Classic v. modern cars

bills_fan

I'm surprised by that too. I'll readily concede that in "car vs immovable object" collisions the newer, safer, better engineered car would fare better.

But in car vs car, I would think simple physics would take precedence. That Bel Air has gotta weigh almost a ton more than the modern version. I actually wonder if that really was a fair test, i.e. did they like remove the engines 1st.

When I was a kid, I saw a car vs dump truck collision. The truck was basically unscathed.

No way! The old car I figured would be far worse.

Off the top of my head, just to name a few features the '59 didn't have:

Collapsing steering wheel

Nice "soft" plastic interior and lines along the mirror, etc...

Safety glass on the windshield

Sure the guy who slammed into James Dean walked away from this Ford Custom, but James Dean was driving a small Porsche Spyder from the same period...

IMO, it is kinda like athletes now and then... The game isn't any better, just bigger... Yet, if you put old vs. new, and played by the old rules with new tech and equipment... The new players would smear the old in size and power alone.

I'm surprised by that too. I'll readily concede that in "car vs immovable object" collisions the newer, safer, better engineered car would fare better.

But in car vs car, I would think simple physics would take precedence. That Bel Air has gotta weigh almost a ton more than the modern version. I actually wonder if that really was a fair test, i.e. did they like remove the engines 1st.

When I was a kid, I saw a car vs dump truck collision. The truck was basically unscathed.

Maybe if one is wearing safety belts... Were they standard on the 1959? Probably not... That is why it is a period thing. Even with the belts, you may be hitting the number one death causer back then... The static stearing wheel. Not cool being impaled on that.

It isn't the big things that lead to say Volvo pushing safety belts... It is the small things with heinous results that were being seen in the ER room. Not cool if the stylized mirror kills you because it was imbeded into the brain.

The simple things!