Hey all you Jason Peters haters

No, YOU look it up.

Peters joined the Bills in 2004, signed a new contract before the 2006 season and held out in 2008. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU CALL "The FIRST thing Peters did" then you have one piss-poor understanding of the English language.

And if I didn't have any idea what Peters asked for or was willing to accept, then I would be the only one in the world, except you, of course. Everyone knows this. The fact that you don't even know that Peters agent made his offers public shows clearly you aren't worth talking with. Brandon's offers were not public. Peters on the other hand announced his offers from the rooftops, and if you don't know them, it's just because you are too lazy to do research.

We are still waiting Thurman for a link that shows what Peters was willing to accept before he was traded to the Eagles.

Link??????????

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The analogy is poorly drawn. People are given extra duties when others leave or are fired all the time. To suggest that typical employees are going to walk out on a job (especially one that was paying as well as Peters's) in such a situation suggests a disconnect from reality.

There are few lines of work (paying that much) where such an employee could shop their services to the highest bidder--especially when there is legitmate debate over whether this employee is even very good at what he does and has a questionable reputation and work ethic.

Good luck with that job hunt!

Just silly.

Silly? You mean your response? Yup. The analogy holds up perfectly.

Of course people are given extra responsibilities all the time. The understanding being that the situation will be righted when possible, or you'll get the extra money when you prove capable of doing the job. If that doesn't happen, companies are very aware that the employee who went from secretary to handling the responsibilities of a sales manager will, if still paid as a secretary for very long, go somewhere and get a much higher paid job as a sales manager.

I suppose that there are jobs out there where you can't shop your services to the highest bidder because absolutely anyone can fill the job if they have basic human capacity. Burger flipper. Dishwasher. But beyond that basic level, most jobs have variations in salary. And while you don't shop yourself by waiting as you do in football, you do shop yourself. I find it hard to believe that you don't know this. It's a staple of our economy.

If your boss gives you not just more responsibility but all of the responsibilities of a job that pays three times as much, yet he doesn't pay you extra, you stay long enough to prove you can do the job and then go elsewhere to get the kind of salary that goes with the new job. The exact same thing happened to me once, and that is in fact what I did. I didn't need "good luck with that job hunt." It was a piece of cake.

You say that you will have a problem "especially when there is legitmate debate over whether this employee is even very good at what he does and has a questionable reputation and work ethic." Well, yes, I agree, but Jason Peters doesn't qualify as having that kind of reputation problem. Which is why he got $10 mill plus in a couple of hours of negotiation. The only place where people have doubts about the guy is on these boards. Peters has a sensational reputation all over the league. Everyone is aware that he won't stand for being underpaid, but guys with his talent will find a team that will pay market value. As happened.

Peters has a reputation as a guy who handles the responsibilities of being a left tackle extremely well. Yeah, he didn't handle the negotiations all that well. But when you are one of the two or three best people in the world at a very highly-valued and extremely unusual skill, it just isn't difficult to get people interested.

It just isn't.

Um, no. The Patriots have all the cap room in the world because in 2010, currently, there is no salary cap. They made a decision that Seymour wanted too much money and would be a problem (even though he's never pulled anything close to what Peters did), so they traded him. And it definitely hurt them in the short-term.

There is no 2010 salary cap AS OF NOW!!! However, there is every chance in the world that by the time the season starts there will indeed be a salary cap. And certainly down the road.

Yeah, it definitely hurt them in the short-term. But again, they didn't have the money to sign both guys.

There is no 2010 salary cap AS OF NOW!!! However, there is every chance in the world that by the time the season starts there will indeed be a salary cap. And certainly down the road.

Yeah, it definitely hurt them in the short-term. But again, they didn't have the money to sign both guys.

Link (apparently that's your convenient response for everything else for which you don't have an answer). Preferrably one that says how much the Patriots have allocated for the 2010 season, regardless of the league's cap situation.

The analogy is poorly drawn. People are given extra duties when others leave or are fired all the time. To suggest that typical employees are going to walk out on a job (especially one that was paying as well as Peters's) in such a situation suggests a disconnect from reality.

There are few lines of work (paying that much) where such an employee could shop their services to the highest bidder--especially when there is legitmate debate over whether this employee is even very good at what he does and has a questionable reputation and work ethic.

Good luck with that job hunt!

Just silly.

