Sully pretty much said it right this time

Rubes

I've been trying to think about what the problem is on offense. I really don't think it's because Edwards is "missing" something. I think he has all the skills and smarts. But he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Why is that?

I think I understand now, and Sully covered it for the most part this week:

"They take chances. Edwards ought to do the same."

"One of the last things he said Wednesday was that he'll stick to what he has been coached."

It seems pretty apparent to me that Edwards can do the job, but that he's been coached by Jauron and company to "play safe." He's been coached so strongly to avoid taking chances and making turnovers that he barely takes any chances at all anymore. Avoid fumbles and interceptions at all cost -- apparently, at the cost of making plays. It seems to be the calling card of Dick and co.

What we want from this offense is to stop playing it so damn safe. Take some chances. Throw the ball deep and make the receiver do the work. Fling it over the deep middle once in a while and let the cards fall as they may. It's the only way to fully utilize what we have.

They just can't be this safe about things all the time. It's driving everyone crazy.

Dick's mantra is "lose close". Then you can always argue the team is that close to breaking it wide open. He's like a chick who acts like she'll sleep with you if you buy her one more diamond ring. She never does but acts like she's that close.

PTR

It seems pretty apparent to me that Edwards can do the job, but that he's been coached by Jauron and company to "play safe." He's been coached so strongly to avoid taking chances and making turnovers that he barely takes any chances at all anymore. Avoid fumbles and interceptions at all cost -- apparently, at the cost of making plays. It seems to be the calling card of Dick and co.

I can't help but remember how Edwards wanted DJ back when the season ended last December. It almost seemed ridiculous that the starting QB wanted what we hoped to be a lame duck HC back. As time goes by, I can't help but agree with this post because Edwards has become DJ personified on the field: a no risk, no reward type of decision maker.

Edwards has made some deeper throws, and I believe he can be a good QB. But the question must be asked: Does DJ destroy QB's? His game-plans surprise no one, and the QB has been clearly trained to dump it down. Is the QB given some leeway to make decisions on the field? I don't think so, especially when you consider DJ's hired 3 OC's in 4 seasons.

The fact that Edwards likes DJ as a coach is irrelevant. Jauron has been loved by his players wherever he's been. His players want him to succeed.

As we've heard since Schonert's departure, it was his way and only his way, and we know he had an intolerance for young player mistakes (Hardy.) Schonert was his QB coach under Fairchild, and his OC for a year plus. When TE first took over for JP when he was injured he took more chances on midrange and downfield throws. My point is it may take some time to get the ghost of Schonert out of TE's head. Give AVP some time to loosen Edwards up before you write him off.

Also, consider the defensive philosophies employed in Marshawn's absence. Three games played mostly with some version of a nickel or dime coverage. The first game the offensive gameplan was working until the end. The second game TE connects on a 30+ and 40+ yard TD. And the third game, despite the fact that your WRs may be open, it's tough to find them when you're getting the p*$$ blitzed out of you (reference to NO, not prior) and your line's playing poorly. It seemed to be to be a community effort on that one.

As far as Sully insinuating that TE should watch film of Favre and then play like him, how many times in Favre's career, especially recently, has that ball been picked??!! A few recent playoff games come to mind. Regardless, watching Favre (or Kelly, Elway, Marino, Manning, etc) is unlikely to result in TE playing like them. If it were only that simple.

As far as Sully insinuating that TE should watch film of Favre and then play like him, how many times in Favre's career, especially recently, has that ball been picked??!!

Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that you can't play the entire game, every game, playing it safe and not taking chances once in a while. That doesn't mean you take stupid chances, like Favre does every once in a while, but you have to take some chances. There has to be a little bit of 'cowboy' in your quarterback every now and then. Sure, it will result in some bad plays or turnovers, but it will also result in some big plays. It's all about risk-reward, and right now we take few risks and get little in reward.