Newsflash: The Bills roster is extremely thin

BillsVet

No NFL roster will ever have the talent some of those Bills teams had in the late eighties/early nineties. But looking at the Bills roster right now, it's amazing how thin the Bills are, especially at LB and OT. Even in the age of parity, the Bills are woefully short at a few positions.

The backup LB's consist of former UDFA's Marcus Buggs, Ashlee Palmer, Jon Corto, and 5th round converted S Nic Harris. It's no wonder the team cannot sustain even one injury at the position before they're desperate. And in true DJ fashion, none of those LB's weigh more than 240 pounds.

At OT, the team decided against signing Peters, who they said could be replaced by Walker. LW was eventually cut, paving the way for a project player taken in the 7th round of 2008, Demetrius Bell. When he went down Sunday, it was former cut Kirk Chambers playing LT of all positions. Now we hear that Jonathan Scott, a cut from Detroit may get some PT there this week. Then again, protecting the QB who is supposed to throw to those high priced receivers isn't all that important, is it?

The Bills are depending on 5 rookies to either start or be primary backups who get plenty of playing time: Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, and Nelson. Injuries cannot be an excuse when the roster is stocked with so little talent and having TO doesn't make up for thinning the roster of decent talent. Whoever actually builds this team has absolutely no idea what they're doing. Converting Nic Harris back to safety is another indication they're throwing stuff at a wall thinking it'll stick.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
No NFL roster will ever have the talent some of those Bills teams had in the late eighties/early nineties. But looking at the Bills roster right now, it's amazing how thin the Bills are, especially at LB and OT. Even in the age of parity, the Bills are woefully short at a few positions.

The backup LB's consist of former UDFA's Marcus Buggs, Ashlee Palmer, Jon Corto, and 5th round converted S Nic Harris. It's no wonder the team cannot sustain even one injury at the position before they're desperate. And in true DJ fashion, none of those LB's weigh more than 240 pounds.

At OT, the team decided against signing Peters, who they said could be replaced by Walker. LW was eventually cut, paving the way for a project player taken in the 7th round of 2008, Demetrius Bell. When he went down Sunday, it was former cut Kirk Chambers playing LT of all positions. Now we hear that Jonathan Scott, a cut from Detroit may get some PT there this week. Then again, protecting the QB who is supposed to throw to those high priced receivers isn't all that important, is it?

The Bills are depending on 5 rookies to either start or be primary backups who get plenty of playing time: Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, and Nelson. Injuries cannot be an excuse when the roster is stocked with so little talent and having TO doesn't make up for thinning the roster of decent talent. Whoever actually builds this team has absolutely no idea what they're doing. Converting Nic Harris back to safety is another indication they're throwing stuff at a wall thinking it'll stick.

Painfully true post.

Heard Hall-of-Famer Billy Shaw today and he basically said he didn't think he'd ever seen a younger OL that had so little depth. He said Brad Butler was the leader and his loss was absolutely huge. He does think some of the young guys look like they have a future. They'll be incredibly lucky to go 8-8 but they need to figure out a way to get the ball to their playmakers and soon.

It's because the tools keep too many players on the roster (like John Wendling) that can only play special teams. It destroys the ability to develp depth.

Institutionalized frugality. But you folks keep buying up tickets, so Ralph has no incentive whatsoever to change.

Without us folks buying tickets you folks wouldn't have a team to be a fan of. If you find it so bad to support the team there are 31 other teams must be doing things so much better than the bills for you to root for.

It's because the tools keep too many players on the roster (like John Wendling) that can only play special teams. It destroys the ability to develp depth.
I agree completely. I've been saying for years that April has way too much influence on roster decisions. Most teams have one ST "ace", somebody who plays on all the ST and pretty much anchors those units. The Bills have four roster spots dedicated to players who will play almost exclusively on ST, (Wendling, Corto, Jenkins, McIntyre) and none of those players are even a ST captain.

In addition, the roster is somewhat inflexible because of the large numbers of players at certain positions. They have 6 CBs, 5 safeties, and 6 WRs. (plus Hardy on PUP) (I'm guessing Jenkins gets cut tomorrow to make room for Lynch)

The end result is a "numbers game" where there just aren't enough spots left to develop players at positions such as OL, DL, LB.

Enough with the "Sky is falling the sky is falling" chicken little crap. Every team suffers njuries every team suffers from no names and rookies stepping into big starting roles and expected to play thats what they are paid for. The fact is the Bills have finally gotten smart and stop overpaying for overvalued talent now they have rookies who can play at the same level.

I am also tired of the peters BS do you not remeber he came of the practice squad and turned into a probowl player whose to say that the inexperienced players couldnt become one too.

TO wasnt brought in to win he was brought in to sell tickets and hope PERIOD!!! Any other illusion you had was delusional no team coached by DJ is going to make the playoffs.

Yet, those same LBs shut down the best offense in the league until the middle of the 4th.

The great Peters has given up one less sack than Bell. I also find your timing funny. i don't remember these posts after we were one of the best running teams in the NFL with this inexperience oline.

I guess you're a Bills fan. But you are the most negative fan I have ever met. Obviously there are problems with the team, but they should be 2-1 and just stopped a great offense. Things aren't nearly as bad as you want them to be.