I don't mean to be a jerk but you blew up your own argument. There are few lines of work (paying that much) where such an employee could shop their services to the highest bidder... Yep football is one of them :censored: You have obviously not worked in a profession where these rules hold true. In many technical fields, like the computer industry, network engineers, software developers, this does hold true when the economy isn't complete crap.

I won't say you have a disconnect from reality but it is obvious that you have never been in an industry where there is a great demand for skill and a very limited supply of talent. How many people of the billions in the entire world are capable of filling approximately 1590 positions in the NFL? Hopefully that gives you some perspective on the RARE talent, durability and athleticism it takes to play in the NFL.

LINK, show us the link that shows what Peters was willing to accept prior to signing with the Eagles.

Wow. Gosh, you are so macho. I had no idea. Repeating yourself like that every hour or so while I slept and worked, I mean, gosh, it's so impressive. I bet you shave and oil your chest too and stare at yourself in the mirror too, don't you?

I live in Tokyo. That means while you are posting, I'm likely sleeping. And I don't have any interest in spending all day on the boards like some people. Just post something. If I want to respond, I will get back to you, but not within the hour unless you get very lucky.

If you absolutely need to leave one of the "Hello? Hello? Still waiting" type messages, at least wait 12 hours or so. Geez. Why do you think I answer so many messages in a row? Because I stay off most of the day when the board gets lots of traffic so there are lots of messages. And then while I'm posting everyone else is sleeping, so nobody breaks up my string of posts.

Get it? The "waiting, waiting" ploy may look very macho, but if I don't see any of them till you've posted the eighth, it's just stupid.

I'll go looking.

Link????????????

No Link Thurman? Why am I NOT surprised?

SOOO...what I get from this pissing match is that he can't provide a link AND NEITHER CAN YOU!?!?!!?!? Quit calling him out for what you can't supply your self. The fact of the matter is that NONE of us know what was said during contract negotiations between Peters, his agent and our front office who all for the most part kept it quite.

ONE FACT WE DO KNOW!!!! Peters DID sign a contract that DID NOT make him the highest paid LT in the league with Philly. It took them all of what a couple days to pay the guy his due when we had been putting him off for 2 years. Anyone alleging that he wouldn't sign with us for that contract is saying sour grapes and totally buying into our front offices ploy.

Given what eventually happened to our O-line I highly suspect it was our front offices plan all along to greatly reduce the amount of money they spent on our team and offensive line specifically. Perhaps to prepare for a potentially uncapped 2010. Why else have we not brought in any veteran talent, other than Carolina's back up center, to bolster our ranks of raw youth?

Well.....and Owens who Trent can't utilize

I don't understand what you are trying to say. He did NOT sign with the Bills, although it has been reported the Bills offered him the same money the Eagles paid him.

So, if I am going to go looking for links, what about you?

Prove it. You can't.

No you look it up. The FIRST thing Peters did was HOLD OUT then PLAY LIKE CRAP for a season. As I said before NOBODY KNOWS what went on behind closed doors. You have NO IDEA what Peters asked for or was willing to accept.

No idea what he asked for or was willing to accept? And you're quoting Charley Rich, but changing the context from sex to the Peters negotiations? Please.

OK. I'll find a few stories with "sources."

Right, here's one: March 13th: However, a source familiar with talks said Peters’ first offer was in excess of the $11.5 million-a-year deal signed by Miami’s Jake Long, who was the first pick in the draft last year. Long’s deal was for five years and $57.5 million.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/606369.html

Nobody knows. Except the Buffalo News, that is. It's a complete mystery to everyone.

Link (apparently that's your convenient response for everything else for which you don't have an answer). Preferrably one that says how much the Patriots have allocated for the 2010 season, regardless of the league's cap situation.

"Can the Patriots really afford to keep Seymour, Wilfork and Ty Warren?"

