Olympics

finknottle

Interesting article from Time. Which is surprising since Obama on the cover of Time is running neck-n-neck with Oprah on the cover of her own magazine.

Gotta admit, I forgot how much real estate and money would be involved in this deal when it goes to Chicago. Billions of dollars over the next seven years, probably buying up land that all his friends are sitting on. This is going to be one major financial coup for Obama and his pals. Should be enough to launder through the unions to fund 2012.

Very interesting.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article from Time. Which is surprising since Obama on the cover of Time is running neck-n-neck with Oprah on the cover of her own magazine.

Gotta admit, I forgot how much real estate and money would be involved in this deal when it goes to Chicago. Billions of dollars over the next seven years, probably buying up land that all his friends are sitting on. This is going to be one major financial coup for Obama and his pals. Should be enough to launder through the unions to fund 2012.

Very interesting.

Yup, I heard someone talking about this on the radio today. I could hear the story if let's say San Diego was up for the Olympics.

"Mr. President how about a trip to Copenhagen to try and get the Olympics to San Diego."

"Nah, I don't owe anyone anything in San Diego."

That is so transparent, how !@#$ing stupid does he think we are?

Forget Detroit, what about Buffalo?

See what happens when you don't raise taxes and create government-run urban stimulus plans? :rolleyes:

Here's a piece correctly calling this boondoggle what it is: A huge, multi billion $ payback to the Chicago machine for putting Obama in the White House. This guy is only 8 months into the job and the corruption is already at this level? Yikes.

That is so transparent, how !@#$ing stupid does he think we are?

Extremely stupid. And he's right. Just look at the majority of this board; these idiots lap up absolutely anything he spews out.

Great job by the Obama's for spending a little bit of time trying to get the Olympics in Chicago. Would be nice to them back in the U.S. and in such a great city.

Just don't spend too much time because dimwitted people will say that there's corruption going on or that he's avoiding issues.

Great job by the Obama's for spending a little bit of time trying to get the Olympics in Chicago. Would be nice to them back in the U.S. and in such a great city.

Kinda flies in the face that the US is putting a new foot forward and doesn't want to be seen as a bully to the rest of the world. The Olympics act is very transparent in its political undertones, because it is a very high profile event for the host country. The appropriate thing to do would have been to let the process work itself through the regular IOC deliberations. The worst thing to do, is to personally lobby to the organizing body for the games to be staged in Chicago.

Just don't spend too much time because dimwitted people will say that there's corruption going on or that he's avoiding issues.

Of course with 10% unemployment, two wars currently active, Korea and Iran nuclear,the president of the US must make it a priority to bring the Olympics to [gasp] Chicago.

Your head is so deep in the sand it is beyond comprehension.

Let me get this straight. If the government doesn't throw shitloads of money at every company that !@#$s up we're going to turn into Brazil? Got it. :rolleyes:

Wow... I am even confused now. How do you make this crap up?

What I am saying is that the US holds itself to a way higher standard than the rest of the world, then beats itself up over it.

I am glad that there are not roving bands of street thugs in Chicago like there is in Rio. All of you guys, keep thinking that there are.

Chicago over Rio is a security paradise.

Of course with 10% unemployment, two wars currently active, Korea and Iran nuclear,the president of the US must make it a priority to bring the Olympics to [gasp] Chicago.

Your head is so deep in the sand it is beyond comprehension.

The type of response I expected. Thank you. Made his priority no. If you watch the news Michele Obama is the one doing most of the pushing for Chicago. He is spending what, a few days on this? And do not question my comprehension because I believe it would be great for the Olympics to be in the U.S.

Oh and the lovely republican march is coming out too. House Minority Leader John Boehner torched President Barack Obama Wednesday for his European trip to pitch the Chicago Olympics bid, criticizing the president for "going to go off to Copenhagen when we've got serious issues here at home that need to be debated."

Two questions for Boehner - Were you upset when Bush went to Olympics and got hammered? I believe the U.S. had major issues then too on top of the conflict in Georgia? What is the republican party doing to fix these problems? Just asking?

Why?

I mean, besides all the obvious union corruption you'll be happy to support.

Because Chicago is the union capital of the world. Just try hanging a velcroed sign on a 10x10 pop-up booth at McCormick Place by yourself for some obscure home improvement convention. Just try it.

Now imagine the Olympics.

Why?

I mean, besides all the obvious union corruption you'll be happy to support.

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes::worthy: Talk about showcasing ones mentality. It's called a sense of national pride. I loved when the Olympics were in the United States in the past and I hope they are in Chicago.

Oh and I forgot to add for all of those with the same mentality... "Bad Bad Union" Feel Better?

Again, great job by the Obama's. It would be great if the Olympics came to Chicago.

You're kidding right. He's the President of the US not the mayor of Chicago. He works for all of us collectively. How does bringing the Olympics to Chicago benefit me in San Francisco? But I'll tell you it is sure to benefit someone who helped get Obama to where he is today. Are you cool with that?

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes::worthy: Talk about showcasing ones mentality. It's called a sense of national pride. I loved when the Olympics were in the United States in the past and I hope they are in Chicago.

Oh and I forgot to add for all of those with the same mentality... "Bad Bad Union" Feel Better?

It's a fricken sporting event you knucklehead. Boy I sure feel a sense of pride knowing that that guy is throwing a javelin into American soil. :doh:

You're kidding right. He's the President of the US not the mayor of Chicago. He works for all of us collectively. How does bringing the Olympics to Chicago benefit me in San Francisco? But I'll tell you it is sure to benefit someone who helped get Obama to where he is today. Are you cool with that?

It's a fricken sporting event you knucklehead. Boy I sure feel a sense of pride knowing that that guy is throwing a javelin into American soil. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, you're right. There's no national pride when it comes to Olympics. What was I thinking? :rolleyes: Guess you didn't give a crap when the USA won the gold in Hockey years ago huh?

I am very cool with Obama... MAINLY Michelle Obama trying to get the Olympics in Chicago.

People just finding more reasons to hate and be pissed. Can't be good for your health. Enjoy the wharf, should be calming these days.

Yeah, you're right. There's no national pride when it comes to Olympics. What was I thinking? :rolleyes: Guess you didn't give a crap when the USA won the gold in Hockey years ago huh?

I am very cool with Obama... MAINLY Michelle Obama trying to get the Olympics in Chicago.

People just finding more reasons to hate and be pissed. Can't be good for your health. Enjoy the wharf, should be calming these days.

Of course I gave a crap about the hockey team winning the medal. But it was because they won the medal, not that the games were in Lake Placid. If the games were in Moscow that would have been even better! If a politician is going to pimp Chicago have at it. But don't you think that should come from a current politician in the Chicago area like say the mayor? Don't you think that there is a tiny bit of a possibility that Obama is doing this to pay back the people that got him where he is? Do you think he would he do it if the games were a possibility in San Diego, or Miami or Seattle?

Of course I gave a crap about the hockey team winning the medal. But it was because they won the medal, not that the games were in Lake Placid. If the games were in Moscow that would have been even better! If a politician is going to pimp Chicago have at it. But don't you think that should come from a current politician in the Chicago area like say the mayor? Don't you think that there is a tiny bit of a possibility that Obama is doing this to pay back the people that got him where he is? Do you think he would he do it if the games were a possibility in San Diego, or Miami or Seattle?

In other words you had a sense of National Pride in sports. Ok. Sure the mayor of the city can and has been making the push for the Olympics... what is the problem with Michelle Obama helping out? What is the problem with the President taking a few days to help out as well. Use some of his popularity around the world to help out? Nothing is wrong with that. Nothing at all.

And yes, I feel as though if another city was in the remaining few he would do the same for them. Not everything has to have some sort of evil backroom dealing going on. ie: People stating he's only doing this to help those who helped him get into office - corrupt Chicago politics.