Penalties are a new issue

BillsVet

DJ coached teams have typically not committed many penalties. This season, a number of Bills are being flagged, particularly their rookies. According to a Tim Graham article Demetrius Bell, Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Nic Harris have combined for 14 penalties for 94 yards in three games.

Bills fans have been inundated with talk that DJ is a good teaching coach. For a team that was disciplined a few years ago, this is a big step in the wrong direction.

The penalty issue also underscores another point: that the Bills are getting younger and not really more experienced each year. Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, and Bell are 6 guys who have never before started in the NFL, but are being counted on in 2009. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they've been whistled significantly. I would expect after four off-seasons of rebuilding the Bills would be better than this.

For the record, MIA is one of the least flagged teams in the AFCE. Penalties will be a issue tomorrow as well, with Byrd, Levitre, Wood, and Nelson probably getting a lot of playing time.

DJ coached teams have typically not committed many penalties. This season, a number of Bills are being flagged, particularly their rookies. According to a Tim Graham article Demetrius Bell, Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Nic Harris have combined for 14 penalties for 94 yards in three games.

Bills fans have been inundated with talk that DJ is a good teaching coach. For a team that was disciplined a few years ago, this is a big step in the wrong direction.

The penalty issue also underscores another point: that the Bills are getting younger and not really more experienced each year. Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, and Bell are 6 guys who have never before started in the NFL, but are being counted on in 2009. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they've been whistled significantly. I would expect after four off-seasons of rebuilding the Bills would be better than this.

For the record, MIA is one of the least flagged teams in the AFCE. Penalties will be a issue tomorrow as well, with Byrd, Levitre, Wood, and Nelson probably getting a lot of playing time.

That's what scares me about Jauron's chances of sticking around. Ralph will have a $4 million dollar decision to make. If Dick can pull out at least 6 wins, Ralph can say that we're on the right track with a young team and it's Groundhog day all over again.

Good point on the penalties, that will be something to keep an eye on tomorrow.

You actually make a valid point here. As you mentioned, oone of the reasons I don't think DJ is nearly as bad as most people think is because he leads very displinced football teams. Few penalties, IMO, points to good coaching. So far, the pnalties have been: Ne (9 for 71 yards), TB (7 for 55), and NO (12 for 116). That many penalites is unacceptable and in a close game, like it was against NO, prove to be real killers. It is also also worth nothing that NO had 9 penalites for 97 yards, which could point to a flag happy crew.

My point in defending Jauron is never to say he is a great coach. But I put more on players executing than coaches coaching. I think the Bills under DJ haven't had a playoff caliber roster until this season. Looking back at 2007 when DJ performed a borderline miracle given the injuries, the Bills were among the league leaders in fewest penalties and turnover margain. The Bills, IMO, can be a playoff team if they come close to 2007's discipline. However, if this doesn't improve (and hopefully with a young oline, they will improve), it is time for a change.

That's what scares me about Jauron's chances of sticking around. Ralph will have a $4 million dollar decision to make. If Dick can pull out at least 6 wins, Ralph can say that we're on the right track with a young team and it's Groundhog day all over again.

Good point on the penalties, that will be something to keep an eye on tomorrow.

I think Ralph Wilson wants to win more than you think. He has jsut been unlucky. He hired the best football personnel guy on the market (TD), gave him complete control, and he screwed up things.

So far in Brandon's management, IMO there have been very few questionable player moves. I also believe RB is the best chance to hire a bigger name coach.

I think Ralph Wilson wants to win more than you think. He has jsut been unlucky. He hired the best football personnel guy on the market (TD), gave him complete control, and he screwed up things.

So far in Brandon's management, IMO there have been very few questionable player moves. I also believe RB is the best chance to hire a bigger name coach.

you are right - Brandon has not made many moves

except for gutting the OL of Peters, Dockery and Walker and relying on Scott and Chambers ( a guy bad enough that the Bills cut him) to man the OT spots

where did all the money they saved from the above cuts go ????

other than TO (who paid for himself with ticket sales) NONE of it was spent to improve the product on the field

way to go Russ - Ralph sure appreciates it!!!

you are right - Brandon has not made many moves

except for gutting the OL of Peters, Dockery and Walker and relying on Scott and Chambers ( a guy bad enough that the Bills cut him) to man the OT spots

where did all the money they saved from the above cuts go ????

other than TO (who paid for himself with ticket sales) NONE of it was spent to improve the product on the field

way to go Russ - Ralph sure appreciates it!!!

amen. There are examples every year to provide evidence that you are right on.

right on. what owner wants to intentionally sink his team to the ground???