I want the Bills to win because I love them. But it's almost become personal to shut some of you up. Seriously, I come to talk Bills and not slit my wrists after a page full of "woe is me" threads. Keep up the quality posting. :thumbsup:

Yet, those same LBs shut down the best offense in the league until the middle of the 4th.

The great Peters has given up one less sack than Bell. I also find your timing funny. i don't remember these posts after we were one of the best running teams in the NFL with this inexperience oline.

I guess you're a Bills fan. But you are the most negative fan I have ever met. Obviously there are problems with the team, but they should be 2-1 and just stopped a great offense. Things aren't nearly as bad as you want them to be.

I want the Bills to win because I love them. But it's almost become personal to shut some of you up. Seriously, I come to talk Bills and not slit my wrists after a page full of "woe is me" threads. Keep up the quality posting. :thumbsup:

Friggin truth, thank you!!!

I'm getting sick and tired of these, "I hope the Bills lose so Jauron leaves" threads. In real life, you'd be punched in the mouth at any local Buffalo area bar for mumbling such idiocy. If you hate the team so much, just leave. Go cheer for the Pats*....

Excuse me, but Wendling was awesome last week on ST. It wasn't like Tasker was major depth either!

Enough with the "Sky is falling the sky is falling" chicken little crap. Every team suffers njuries every team suffers from no names and rookies stepping into big starting roles and expected to play thats what they are paid for. The fact is the Bills have finally gotten smart and stop overpaying for overvalued talent now they have rookies who can play at the same level.

I am also tired of the peters BS do you not remeber he came of the practice squad and turned into a probowl player whose to say that the inexperienced players couldnt become one too.

TO wasnt brought in to win he was brought in to sell tickets and hope PERIOD!!! Any other illusion you had was delusional no team coached by DJ is going to make the playoffs.

I would think that after rebuilding the team since 2006 that Buffalo could feature slightly better depth and contend for a division title. But there are enough fans happy to have a team and not really interested in having being good.

And why are we supposed to accept that DJ is good enough in December, when the coaching axe is coming down across the league.

Too many Bills fans accept mediocrity and explain it away with wimpy excuses. Indy and Pittsburgh are small markets.

I would think that after rebuilding the team since 2006 that Buffalo could feature slightly better depth and contend for a division title. But there are enough fans happy to have a team and not really interested in having being good.

And why are we supposed to accept that DJ is good enough in December, when the coaching axe is coming down across the league.

Too many Bills fans accept mediocrity and explain it away with wimpy excuses. Indy and Pittsburgh are small markets.

Or they choose not to whine about the season like it's over after the first bad game of the season. Either or.

Or they choose not to whine about the season like it's over after the first bad game of the season. Either or.

And you were one of those fans not concerned last year when the team was 5-2 after the Jets loss. It's probably easier not to worry, even though there's a train worth of pain coming down the tracks. You cannot deny it's been this way for a long time now. But don't stop making excuses.

I'm getting sick and tired of these, "I hope the Bills lose so Jauron leaves" threads. In real life, you'd be punched in the mouth at any local Buffalo area bar for mumbling such idiocy.

Really? How long have you lived in Florida? Have you attended any Bills Backers bars to watch the game?

You might want to. Just for a reality check. My guess is you will find the atmosphere a little "idiotic".

I agree completely. I've been saying for years that April has way too much influence on roster decisions. Most teams have one ST "ace", somebody who plays on all the ST and pretty much anchors those units. The Bills have four roster spots dedicated to players who will play almost exclusively on ST, (Wendling, Corto, Jenkins, McIntyre) and none of those players are even a ST captain.

In addition, the roster is somewhat inflexible because of the large numbers of players at certain positions. They have 6 CBs, 5 safeties, and 6 WRs. (plus Hardy on PUP) (I'm guessing Jenkins gets cut tomorrow to make room for Lynch)

The end result is a "numbers game" where there just aren't enough spots left to develop players at positions such as OL, DL, LB.

Actually, with all the injuries in the secondary this past week, keeping all those d backs seems like legitimate anticipation of need. Drayton Florence is an A player...off the bench...San Diego wanted him bakc, but he came here. And, I am guessing that Wilson, Byrd will do a good job as well...with the risk of rookie mistakes by Byrd..he missed most of camp.

Also, I am not convinced that you can develope beyond the first year, just being around the practices. And they have the practice squad for that plus 7 slots that are inelgible to play every week. So, I don't think that the management of the roster this year has been one of Jauron's flaws...there are others, but roster management isn't one of them...IMO anyhow.

And you were one of those fans not concerned last year when the team was 5-2 after the Jets loss. It's probably easier not to worry, even though there's a train worth of pain coming down the tracks. You cannot deny it's been this way for a long time now. But don't stop making excuses.

There's 13 games left, my friend. A lot can happen. I just find it amazing that after one bad game (one in which we shut down the best offense in the NFL), this board becomes the most depressing place ever.

Trust me, if we have another subpar season, big changes need to be made. But crying about the Bills now IMHO does nothing. Long season to go. Enjoy, then female dog in the offseason.

Really? How long have you lived in Florida? Have you attended any Bills Backers bars to watch the game?

You might want to. Just for a reality check. My guess is you will find the atmosphere a little "idiotic".

That sounds like a miserable place then. You probably thrive there.