Losman starts his new season this Thursday

Got_Wood

I almost forgot...you make it seem as if I'm saying that Losman is god, but my post was referring to everyone on here saying that J.P Losman can't even be an NFL backup. Kordell Stewart did have only one good season, and yet he still played in the league for ten years. People hate on J.P just because he didn't turn out to be a franchise QB, but saying that he can't even be a backup is just ignorant.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kordell Stewart also had a good season. Losman's good year came because the team radically simplified the offense, and relied on a lot of long bombs to Evans. Which worked well for a while. But teams learned that when you play Losman, you double cover Evans to take away the long bomb, and you dare him to beat you with the underneath stuff. When a defense does that, Losman will still make a play here and there. But, over the course of the game, the offense will fizzle and be unproductive.

As far as Edwards being "handled differently"--Losman was allowed to stay on the bench for his entire rookie year. (With the exception of just three plays.) Edwards got thrown into the fire his rookie year.

During Losman's first year as a starter, he got pulled in and out of the starting lineup. Ditto for Edwards in his first year as starter. How, specifically, do you feel the coaching staff has treated the two quarterbacks differently?

Allowed to stay on the bench his rookie year? He had a BROKEN LEG!!!!!!!!!! :P

Edwards was never benched due to poor performance, as was Losman during the '05 season. I may be wrong, but Edwards was injured/inactive for the games that he didn't start during the '07 season...except for maybe the Jacksonville game. The Edwards was thrown into the fire arguement really doesn't apply here either. I believe being given a vote of confidence by your Head Coach is more so a positive than a negative. Also, J.P was injured during most of training camp and the beginning of the season, and Drew Bledose was the starting QB. I'm not a Losman homer, but sending J.P Losman to the bench like Trent did is a lot easier than sending Drew Bledose to the bench.

I feel Edwards should start this whole season, just like J.P did his third season. However, if Edwards were to be handled the same way J.P was, Edwards would have had to been benched for at least a couple of games in his career due to poor peformance.

My memory about the '07 season is a little vague. But as best I recall, the QB situation that year was a little like a game of musical chairs. The year began with Losman as the starter. Then he got hurt, and Edwards took his starting spot. Edwards played a while, got hurt. While Edwards was injured, Losman took his starting spot. Then Losman got hurt or was benched or something, allowing Edwards to take his starting spot. That year is a little hard to straighten out, because the coaches were often non-committal about who the starter actually was, or whether a particular QB was being held out due to injury or for performance reasons, etc.

You could, perhaps, make the argument that losing one's starting spot due to injury + the replacement playing well is less potentially damaging to a player's confidence than losing one's starting spot due to an outright benching of a healthy player. But in 2007, there were enough injuries--to both Edwards and Losman--that benching a healthy, starting QB would have been something of a challenge.

I'd also argue that the coaching staff was in an awkward situation in 2005. While Losman did well against Houston, his next three games were abysmal. Yes, sending him to the bench might have affected his confidence. But going out there and having still more abysmal performances could affect it also. Maybe it was felt that he needed a chance to take a step back, spend a few weeks becoming better-prepared, and then go back out there after he'd improved. That's sort of what ended up happening. His second stint at QB in 2005 proved more successful than his first. It still wasn't particularly good play, but at least it was better play than we'd seen from him before.

Gordio, it's like that line from Charlie Wilson's War - "Mr. Wilson always says, 'You can teach 'em to type, but you can't teach 'em to grow breasts!' "

I think you & FLbillsfan#1 have both nailed it - JP had no brains, Trent has no balls.

JMO, but I think the 'brains' part can be taught - put JP together with a coach like Coughlin (or like, oh, say...Mike Leach) for a year or two, and he can be taught better mechanics, to read defenses more effectively, and to make better decisions. Give him an offensive game plan that makes sense, and a set of WRs like Evans and Owens, and - with his arm - the guy will kill opposing defenses.

But how do you teach a guy to have 'heart'? How do you say, "OK, on this next play, you grow a pair of balls!"???

I never liked Edwards, and made no secret of it. Always thought he was a wuss. If you're gonna draft a Stanford QB, it better be the overall #1 pick of the draft - like Plunkett, or Elway.

I think JP will come back to the NFL and surprise a lot of folks. Again, JMO.

hope you are right-i like the kid...but i doubt it. i just dont see the football instincts with JP. i think football iq is way different than regular iq. One word...Danmarino. Another word ..Jimkelly.Another word ..Joemontana. None of those guys took advanced math in high school --but all had football smarts.