"Depending on the source, the Patriots are anywhere between $5 and 5.8 million under the cap for 2009. So they probably can’t afford to give Wilfork the raise he’s looking for in 2009. In reality, teams can find ways around the cap, and if the Pats want to extend Wilfork, they can find a way to do it. Adalius Thomas will cost the Patriots $13.2 million in cap money this season. You’d have to think they’d go to him first if they needed to find a player to restructure. James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather will each cost the team more than $3 million in cap dollars. Mike Wright will cost the team nearly $2.5 million. So there’s some wiggle room if the Patriots need it. The bottom line: Ty Warren is staying through 2013, and he’s counted as $10.5 million against the cap in 2009. Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork will be without contracts following this season. If I were to guess, I’d say there’s a zero percent chance both return, a 20 percent chance only Seymour returns (if Wilfork prices himself out), a 30 percent chance only Wilfork returns (if Seymour wants another payday), and a 50 percent chance neither return (if they both follow the dollars)."

http://thanksforplaying.weei.com/tag/vince-wilforks-wife/

Tough challenge there, Doc. Took me nearly three minutes.

To repeat the important bit from above: "...I’d say there’s a zero percent chance both return..."

Another example of not keeping your stars. The Tennessee Titans. Haynesworth wanted truck loads of money and maybe it WAS the right thing to do letting him do, but how does that team look now. That defense is a shadow of its former self without him. He was a DIFFERENCE maker.

Obviously, by the way, no team is going to tell you what they have allocated for the next year's cap situation. Demanding I ask for that is absolutely pathetic. But again, there may well be a cap in place before the year starts if negotiations go well. You would absolutely have to be sure that would not happen before spending wildly, or you'd be forced to cut salary just before the season, probably on guys you'd just paid large signing bonuses to.

However, the N.E. fans are well aware of the situation and they knew it was almost impossible that both guys would be back. So did BleacherReport for that matter:

"The Patriots no longer have to worry about which of their big three free agents (Seymour, Wilfork, and Logan Mankins) to re-sign this coming offseason."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/249397-...patriots-nation

"The move suggests that the Patriots realize they wouldn't have been able to keep Seymour and nose tackle Vince Wilfork beyond 2009, whose contracts expire after the coming season.

"And the decision to move Seymour could mean that the Pats are willing to pay Wilfork whatever he has requested in previous negotiations.

"But there's a chance Wilfork's price tag just went north, because now the Patriots have a more compelling reason to keep Wilfork."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...our-to-oakland/

Peter King talks about it here: He says pretty much exactly what I say, that they are not going to be able to keep both ... that it might be theoretically possible in an uncapped year but then you had better hope that nothing happens with the cap, because if a cap came in, they would then have huge personnel losses.

http://audio.weei.com/m/22022576/peter-kin...-nbc-sports.htm

And there's more.

No you look it up. The FIRST thing Peters did was HOLD OUT then PLAY LIKE CRAP for a season. As I said before NOBODY KNOWS what went on behind closed doors. You have NO IDEA what Peters asked for or was willing to accept.

Here is another from early in the process:

“Peters, who has two years left on his contract with Buffalo, had been seeking a long-term deal with the Bills that would average $11.5 million to $12 million a year, sources said. The Bills had been in talks with him since he returned last September from a holdout but had made such little progress that the club recently resolved to consider dealing him.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11642184

Now, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just go look? To just do a bit of research?

Another example of not keeping your stars. The Tennessee Titans. Haynesworth wanted truck loads of money and maybe it WAS the right thing to do letting him do, but how does that team look now. That defense is a shadow of its former self without him. He was a DIFFERENCE maker.

It's a good point, PDaDdy.

And it's worth remembering that over the last three years or so, the Pats* drafting hasn't been terrific. Overall, I think this might be a good deal for them, particularly because they were going to lose him anyway as they couldn't afford him. But other than maybe Mayo, they haven't been terrific lately. I'm definitely hoping they screw up that pick, and it's always possible.

I love the way the Pats* acquire extra picks, it's genius. But six or seven years ago, they were hitting on pick after pick. And they're not doing that so much anymore. I love it.

Here is another from early in the process:

“Peters, who has two years left on his contract with Buffalo, had been seeking a long-term deal with the Bills that would average $11.5 million to $12 million a year, sources said. The Bills had been in talks with him since he returned last September from a holdout but had made such little progress that the club recently resolved to consider dealing him.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11642184

Now, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just go look? To just do a bit of research?

NOTHING in that article states what Peters was willing to ACCEPT prior to being traded to the Eagles.

It certainly has NOT been reported (by anyone but fan posters throwing out wild guesses, that is) that the Bills made the same money the Eagles paid him. Simply not true.

A number of people have made this claim, and each time I have asked for a link, and each time nobody has produced anything. But maybe you are different.

LINK????????????