[closed]Drew Brees

Kevin

Bills wanted Brees

By Chris Brown - Posted October 5th, 2009

According to SI.com’s Peter King in a conversation he had with current Saints defensive coordinator and former Bills head coach Gregg Williams, the Bills wanted Drew Brees way back in the 2001 draft.

In his MMQB column he outlines a conversation he had with Williams. Naturally they were talking about Brees and Williams brought up Buffalo’s draft plans in 2001. As Williams tells it the Bills wanted Nate Clements in round 1 and obviously got him even though they traded down to pick 21 (from 14).

In round 2 holding the 46th pick the Bills wanted to move up so they could take Drew Brees as their quarterback, but there were no takers and San Diego grabbed Brees at the top of the 2nd round with the 32nd pick.

“I almost pulled a hamstring in the draft room, jumping up and down because I was so mad,” Williams told King.

As King astutely points out, can you imagine how that would have changed Buffalo’s fortunes at the position? The following year they likely would not have traded for Drew Bledsoe. And as Williams told King.

“I’ll tell you this: I wouldn’t be sitting here in New Orleans right now.”

Bills wanted Brees

By Chris Brown - Posted October 5th, 2009

According to SI.com’s Peter King in a conversation he had with current Saints defensive coordinator and former Bills head coach Gregg Williams, the Bills wanted Drew Brees way back in the 2001 draft.

In his MMQB column he outlines a conversation he had with Williams. Naturally they were talking about Brees and Williams brought up Buffalo’s draft plans in 2001. As Williams tells it the Bills wanted Nate Clements in round 1 and obviously got him even though they traded down to pick 21 (from 14).

In round 2 holding the 46th pick the Bills wanted to move up so they could take Drew Brees as their quarterback, but there were no takers and San Diego grabbed Brees at the top of the 2nd round with the 32nd pick.

“I almost pulled a hamstring in the draft room, jumping up and down because I was so mad,” Williams told King.

As King astutely points out, can you imagine how that would have changed Buffalo’s fortunes at the position? The following year they likely would not have traded for Drew Bledsoe. And as Williams told King.

“I’ll tell you this: I wouldn’t be sitting here in New Orleans right now.”

Link to one of the discussions on this topic from a while back. should have, could have, would have, we didn't....

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.