Income Inequality

Interesting piece on income inequality, with some surprising factoid nuggets:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/02/income-in...john-tamny.html

It seems to say that the numbers which are used in these sorts of calculations are only for the hourly wages of private nonsupervisory workers - this is far less representative than I had expected. The percentage of nonsupervisory jobs in the economy has slowly but steadily contracted over the decades. And since workers frequently move from nonsupervisory to supervisory status as they advance it raises questions in my mind about claims of wage stagnation.

Also, a 20 year study found that of workers in the bottom fifth in 1975, 30% were in the top fifth in 1995, and 30% in the second.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting piece on income inequality, with some surprising factoid nuggets:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/02/income-in...john-tamny.html

It seems to say that the numbers which are used in these sorts of calculations are only for the hourly wages of private nonsupervisory workers - this is far less representative than I had expected. The percentage of nonsupervisory jobs in the economy has slowly but steadily contracted over the decades. And since workers frequently move from nonsupervisory to supervisory status as they advance it raises questions in my mind about claims of wage stagnation.

Also, a 20 year study found that of workers in the bottom fifth in 1975, 30% were in the top fifth in 1995, and 30% in the second.

Really! B-):thumbsup:

Kinda funny... The thougt of the day (before the article) opened with funky Ben's:

"Do not squander time, that is the stuff life if made of."

:worthy:

Back to the article. It addresses the items of the former rich as now beiong common. What about the mobility of the rich?

Do I really need to be squandering my time on this computer! Of course not... I don't need a cellphone, internet, and cable TV. They are basically useless. Of course my using them is my fault! What I am saying is that these innovations are trappings. Once trappings of the rich, now everybody's. What is good about that? Just because the gap between trappings has dimished doesn't make the game any better. The rich just have x10 times as many trappings. Attaining "wealth" to me is much more that consumer trappings. It is about self power and mobility. Consumer items don't bring that, they hinder it.

Really! :wallbash::thumbsup:

Kinda funny... The thougt of the day (before the article) opened with funky Ben's:

"Do not squander time, that is the stuff life if made of."

B-)

Back to the article. It addresses the items of the former rich as now beiong common. What about the mobility of the rich?

Do I really need to be squandering my time on this computer! Of course not... I don't need a cellphone, internet, and cable TV. They are basically useless. Of course my using them is my fault! What I am saying is that these innovations are trappings. Once trappings of the rich, now everybody's. What is good about that? Just because the gap between trappings has dimished doesn't make the game any better. The rich just have x10 times as many trappings. Attaining "wealth" to me is much more that consumer trappings. It is about self power and mobility. Consumer items don't bring that, they hinder it.

:worthy:

So really, Forbes tells me not to worry about income inequality since I have a cellphone, internet connection, and marble floor... Or whatever. :lol: I got what the rich only had! :lol:

Really, are we talking about income inequality between just Americans or everybody in the world... Rich and poor?

"Rather than worry about it, we should celebrate wealth inequality as a sign that enterprise is being rewarded, all the while knowing that the disparity has focused the minds of innovators eager to reduce the gap in ways that will make us better off. In other words, income-inequality worries are utterly pointless."

That is a pretty big assumption...

Ah... NEWSFALSH: Alot of the world is NOT better off. Ya we as Americans may be better to some degree... But not because of consumer goods we can afford. :nana:

What about the guy making cellphone or whatever. Do they even know what they hell they are producing and for who?

If say an American can muster up a buck in change... They are richer than about 95% everybody else in the world (it may be higher)... What? I am not supposed to fret about that since I am now have in my hot little hands what was once only the trappings of the rich.

<_<

Forbes articles never seem to fail bringing the entertainment value.

So really, Forbes tells me not to worry about income inequality since I have a cellphone, internet connection, and marble floor... Or whatever. B-) I got what the rich only had! :)

Really, are we talking about income inequality between just Americans or everybody in the world... Rich and poor?

"Rather than worry about it, we should celebrate wealth inequality as a sign that enterprise is being rewarded, all the while knowing that the disparity has focused the minds of innovators eager to reduce the gap in ways that will make us better off. In other words, income-inequality worries are utterly pointless."

That is a pretty big assumption...

Ah... NEWSFALSH: Alot of the world is NOT better off. Ya we as Americans may be better to some degree... But not because of consumer goods we can afford. :beer:

What about the guy making cellphone or whatever. Do they even know what they hell they are producing and for who?

If say an American can muster up a buck in change... They are richer than about 95% everybody else in the world (it may be higher)... What? I am not supposed to fret about that since I am now have in my hot little hands what was once only the trappings of the rich.

:lol:

Forbes articles never seem to fail bringing the entertainment value.

Can you explain your assumption that income inequality is bad? Or is it self-evident?

Can you explain your assumption that income inequality is bad? Or is it self-evident?

Ya. The more income inequality there is the more power a class of people has over the next. It isn't just about nice shiny stuff.

The article is laughable. Is this what they give the company reps to brainwash them when the have to ship them off to some third world company and see how the product is made.

"Gee! Doesn't look too bad for 8 year old Ping being chained to the sewing machine... I can sleep better at night in my 5000 square foot house in McSuburbia now."

The proof is most of the world.

Are the more rich people or middle class people in this country?

Is there even a middle class? You don't need many to control people... Money is the be all and end all.

The article tells one that they should not fret over income inequality... Like it is a good thing... Really? Because we have Dell computers and cellphones.

:beer::lol:

My brother drives a truck and hauls cars for a living. This time of the year he is hauling cars for the "snowbirds." He is on this way to FLA as we speak... One car he picked up was a 400,000 K Bentley... He is hauling it to Pompano Beach for a grand.

Does this mean in 35 years I will be driving a 400,000 K automobile? Maybe a K-car.

What do the rich do... Read these articles and justify their existence.

:lol::beer:

Is there even a middle class? You don't need many to control people... Money is the be all and end all.

The article tells one that they should not fret over income inequality... Like it is a good thing... Really? Because we have Dell computers and cellphones.

:beer::lol:

Last I heard votes controlled politics not money. Now before you call me naive I know money pulls a lot of strings politically but that's only because the majority of this country is lazy, lazy, lazy.