Arthur Guinness...a man of vision & great taste!!!

Beerball

while in Dublin last summer, made sure to make a stop at the Guiness factory, where they actually have a copy of the lease he signed. it's pretty astounding. the Guiness complex takes up some 10 city blocks on the west city of town.

tour's not bad, but you get a free pint of Guiness at the end, which is always a good thing.

what i noted is that Guiness was far lighter (by that, I mean less thick) and easier to go down in Ireland as opposed to the last time i drank it some 15 years ago. actually enjoyed it and have noted that it tastes better over here on this side of the pond since last time i drank it.

even so, there's nothing like having a pint or 7 in Dublin. ... like wings in Buffalo, something about the hometown.

jw

while in Dublin last summer, made sure to make a stop at the Guiness factory, where they actually have a copy of the lease he signed. it's pretty astounding. the Guiness complex takes up some 10 city blocks on the west city of town.

tour's not bad, but you get a free pint of Guiness at the end, which is always a good thing.

what i noted is that Guiness was far lighter (by that, I mean less thick) and easier to go down in Ireland as opposed to the last time i drank it some 15 years ago. actually enjoyed it and have noted that it tastes better over here on this side of the pond since last time i drank it.

even so, there's nothing like having a pint or 7 in Dublin. ... like wings in Buffalo, something about the hometown.

jw

I was not a Guinness drinker at all until I went to Dublin.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2585111580044479105NbzWJD

While it is not as good here, I did acquire a taste for it. I do remember hearing that they have a quality inspection team in Ireland that goes to EVERY pub once a month to make sure the lines are clean and the temperature is right. I was surprised that they kept it as cold as they do.

While it is not as good here, I did acquire a taste for it. I do remember hearing that they have a quality inspection team in Ireland that goes to EVERY pub once a month to make sure the lines are clean and the temperature is right. I was surprised that they kept it as cold as they do.

Was just there in August, and my wifes company had the their opening night party at the Guinness Brewery. Had the whole place to ourselves for 4 hrs, as many pints as you wanted, and they even were teaching you how to pour a "proper" pint. Must say was not a Guinness fan when I arrived in Dublin, but couldn't get enough of the stuff 7 days later.

i agree, and also with plenz. my wife and i weren't big Guinness fans prior to arriving in Ireland, but certainly acquired a taste for the stuff there. went down surprisingly smooth, and the temperature of the beer was certainly a plus.

the trouble, i think, over on this side of the pond is that not enough people drink Guinness, which means the kegs sit there longer, and the lines aren't cleaned as often.

as strange as this might sound, the closest i've come to having a Guinness here taste like the one over there since our trip in July was their canned product. ...

jw