Olympics

finknottle

Here we go, RIO!!!

:sick::thumbsup::sick::sick::worthy:

Probably not as our President Sarkozy has said Rio had our vote! (he's trying to sell Rafale planes to Lula!) and well if we choose someone he's doomed!!

Sarko is incredible... while there's a lot of lobbying and politics in those olympics choices, he's the only leader i know that has clearly said "his " vote was going to a particular candidate! i'm sure our IOC representant have loved it! (it's always great to look like a muppet in front of all your colleagues!) And i'm sure Madrid, Spain and the rest of Europe have appreciated the french support to the european candidate!!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Blair did the same thing obama's doing. London got the 2012 Olympics with the help of his speaking to the election committees.

http://www.london2012.com/news/media-relea...-2012-olymp.php

.........though I did read an article yesterday that said this would be the last time presidents and such will have that chance to have an ear with the decision makers.

This was precisely my point in starting this thread. When Blair did it, quite a few countries got pissed off - notably the French as the front-runners were London and Paris. There were charges on the legality of his lobbying (apparently the IOC forbids government promotion before certain phases), charges of vote-buying, etc. It soured relations between England and France, even by their standards. And for what?

So - do we really want South America to see the President engaging in what they will perceive as heavy-handed gringoism in stealing the Olympics away from Rio, at a time when we need their cooperation on other issues? Is it really worth it, just so that a few posters here can have their feel-good moment watching a bunch of people from around the world win shiny medals for running and skipping on American soil?

This was precisely my point in starting this thread. When Blair did it, quite a few countries got pissed off - notably the French as the front-runners were London and Paris. There were charges on the legality of his lobbying (apparently the IOC forbids government promotion before certain phases), charges of vote-buying, etc. It soured relations between England and France, even by their standards. And for what?

So - do we really want South America to see the President engaging in what they will perceive as heavy-handed gringoism in stealing the Olympics away from Rio, at a time when we need their cooperation on other issues? Is it really worth it, just so that a few posters here can have their feel-good moment watching a bunch of people from around the world win shiny medals for running and skipping on American soil?

Chicago can keep the IOC flush with cash.

How can London and Paris get pissed off? They have had what? About three games each in the 100 years.

BTW, it was the French and St. Louis (much more historically French in culture than Chicago) that screwed over Chicago in 1904.

I know this is ancient history... Yet, it would be nice to see the games in the heartland... Especially next to a big body of freshwater... It would have different feel IMO.

The day and age as it is, you won't see the games in small towns anymore, especially the summer games... The Lake Placids are a thing of the past, let alone a city like St. Louis again. What I am saying is that there is only one option for the Midwest of the US... Chicago...

Think of the world class cities (in the classic sense):

1. London

2. Paris

3. NYC

4. LA

5. Tokyo

6. Moscow (for all you commie lovers)

Chicago is amazingly off that list never hosting the games.

How can London and Paris get pissed off? They have had what? About three games each in the 100 years.

No, not pissed off at us. I meant they got pissed off at each other, back then, fighting over whether it was appropriate for a head of state - and by extension the state itself - to intervene.

It is South America we risk pissing off by nationalizing the selection.

LOL. An american that does not like baseball is like a frenchman that does not like good wine...

Baseball was about the only sport i watched during the Olympics and basketball and track are the only olympics sports worth a look now... I know americans don't care at all about baseball in the olympics but for us baseball lovers in Europe it's very important as an olympic sport have much more access to public help, funds, recognition than a non olympic sport. It was tough to convince cities/sponsors/schools/mutlisports clubs to build a baseball field, to help a new club, to make some schools buy baseball gear etc... when the sport was olympic, now that it is not anymore it's almost impossible...