they were on the field for 2/3 of the game. I don't know perhaps there is a positive correlation here. They get tired folks. It wasn't the D's fault. It should have 28-0 in the first half simply b/c of the folly of the offense. Don't blame the D, they held them as long as they could.

They were on the field so much b/c they could not stop them!!!! 5 drives of 50 yards or longer!! Great defenses get off the field. Buffalo's is not! It is good most of the year but terrible against the Pats. Not a shutdown D by any means.

Guest BillsRebound

Who cares how many yards they had. The fact is that our offense had 4 chances with the game tied or down by less than a touchdown to put points on the board and stunk up the place. New England punted on their 2nd series and we had the ball at our own 42, down by a field goal. We also were only down by 6 and had them 3rd and 10 from their own 26 when Reese was right there in coverage on the 50 yard bomb but went after the ball like a little girl. New England put up 42 points on St. Louis at St. Louis. We were going to have to score points to win this game. Totally unrealistic to think otherwise. The defense held as long as they could.

Sorry - but there is no defending the D after that performance.

Players that piss me off on D.

#1 London Fletcher - I HATE him. he may be a leading tackler. he's also leading boneheaded play-maker.

#2 Izell Reese.

#3 Jeff Posey. Good only as a result of the stelaar play of Spikes and (dammt) Fletcher