Speaking of Brit Coms, someone help me with this show....

The Poojer

it was on about the same time as Benny Hill, Python, Rise and fall of Reginald Perrin(i think). it was a british comedian, sat on a stool smoked cigarettes, pretty sure he had at least one finger missing....anyone remember this show? the name dave thomas is stuck in my head.....i am googling as we speak but i am drawing a blank...it was a PBS show during the late 70's

he used to joke that his missing finger was due to his constantly stirring the whisky with his finger and it ate it away.....

His skits with the Pope being a mafia hoodlum were great. Even today the quality of his show stacks up well with anything out there, but did he ever get through a lot if whisky when he was telling those jokes.

got it, it was Dave Allen....

Dave Allan at large, iirc...

used to sit on a chair drinking scotch, smoking a cigarette, and tell jokes...

here's one I remember:

An Irishman on a deserted island discovers a lantern on the beach, upon rubbing the lantern, a Genie appears and grants the man 3 wishes.

Genie - What is you first wish?

Irishman - Well I haven't had anything to drink in days and I am thirsty, I could really use a beer

And just like that he is holding a frosted mug full of beer. He chugs the beer and to his amazement the mug fills right back up.

Irishman - how did that happen?

Genie - It's a magic mug, it will refill itself when you finish it.

Genie - Now, what would you like for your other 2 wishes?

Irishman - I'll take 2 more of these....