Olympics

finknottle

I know you will appreciate this, my utopian ideologue

“Now in the sixties we were naive, like children. Everybody went back to their rooms and said, 'We didn't get a wonderful world of just flowers and peace and happy chocolate, and it won't be just pretty and beautiful all the time,' and just like babies everyone went back to their rooms and sulked. 'We're going to stay in our rooms and play rock and roll and not do anything else, because the world's a horrible place, because it didn't give us everything we cried for.' Right?”

Yep... That is the Boomers for you... Guess who is running the world now...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the life of me I can't figure out why people hate unions and a better life?

Is it jealousy?

Is it power?

Is it control?

Why wouldn't people want others to live a better life.

People hate unions because it destroys the ideal that some have. Namely, a union, by definition, protects the worst member at the expense of the best member. People have a problem with that, becuase, theoretically, at least, we are a nation founded on 'may the best man win'. Again, unions, by definition, tear at the fabric of what a lot (if not most) folks feel to be the cornerstone of what made (makes?) America great.

It's not really that hard to figure out.

No kidding. Damn people for working hard for a better life. You know those middle-class people make so much money.

Exactly.

Damn Chicago is a union town... Has anybody ever been here? Sure it has its warts, I work in one of the worst places industrial and social wise... And man I can tell you that it has EVERYTHING over other places in the world that some here hold dear.

Like the nickname says: It is a city that works... It has a modern and clean downtown and other areas with all kinds of new ammenties. In the 20 years I have been here, the place is getting better and better while other places fall apart. People slack Daley, but he renovates and takes care of the place like few others do in their area.

People who slack Chicago for its warts, IMO really never traveled elsewhere. For the life of me, I can't understand why somebody would want a city that may be union free, but is a slum hole.

Ya... And unions have made this town great... Just travel downtown and in the Loop... It is one of the nicest and safest cities on the planet... There are very few places I wouldn't walk in Chicago.

:D

People hate unions because it destroys the ideal that some have. Namely, a union, by definition, protects the worst member at the expense of the best member. People have a problem with that, becuase, theoretically, at least, we are a nation founded on 'may the best man win'. Again, unions, by definition, tear at the fabric of what a lot (if not most) folks feel to be the cornerstone of what made (makes?) America great.

It's not really that hard to figure out.

Ya... But to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some people just can't let the ONE slacker get one over on them... They can't let it go.

Sure Chicago is helped by geography FIRST and FOREMOST. People really don't want to bail, so it works even better.

Come to Chicago, you will see a great city that works.

WARNING: You may be jealous. Leave that bag at the door.

Ya... But to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some people just can't let the ONE slacker get one over on them... They can't let it go.

Sure Chicago is helped by geography FIRST and FOREMOST. People really don't want to bail, so it works even better.

Come to Chicago, you will see a great city that works.

WARNING: You may be jealous. Leave that bag at the door.

I LOVE Chicago. I think it's a great city. I've been there a number of times and think it's great. Nice and clean (vs. NYC, which I also love) great fun, great bars, great people, great waterfront. You don't have to convince me on Chicago.

But it's not just one slacker (so the theory goes). The Teacher's union is just the easiest example I can come up with right now for you. Do you know about the KIPP charter schools in New York? These schools work mostly because their school day is much longer than the rest. As soon as these schools started showing up the standard public schools, the head of the teacher's union demanded that the school cut back on the hours because the teachers there were part of the union. The long hours were the whole point of the school!!! The point is: this was something that was working for the kids, and the union came in and tried to blow it up (unsuccessfully). You could conceivably see this playing itself out over and over again in other, different settings.

I LOVE Chicago. I think it's a great city. I've been there a number of times and think it's great. Nice and clean (vs. NYC, which I also love) great fun, great bars, great people, great waterfront. You don't have to convince me on Chicago.

Oops sorry for the pitch! Chicago is what BFLO would be if BFLO was blessed with great commercial geography, not fleeting like the geography BFLO has.

No question about it, but Chicago wouldn't be so great if overrun with tens of thousands of additional security, media and tourists.

In the last two decades, the Olympics has become an overblown, multi-billion dollar headache for any host city. I can't begin to imagine how anyone would want that hassle in their own city. It would be like going into NYC on St. Patrick's Day for two weeks straight -- except with ten times the security.

Besides, you can still root for team USA if the games are held in Rio.

Chicago is New York, only clean. I really really like Chicago, it seems like a very liveable city in spite of the bad rap about crime. I'd live there even though it's flat and the winters suck.

Chicago is New York, only clean. I really really like Chicago, it seems like a very liveable city in spite of the bad rap about crime. I'd live there even though it's flat and the winters suck.

By bad rap did you mean "rap to the head with a 2x4?"?

I'm definitely biased, because I lived in Manhattan for 4 years, but I disagree with the first line. There is nothing like New York... everywhere else just seems like a big town in comparison (for me).

That being said, we moved out of New York and didn't go back because of family life. I loved it there, but I like seeing my kids for more than 20 minutes a day a lot better, and I imagine Chicago has to be better than New York in that regard, too... I'd definitely live in Chicago, too... I can't imagine the winters sucking any more than they do here in WNY!!! I've got 25 WNY winters under my belt, so I think I'd be OK.

By bad rap did you mean "rap to the head with a 2x4?"?

Again... There are only a few places I wouldn't walk in Chicago. I can show them to you some day. Most outsiders freak when they come to where I work... I wouldn't hestitate to walk anywhere near here now... I admit, it is intimidating at first... But you get over that.

Chicago(Land) is a great hometown and a great place to raise a family.

Yes, they have some of the stronest unions and tighest codes... It is still one of the cleanest and safest cities by far.

It is the diversity... Where I live you can go from million dollar digs to the poorest community int he nation... I would still walk around and drive anywhere.

People need to get over their fears... I felt less secure in many other cities.

The spin is ramping up - blame Republicans for wanting to embarrass America, blame Bush...no doubt the race card will be flung sooner or later.

The enabling press will be active all weekend featuring the WH apologists.

I think the opposite... Nobody should be embarassed... The ones that are embarrassed (the media) don't understand the voting process. Or they do understand it, yet feed the masses the dreck.