Thanks to you QB's who helped my boy w/ solid advice

Simon

Nothing spectacular but a solid first outing for the boy.

Went 4-8 (with 3 WR drops on 2 good throws) for about 75 yrds and a TD. Moved the chains with his feet a couple times on QB draws. Did a good job never leaving the pocket once and only throwing 1 bad ball off his back foot all night.

Best stat of the night: 0 turnovers in a 31-0 win.

Thanks for all the great advice you guys gave; it was very helpful.

Any secret tips on how to better deliver a wet ball downfield? He had some trouble in a rainy scrimmage last week and I don't know what to tell him about altering his grip or delivery in the rain. Any suggestions?

Glad I didn't offer my "assistance." My HS coach used to say when you pass the ball, three things can happen and two of 'em are bad... actually when "Bullpen" is quarterbacking all THREE are bad. So we ran a lot of option football during my tenure at the helm. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear others had some good advice Simon... all my best to your son for the remaining season. I'll stick to giving baseball advice I guess.... :sick:

Nothing spectacular but a solid first outing for the boy.

Went 4-8 (with 3 WR drops on 2 good throws) for about 75 yrds and a TD. Moved the chains with his feet a couple times on QB draws. Did a good job never leaving the pocket once and only throwing 1 bad ball off his back foot all night.

Best stat of the night: 0 turnovers in a 31-0 win.

Thanks for all the great advice you guys gave; it was very helpful.

Any secret tips on how to better deliver a wet ball downfield? He had some trouble in a rainy scrimmage last week and I don't know what to tell him about altering his grip or delivery in the rain. Any suggestions?

Gald to hear hes doing well. In terms of throwing a wet ball? One thing he could do is get bigger hands or i used to try and grip it tighter but that can lead to underthrows and wobbley passes itd really just something he has to hget used to

Yeah, hand it off!

Honestly what Hamdan said is dead on... the harder you grip the worst your throw. Just like death-gripping a golf club. Tightness equals ineffectiveness. Stepping into your throw more than you would with a dry ball helps get a wet ball to it's target for effectively.

This might not be popular, but become "Capt. Checkdown" and try to minimize throws OVER 10 or 15 yard unless necessary. The farther he's got to throw it, instinctively the tighter he'll want to grip it.

If all else fails... hand it off or run the option! :thumbsup:

Is he busy this Sunday?

:doh::worthy::(

Great to hear! I don't recommend gripping the ball tighter. It's a natural reaction but it's actually better to lighten the grip a little at the point of release. Kinda tricky, but practice makes perfect. It will mean less deep throws but will keep his acuracy. Have him work on this with you with an old ball that you can soak thoroughly. I think he'll be pleasantly surprized and gain confidence. Also, don't pump fake during rain storms -obviously- and be sure he keeps both hands on the ball while scanning the secondary. Pass rushers know it's slick too..

Don'tcha HATE it when WR's drop passes?!?! :rolleyes:

Glad I didn't offer my "assistance." My HS coach used to say when you pass the ball, three things can happen and two of 'em are bad... actually when "Bullpen" is quarterbacking all THREE are bad. So we ran a lot of option football during my tenure at the helm. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear others had some good advice Simon... all my best to your son for the remaining season. I'll stick to giving baseball advice I guess.... :worthy:

Funny you mention this. My friend is a high school coach so I took my son to one of his games last year. Their offense was running the single wing T, something like Notre Dame would run in the 1950s. They may have passed it 5 times the whole game & this is Varsity football!!! I told him that is the most boring offense I have ever seen & you guys should be ashamed for running it. Teach the kids something they could use in the next level, spread them out & let them have some fun. He told me the same exact thing your HS coach told you. "When you pass the ball, three things can happen & two of em are bad". Once I heard him say that I told him "man, with an attitude like that, I hope my son never plays football for a coach like you.

Funny you mention this. My friend is a high school coach so I took my son to one of his games last year. Their offense was running the single wing T, something like Notre Dame would run in the 1950s. They may have passed it 5 times the whole game & this is Varsity football!!! I told him that is the most boring offense I have ever seen & you guys should be ashamed for running it. Teach the kids something they could use in the next level, spread them out & let them have some fun. He told me the same exact thing your HS coach told you. "When you pass the ball, three things can happen & two of em are bad". Once I heard him say that I told him "man, with an attitude like that, I hope my son never plays football for a coach like you.

Oh it was horrible Gord, three yards and a cloud of dust every stinkin play, I may have thrown the ball 48 times my last year (and this was when Section IV still played an 8 game regular season schedule) It's wierd though it seems like a lot of the smaller Class C and D schools all ran the option (either a veer option, wing-t, stacked I or split back version of it)