Car Question

The Avenger

Ok - automotive question for the folks who know cars.

I have an old Subaru Outback - runs great, 150K+ miles.

Check engine light went on about a month ago so I brought it into the shop. They hooked it up and read the error code - a misfire on one of the cylinders and told me I needed a tune up. I was way overdue for a tune up, so it all made sense.

So yesterday, 3 weeks after getting a tune up I'm sitting at a stop light and the car starts to run rough for a few seconds as I'm idling at the light - then the check engine light comes back on and before I know it, she's back to a smooth idle. I'd bet my house I had another misfire and that's what caused the light to come back on.

Is it another misfire? If it was, why did it happen on a newly tuned up car? What should I check or do about it?

Check engine light went on about a month ago so I brought it into the shop. They hooked it up and read the error code - a misfire on one of the cylinders and told me I needed a tune up. I was way overdue for a tune up, so it all made sense.

So yesterday, 3 weeks after getting a tune up I'm sitting at a stop light and the car starts to run rough for a few seconds as I'm idling at the light - then the check engine light comes back on and before I know it, she's back to a smooth idle. I'd bet my house I had another misfire and that's what caused the light to come back on.

Is it another misfire? If it was, why did it happen on a newly tuned up car? What should I check or do about it?

Take it back to the shop and let them worry about it. It's called a comeback.

Here's some chit-chat about the Idle Control Valve (ICV). According to these folks, a malfunction (evidently carbon and crud build-up) will cause an idle speed drop, and generate an engine misfire code.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...?threadid=14747

Here's some chit-chat about the Idle Control Valve (ICV). According to these folks, a malfunction (evidently carbon and crud build-up) will cause an idle speed drop, and generate an engine misfire code.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...?threadid=14747

That is what I was thinking! Since he said it happened at a light. I had a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo (which I believe is part of Subaru?? Or do they just make parts for Isuzu)... I changed the ICV if I recall and it was really jazzed up with gunk... It wasn't really the problem... But helped to change it.

Avenger... Is it throttle-body fuel injection? Did they do the throttle body service and clean the plenon?