Why doesn't anyone care about the NHL?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an active volcano. B-)

You been to central OR? Or the coast? Columbia Gorge? Nice too!

It is potentially active:

An active volcano is a volcano that has had at least one eruption during the past 10,000 years. An active volcano might be erupting or dormant.

From Wiki:

Mount Hood is considered the Oregon volcano most likely to erupt, though based on its history, an explosive eruption is unlikely. Still, the odds of an eruption in the next 30 years are estimated at between 3 and 7 percent, so the USGS characterizes it as "potentially active", but the mountain is informally considered dormant

This period includes the last major eruption of 1781–82 with a slightly more recent episode ending shortly before the arrival of Lewis and Clark in 1805. The latest minor eruptive event occurred in August 1907.

:beer::lol:

Quite simply and it's not PC but there are too many foreigners and not enough Americans (especially non-white Americans). Most people don't care as much about players whose names they can't say. Additionally when you consider how diverse America is, hockey has a very small market to draw from. Add to that fact that probably a third of the country(if that) grew up with the game, it is borderline impossible to grow the game.

What the NHL should do is cater to their strengths. Hockey is never going to be big in the south or west. move those teams back to Canada or a Northern US city (Seattl might not be a bad choice now that the Sonics are gone). Force the Flames to trade Iginla to New York (hard to be hockey's Tiger in Calgary) and get fighting back in the game.

Quite simply and it's not PC but there are too many foreigners and not enough Americans (especially non-white Americans). Most people don't care as much about players whose names they can't say. Additionally when you consider how diverse America is, hockey has a very small market to draw from. Add to that fact that probably a third of the country(if that) grew up with the game, it is borderline impossible to grow the game.

What the NHL should do is cater to their strengths. Hockey is never going to be big in the south or west. move those teams back to Canada or a Northern US city (Seattl might not be a bad choice now that the Sonics are gone). Force the Flames to trade Iginla to New York (hard to be hockey's Tiger in Calgary) and get fighting back in the game.

I take it you've never been to a Ducks or Sharks game.

I take it you've never been to a Ducks or Sharks game.

Not saying that they are not good markets... They are and many fans attend the games... They are just un-natural markets that could be served better if say a team was in Halifax, NS... The Kings and Sharks are enough. No way should say PHX or ANA get a team before Winnipeg or Halifax.

The Bills, to me, make Buffalo a BIG TIME city. If you have ever traveled to the south, or mid west, or hell...even the west... nobody cares about hockey... let alone even know what its about. When I watch a Sabres game I feel like i'm watching a Bandits game. Even if we win a championship - its like nobody cares except for Buffalo and a few north eastern cities.

I love the NHL but it just seems like the Buffalo Bills are the big boys in town

It's because the NHL's a league filled with spoiled, rich, young punks who think they can behave with impunity!

Not saying that they are not good markets... They are and many fans attend the games... They are just un-natural markets that could be served better if say a team was in Halifax, NS... The Kings and Sharks are enough. No way should say PHX or ANA get a team before Winnipeg or Halifax.

The future of the NHL is in Helsinki, Prague, Stockholm and Moscow not in Nashville, Tampa or Phoenix...

please explain why baseball is still so popular using the theory of too many foreign players, and with all the transplants from the rust belt area to the south over the last 20 years, there is a good fan base in the south

iginla is hardly the "tiger" of hockey, that comparison should be used on a guy like ovechkin- a player that is great in ALL aspects of the game (i'm not saying iginla isnt good, because he is, but he is not the total package)

please explain why baseball is still so popular using the theory of too many foreign players, and with all the transplants from the rust belt area to the south over the last 20 years, there is a good fan base in the south

Baseball is America's past time. The game has long been established here. Hockey hasn't. And you haven't been paying attention, there are a ton of Caribbean immigrants in America.

And hockey will never consisently draw in the South. Carolina won the Cup and struggled to sell out games. With college basketball/ football, NFL, NASCAR, baseball, NBA, the NHL is a 5th sport at best in most places in the south. The NHL needs to stop forcing a square peg into a round hole.

iginla is hardly the "tiger" of hockey, that comparison should be used on a guy like ovechkin- a player that is great in ALL aspects of the game (i'm not saying iginla isnt good, because he is, but he is not the total package)

Iginla is very good and perhaps the perfect captain. He contributes in all phases. With his ethnic background, a guy like that in NYC could be marketing gold. But he gets plays in Calgary which a lot of Americans don't know where it is.

The Bills, to me, make Buffalo a BIG TIME city. If you have ever traveled to the south, or mid west, or hell...even the west... nobody cares about hockey... let alone even know what its about. When I watch a Sabres game I feel like i'm watching a Bandits game. Even if we win a championship - its like nobody cares except for Buffalo and a few north eastern cities.

I love the NHL but it just seems like the Buffalo Bills are the big boys in town

It's always been that way - unless the Sabres are setting the league on fire, most folks don't even pay attention to hockey until January, when the Bills season ends. Then we start glancing at the NHL standings.

It's always been that way - unless the Sabres are setting the league on fire, most folks don't even pay attention to hockey until January, when the Bills season ends. Then we start glancing at the NHL standings.

BINGO!!

i love hockey, but when there is only 16 nfl games compared to 82 nhl games, you gotta prioritize..........

well,

that and the fact my wife would kill me if all i did was sit around and watch sports or go to games.

I have a female friend who loves the farm club for the Atlanta Thrashers. She goes to the games all the time (Gwinnett Gladiators in Atlanta). The first time she saw the HDNet broadcast, she was blown away by it. I wish all hockey games were like that!

Gwinnett has one of the finest arenas in the ECHL and their team is usually very entertaining. Lots of offense.

I wish the NHL would stop trying to shoehorn teams into the weaker markets. Concentrate on the product quality, making sure the game stays fast with no clutch and grab. Reinforce their stronger regions and let the game catch on naturally. Only way to do it. But Bettman and the owners are holding out this pipe dream for national mass appeal and the lure of a big TV contract. Forget it. Your not going to be on par with the NFL. Play to your strengths and go with it.

Gwinnett has one of the finest arenas in the ECHL and their team is usually very entertaining. Lots of offense.

Yeah, it is a surprisingly nice arena. I haven't been to a Glads game yet, but I've been there for a couple of concerts and for a suburban locale, it's really nice. Beats having to fight ATL traffic to get down to Phillips.

Yeah, it is a surprisingly nice arena. I haven't been to a Glads game yet, but I've been there for a couple of concerts and for a suburban locale, it's really nice. Beats having to fight ATL traffic to get down to Phillips.

The have excellent game presentation and the fans are passionate (though not too knowledgeable). It was a mix of yuppie/redneck trash. Pretty awesome.