Why doesn't anyone care about the NHL?

The Bills, to me, make Buffalo a BIG TIME city. If you have ever traveled to the south, or mid west, or hell...even the west... nobody cares about hockey... let alone even know what its about. When I watch a Sabres game I feel like i'm watching a Bandits game. Even if we win a championship - its like nobody cares except for Buffalo and a few north eastern cities.

I love the NHL but it just seems like the Buffalo Bills are the big boys in town

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills, to me, make Buffalo a BIG TIME city. If you have ever traveled to the south, or mid west, or hell...even the west... nobody cares about hockey... let alone even know what its about. When I watch a Sabres game I feel like i'm watching a Bandits game. Even if we win a championship - its like nobody cares except for Buffalo and a few north eastern cities.

I love the NHL but it just seems like the Buffalo Bills are the big boys in town

It's regional. Fans are passionate. More care than what you think. Even out here, Shark games are always sold out or damn near close to it.

If we win a championship (oh wouldn't that be nice) I don't give two ***** if anyone else cares. Fug em.

If we win a championship (oh wouldn't that be nice) I don't give two ***** if anyone else cares. Fug em.

100% agree with the representative from Calif on this one! If the Sabres win a championship (which very well could happen before the Bills) I don't care who takes notice... I've been waiting 38 years for SOMETHING!

I can't see the puck.

B-)

Damn you FOX!!!! You had at least ONE fan who liked the glowing puck!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

IMO:

Again... I am gonna get flak. Soccer is a world sport because it takes very few resources to play. Maybe hockey in the old days, but not now. Sure you can skate on a pond... When the weather is cold enough.

People mostly embrace games that they themselves feel have the ability to play.

Hockey to most (notice I said MOST, Canada and others is the exception because of history) is elitist. It is like skiing, even know a day on the slopes may cost one less than freakin' bowling or golf! It takes equipment and less tolerant conditons.

Oh... And the NHL has been crooked since the get go.

Don't get me wrong... I still love watching it and I like to skate.

IMO:

Again... I am gonna get flak. Soccer is a world sport because it takes very few resources to play. Maybe hockey in the old days, but not now. Sure you can skate on a pond... When the weather is cold enough.

Hockey to most (notice I said MOST, Canada and others is the exception because of history) is elitist. It is like skiing, even know a day on the slopes may cost one less than freakin' bowling or golf! It takes equipment and less tolerant conditons.

can't agree here.

playing a street hockey pickup game costs about the same or less than a pickup game of baseball, as costs relate player for player.

now ice hockey may be somewhat elitist, but street hockey, no way

IMO:

I disagree too. I fell in love with hockey on the floor with a sock nearly 40 years ago. Also playing the table top games. And in the summer we played street hockey for hours and hours.

Hockey is elitist? :unsure:

I disagree too. I fell in love with hockey on the floor with a sock nearly 40 years ago. Also playing the table top games. And in the summer we played street hockey for hours and hours.

Hockey is elitist? :unsure:

He's about half-right when it comes to the sports acceptance. The reason hockey is so big in Canada and the northern states is that its ingrained in our culture as a winter activity. When its cold enough out, every kid in that region rushes to a pond or an outdoor rink and plays hockey til the sun goes down (or even longer if the rink is lit).

In the southern US, where is a kid going to play the game without having the money and resources to afford playing at one of the two or three rinks their city has?

My job was thinking about sending me to San Fran to work there. I looked up the price of hockey registration for myself and it came to $2000! For ONE SEASON. I pay that much here in Ottawa for two years of year-round hockey!

I can't see the puck.

Come on over, man...we'll watch the games in HD on my 133" screen...you'll see the damn puck :unsure:

I've said this before, but I think that the sport that should arguably benefit the most from HDTV is hockey. When I first got HDNet a few years ago, I noticed that I was watching hockey more than I had been before. The camera angles were fantastic, and the picture was amazing. I felt as if I were right behind the glass watching the action. I had no trouble at all following the puck and it took the experience to another level. Also, the rectangle screen allowed for much more continuity with regard to following the flow of the game.

I'm a marginal fan, but I would love for hockey to become more popular and have the broadcasts all be like what HDNet does. It's a completely different experience.

In the southern US, where is a kid going to play the game without having the money and resources to afford playing at one of the two or three rinks their city has?

how about a tennis court(works best so you dont have to chase the ball/puck), or basketball court at playgrounds?

how many pickup game of football or baseball games are played on REAL field?

Come on over, man...we'll watch the games in HD on my 133" screen...you'll see the damn puck :wallbash:

I've said this before, but I think that the sport that should arguably benefit the most from HDTV is hockey. When I first got HDNet a few years ago, I noticed that I was watching hockey more than I had been before. The camera angles were fantastic, and the picture was amazing. I felt as if I were right behind the glass watching the action. I had no trouble at all following the puck and it took the experience to another level. Also, the rectangle screen allowed for much more continuity with regard to following the flow of the game.

I'm a marginal fan, but I would love for hockey to become more popular and have the broadcasts all be like what HDNet does. It's a completely different experience.

Are you saying my 13 year old 24" Wal mart TV is inadequate? :blink:

how about a tennis court(works best so you dont have to chase the ball/puck), or basketball court at playgrounds?

how many pickup game of football or baseball games are played on REAL field?

These games are still played on a surface conducive to being able to bring the skills they attain to the real field.

I love street hockey as much as the next guy but the ice surface is what distinguishes the game from every other sport in the world. Sure kids in the south can play street hockey but just playing street hockey makes it very hard for kids to relate to the stars of the game. Kids want to emulate their favorite athletes as much as possible and not being to skate or getting access to ice makes that very difficult.

Come on over, man...we'll watch the games in HD on my 133" screen...you'll see the damn puck :flirt:

Are you talking about those games they did with HD cameras at ice level? They have done a few games like that with no announcers and only crowd noise. During breaks they would give you some color commentary and some behind the scene pieces in between periods. I think they have only done those games at the Duck pond and the Staple Center. I really enjoyed those games.

Are you talking about those games they did with HD cameras at ice level? They have done a few games like that with no announcers and only crowd noise. During breaks they would give you some color commentary and some behind the scene pieces in between periods. I think they have only done those games at the Duck pond and the Staple Center. I really enjoyed those games.

Hmmm...I don't remember the no announcer thing for some reason...maybe I was just so enamored with the camera angles that I didn't even notice lol. But yeah, it was like going from seats a level or two up to being right down at ice level to watch the game. At some points I felt like I was actually on the damn ice, it was that cool. It was so much more engaging than watching the game from "above", that I wish versus and whoever else would adopt the same approach. I don't really want to see a panoramic view of the ice when I'm watching hockey....I'd rather be down where I can really appreciate the speed and skill of the players, while still being able to follow the game.

I have a female friend who loves the farm club for the Atlanta Thrashers. She goes to the games all the time (Gwinnett Gladiators in Atlanta). The first time she saw the HDNet broadcast, she was blown away by it. I wish all hockey games were like that!

Hmmm...I don't remember the no announcer thing for some reason...!

The Ducks did that far a few games last year and I stumbled on them by mistake and couldn't figure out what I was watching (did the announcers die?). I loved it seeing I hate announcers. I've been watching sports for about 45 years I don't need someone telling me what I just saw. However I would have preferred if they mixed in some regular camera angle shots. I love watching plays develop.