Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett

zow2

I disagree with your logic. If a guy has good physical traits but bad decision-making, he's neither low risk nor high reward. Not even if he throws a beautiful long bomb. We just finished sending exactly that same kind of QB to the UFL. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

I agree with EA completely - I certainly wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

This guy has about a 3.5 chance in 100 to make it in the NFL.

There isn't any QB in college that I am overly impressed with or would want to waste a first round draft pick on. Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow won't be franchise QBs, so you can forget about that. Colt McCoy too. I thought Jevon Snead looked fairly decent down at Ole Miss but he has had a miserable season thus far and so I can't even say I'd care to draft him at this point. I just don't see anything in the NCAA at this point that I feel would be a better option than Trent Edwards. We would be so much better off to continue focusing on building a competitive line on both sides of the ball with our top draft picks over the next few years, but that is just my opinion.

He had some really nice plays yesterday against Auburn, but he had some stinkers too. He's got a couple more years to get his mechanics down (no easy feat for someone his size) before you need to worry about his pro abilities.

For those of you who've spouted off how he sucks...please give me a break.

There isn't any QB in college that I am overly impressed with or would want to waste a first round draft pick on. Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow won't be franchise QBs, so you can forget about that. Colt McCoy too. I thought Jevon Snead looked fairly decent down at Ole Miss but he has had a miserable season thus far and so I can't even say I'd care to draft him at this point. I just don't see anything in the NCAA at this point that I feel would be a better option than Trent Edwards. We would be so much better off to continue focusing on building a competitive line on both sides of the ball with our top draft picks over the next few years, but that is just my opinion.

I think that Tebow will be a franchise QB. He has the most important trait for a QB and what is sorely missing from this team - Leadership!

If you think Mallett is better than Jones was at Arkansas, you don't watch enough football.

I guess I need to watch more football then. Jones was a better athlete than Mallet, no question, but I live in Arkansas and saw roughly 2/3rds of the games Matt Jones played in college. One thing he was not was a good passing QB. Mallett is quite clearly superior as a passer, as far as I'm concerned, which makes him far better in this type of offense. The only complaint I have so far is that he's not consistently accurate, but that's something that can probably be corrected. Given that this is just his 5th game at Arkansas, and only the 2nd year of a completely different offensive scheme, I think he's played extremely well. He's easily their best QB since the days of Clint Stoerner, in my mind, though Mallett is much more talented.

Is he an NFL QB? Not yet, but he still has two and a half seasons of eligibility remaining. Lets see where he is at that point.

Mallet could be a good QB, but he could also be a by product of the Petrino system, whom also produced Redman and Brohm. I watched the game yesterday and was impressed by the kid's poise, decision making, and arm strength though. He and Clausen will be the top 2 QB prospects in the 2011 draft, IMO.

um he went 22/30 against you guys today...but yeah Syracuse isn't much anymore.

If you think Mallett is better than Jones was at Arkansas, you don't watch enough football.

I'll stay above the fray and your ridiculousness, but watch in 5 years. Jones was a good QB-no doubut. Mallett is an NFL QB.

I think my main point in this thread is that Mallett has that look of an NFL QB but doesn't get the pub. Kinda' reminds me of a Matt Schaub when he played at Virginia. No one ever thought he's be a successful starting NFL QB. He was kind of a big, slow footed guy....yet he has his share of 300 yd games now. More than you can say for our guy here in Buffalo!