Marv = Mr. Magoo

It is not surprising at all that DJ continues to get Marv's support, and not surprising to hear Marv say that DJ was clearly the best choice of the bunch - because DJ was the candidate most like Marv. Marv wanted another Marv - a conservative and cerebral man of fine character. Yes, Marv was looking for another Marv, and found it in DJ.

Unfortunately, unlike Marv, the "Mr. Magoo" of the NFL, DJ was not surrounded by mountains of talent, nor an exceptional front office that knows how to make the right moves at the right times. So instead of wandering his way into wins, DJ keeps us stuck in a sea of mediocrity. Yet Marv attempts, even now, to use his waning influence to support DJ. Isn't that just great.

Marv had plenty of chances to wow us with his knowledge and know-how - 4 chances on the big stage as a coach, and later as a personnel/organization man with, most likely, something close to full control of the wheel (as close as it was going to get following Donahoe). Marv used that power to bring us DJ, horrible free agent acquisitions (Dockery, Royal, Reyes, and on and on), questionable draft picks and an organization that was not sufficiently prepared, restructured, or groomed to succeed him when he left. I can't recall any changes that Marv made to any of the key positions in our front office. It is not evident to me that Marv made any preparations within the organization to ready for his departure - it seems it was all about filling a hole for a few years (a favor to an old friend) then leaving without a trace. Not exactly the legacy of a football genius. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

The absence of any recent "glory days" for this franchise drives many to continue to worship at Marv's feet. So be it. But for all those who think Marv built or facilitated the careers of Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed, I say that it was really the opposite that took place. When you look OBJECTIVELY at what Marv has wrought since his association ended with those players (and Bill Polian making the personnel decisions), the results are clear. Marv's credibility to speak on any topic related to the success of the Bills is nil. Neither the Bills organization nor their roster is currently staffed for another "Mr. Magoo" type coach to have success. When Marv voices support for DJ he is incorrectly analyzing the situation, based on the Magoo paradigm. What is really needed is a major restructuring. Ralph needs to clear the way for another Polian to take charge - but this time he can't luck into it since there is no Polian among the current FO underlings - Ralph needs to go out and buy himself one from another organization.

This is not about trashing a legend - I don't begrudge Marv his gold jacket (even though I think he gets way too much credit). It's about looking past the Marv myth that has had this franchise stuck in the mud for a decade. The Jets have Rex Ryan, he of the (former) long hair and big mouth. Do you think Marv would have hired him? Never - instead we get a guy who you'd love to be your neighbor but who you want far from your team's sideline on gameday. But who's in first place and who's in last? Please Marv, spare us your thoughts in support of Dick. It's time to move on and embrace reality.

It is not surprising at all that DJ continues to get Marv's support, and not surprising to hear Marv say that DJ was clearly the best choice of the bunch - because DJ was the candidate most like Marv. Marv wanted another Marv - a conservative and cerebral man of fine character. Yes, Marv was looking for another Marv, and found it in DJ.

Unfortunately, unlike Marv, the "Mr. Magoo" of the NFL, DJ was not surrounded by mountains of talent, nor an exceptional front office that knows how to make the right moves at the right times. So instead of wandering his way into wins, DJ keeps us stuck in a sea of mediocrity. Yet Marv attempts, even now, to use his waning influence to support DJ. Isn't that just great.

Marv had plenty of chances to wow us with his knowledge and know-how - 4 chances on the big stage as a coach, and later as a personnel/organization man with, most likely, something close to full control of the wheel (as close as it was going to get following Donahoe). Marv used that power to bring us DJ, horrible free agent acquisitions (Dockery, Royal, Reyes, and on and on), and an organization that was not sufficiently prepared, restructured, or groomed to succeed him when he left. I can't recall any changes that Marv made to any of the key positions in our front office. It is not evident to me that Marv made any preparations within the organization to ready for his departure - it seems it was all about filling a hole for a few years (a favor to an old friend) then leaving without a trace. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

The absence of any recent "glory days" for this franchise drives many to continue to worship at Marv's feet. So be it. But for all those who think Marv built or facilitated the careers of Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed, I say that it was really the opposite that took place. When you look OBJECTIVELY at what Marv has wrought since his association ended with those players (and Bill Polian making the personnel decisions), the results are clear. Marv's credibility to speak on any topic related to the success of the Bills is nil. The Bills organization is not currently staffed for another "Mr. Magoo" type coach to have success. When Marv voices support for DJ he is incorrectly analyzing the situation, based on the Magoo paradigm. What is really needed is a major restructuring. Ralph needs to clear the way for another Polian to take charge - but this time he can't luck into it since there is no Polian among the current FO underlings - Ralph needs to go out and buy himself one from another organization.

This is not about trashing a legend - I don't begrudge Marv his gold jacket (even though I think he gets way too much credit). It's about looking past the Marv myth that has had this franchise stuck in the mud for a decade. The Jets have Rex Ryan, he of the (former) long hair and big mouth. Do you think Marv would have hired him? Never - instead we get a guy who you'd love to be your neighbor but who you want far from your team's sideline on gameday. But who's in first place and who's in last? Please Marv, spare us your thoughts in support of Dick. It's time to move on and embrace reality.

Yep...Bout sums it up perfect...

Please Marv...You left us with this...Now leave us without your 2 cents...This scrambling, ass covering and kissing concerning Jauron is just about rediculous...Not to mention shameless...It makes me want to puke... :wallbash:

Yep...Bout sums it up perfect...

Please Marv...You left us with this...Now leave us without your 2 cents...This scrambling, ass covering and kissing concerning Jauron is just about rediculous...Not to mention shameless...It makes me want to puke... :wallbash:

No, please do leave your 2-cents, Marv - you've already wasted a small fortune of Ralph's money, and left us with nothing but this bunch of perennial losers, so please leave $$everything$$ you've got.

Then, just go away.

Marv had plenty of chances to wow us with his knowledge and know-how - 4 chances on the big stage as a coach, and later as a personnel/organization man with, most likely, something close to full control of the wheel (as close as it was going to get following Donahoe). Marv used that power to bring us DJ, horrible free agent acquisitions (Dockery, Royal, Reyes, and on and on), questionable draft picks and an organization that was not sufficiently prepared, restructured, or groomed to succeed him when he left. I can't recall any changes that Marv made to any of the key positions in our front office. It is not evident to me that Marv made any preparations within the organization to ready for his departure - it seems it was all about filling a hole for a few years (a favor to an old friend) then leaving without a trace. Not exactly the legacy of a football genius. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

The absence of any recent "glory days" for this franchise drives many to continue to worship at Marv's feet. So be it. But for all those who think Marv built or facilitated the careers of Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed, I say that it was really the opposite that took place. When you look OBJECTIVELY at what Marv has wrought since his association ended with those players (and Bill Polian making the personnel decisions), the results are clear. Marv's credibility to speak on any topic related to the success of the Bills is nil. Neither the Bills organization nor their roster is currently staffed for another "Mr. Magoo" type coach to have success. When Marv voices support for DJ he is incorrectly analyzing the situation, based on the Magoo paradigm. What is really needed is a major restructuring. Ralph needs to clear the way for another Polian to take charge - but this time he can't luck into it since there is no Polian among the current FO underlings - Ralph needs to go out and buy himself one from another organization.

Bravo! :wallbash: