Stop asking me for donations in the checkout line

sullim4

A couple months ago I moved to a new townhouse, which happens to be located within walking distance to a Safeway. Safeway is significantly more expensive to shop at compared to say, Fred Meyer - I find my bills to be 15-20% higher when shopping there, but am willing to pay a little for the convienence.

One thing that really, really annoys me at Safeway is that their cashiers always ask for $1 donations to their charity of the month. MDA, breast cancer, prostate cancer, Easter Seals, etc. This isn't a one-time thing - they ask you every single time, and you end up getting asked twice if you use a credit card because the PIN pad asks you as well. Saying no makes you look like a tightwad in front of everyone behind you in line, and saying yes might mean that your donation doesn't even go to the charity at all.

I commit annually to donate roughly 10% of my income to charity - that's a personal choice of mine. I don't want or deserve to publicly look like a schmuck in a checkout line because a conglomerate is too cheap to donate money from their own profits and instead hawks money from their customers.

At our Safeway, there are always some sort of organization asking for money when you leave. Outside at both exits. I don't mind once in a while but now its just annoying. I used to feel bad walking by them now I have no problem ignoring them. I have no problem giving once in a while but enough is enough. Now I resent them.

A couple months ago I moved to a new townhouse, which happens to be located within walking distance to a Safeway. Safeway is significantly more expensive to shop at compared to say, Fred Meyer - I find my bills to be 15-20% higher when shopping there, but am willing to pay a little for the convienence.

One thing that really, really annoys me at Safeway is that their cashiers always ask for $1 donations to their charity of the month. MDA, breast cancer, prostate cancer, Easter Seals, etc. This isn't a one-time thing - they ask you every single time, and you end up getting asked twice if you use a credit card because the PIN pad asks you as well. Saying no makes you look like a tightwad in front of everyone behind you in line, and saying yes might mean that your donation doesn't even go to the charity at all.

I commit annually to donate roughly 10% of my income to charity - that's a personal choice of mine. I don't want or deserve to publicly look like a schmuck in a checkout line because a conglomerate is too cheap to donate money from their own profits and instead hawks money from their customers.

I don't get the problem with just saying no. Do you dedicate your 10% so that everyone can know what a wonderful person you are? If not, then who cares what anyone around you thinks when you say no? I've never seen a checkout person push the issue, like saying "are you suuure?", or something similar. Takes 5 seconds to ask and say no.

I don't get the problem with just saying no. Do you dedicate your 10% so that everyone can know what a wonderful person you are? If not, then who cares what anyone around you thinks when you say no? I've never seen a checkout person push the issue, like saying "are you suuure?", or something similar. Takes 5 seconds to ask and say no.

You have a valid point. I guess I'm more annoyed at it this time of year because it's our company's giving campaign. Ads for that are on soft drink cans, emails from management asking for donations, and various events that take place during the month. I donate through the campaign solely to get my charities matching funds but honestly it's nobody's damn business what I give or who I give it to. It feels like no matter where I go (work, the grocery store, even driving down the street with the firemen holding their boots out blocking traffic) that I'm being asked for money. Hell, even the Catholic Church seems to be asking for more money now than they have before.

I know I sound like a heartless SOB but at the same time I really feel like it's getting out of control. The funny thing is that when our work group volunteered a couple weeks ago at the food bank, we weren't solicited for money at all.

At our Safeway, there are always some sort of organization asking for money when you leave. Outside at both exits. I don't mind once in a while but now its just annoying. I used to feel bad walking by them now I have no problem ignoring them. I have no problem giving once in a while but enough is enough. Now I resent them.

What is even worse is the legit "panhandling" that goes on at the intersections by say the firefighters/police/or other charites that ask to do it. That's just wrong... Just wait till somebody gets hurt... They will blame the driver... They don't belong in the middle of the road collecting money... WTF! Nothing more than sanctioned panhandling.