DEAR ABBY

Beerball

Real people aren't that stupid are they?

I e-mailed "Tom" -- a friend I had a crush on -- some topless pictures of myself. Tom rejected me because he is happily married. I am married, too, and when my husband, "Jake," discovered the pictures on our computer and realized what I had done, we discussed it and agreed to put them aside and never talk about them again.

And before you ask...this was on the front page of Google news and for some reason the word topless caught my eye.

that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Beerball, I never knew your first name was Tom. Every day you learn something new about the posters here. Today I learned two. We have a guy named Tom and an aledged women beater .

Tom? I thought he was Jake.

Beerball, I never knew your first name was Tom. Every day you learn something new about the posters here. Today I learned two. We have a guy named Tom and an aledged women beater .

!@#$ you

Tom? I thought he was Jake.

!@#$ you too

I love how people use the word "mistake" these days. The word "mistake" begs for easy forgiveness. You drop a glass. Mistake. Forget to check the oil. Big mistake. Don't zip your fly. Mistake. Forgot your wife's birthday. Huge mistake.

Take a bunch of nude photos and send them to an old crush? Sorry, not a mistake. More like a selfish and awful thing to do to your husband.

Vick used "mistake" to cover for his multi-year reign as sick and twisted dog-torturer. Just noting this amusing take on the word.

I love how people use the word "mistake" these days. The word "mistake" begs for easy forgiveness. You drop a glass. Mistake. Forget to check the oil. Big mistake. Don't zip your fly. Mistake. Forgot your wife's birthday. Huge mistake.

Take a bunch of nude photos and send them to an old crush? Sorry, not a mistake. More like a selfish and awful thing to do to your husband.

Vick used "mistake" to cover for his multi-year reign as sick and twisted dog-torturer. Just noting this amusing take on the word.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about that. :P

It's like people who say "I'm sorry" when you know full well that if they hadn't been caught they never would have brought it up and apologized.

Vick's not sorry about being involved in dog fighting. He's sorry he got caught. He's sorry he lost a bunch of sponsorships. He's sorry he has to do some damn work for the SPCA so he'll look like he's really changed.

and yet forgiveness is an overlooked word today, too. in this quick slick age of immediacy, when people fail to think before they act to scratch that itch, and can't take it back ...

selfishness and mistakes have been part of the equation since the day we achieved self-awareness, so i'm not sure what has exactly changed, except for technology and self-help columns. i'm being a bit of a contrarian here, J.A., so don't take offense.

but doesn't all of this go back to, and i'm paraphrasing here, "ye, who is without sin ..." bit? i prefer not to cast that stone. naive? perhaps. but why take all the fun out of st. pete's job guarding that gate, eh?

j (in a reflective, philosophical mood) w.

Great post! 'Mistake' and 'Opinion'. Webster fails us, not having synonyms with more specific meaning.

It's my opinion, your apology for your mistake is insincere..

I get a kick out of political "apologies" that go along the line of "mistakes were made"...Kind of lets everyone off the hook.

I get a kick out of political "apologies" that go along the line of "mistakes were made"...Kind of lets everyone off the hook.

"mistakes were made" mixes my favorite 2 ways of distancing yourself from the action. First call the awwful thing that you willfully did a mistake. Then use the passive voice so there's no clear actor who made the mistake.